Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My First Official Get Lost Commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 03:30 PM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I drive about 250 miles a day for my job, so I an unable to commute like you guys. However, this week I'm in Birmingham, AL at our corporate office for managers meetings, so I decided since it National Bike to Work Week that I would rent a road bike and ride it back and forth from the Bike Shop to Hotel to Office.

I made my own que sheets so I wouldn't get lost. I'm not really familiar with Birmingham escpeically where the the bike shop was located. I only stay in the downtown area whenever I come to the quarterly visits.

I had a small voice tell me to verify my starting route with the bike shop people, but I didn't. Well long story short for my first commute, I ended up going in the wrong direction in the beginning and instead of turning around I decided to pick a road and head in the direction I thought would take me downtown. Well, that didn't work. So here I was on my first commute in a big city that I'm not familiar with and I have no clue where I am.

Luckily I had my laptop in a backpack and have Delorme Map program, and I was able to orientate myself, but by then I was way off track.

I have no clue how far I travelled but it took me 2 hours to get back to my hotel. Just thought you guys would get a kick out my story.
Old 05-13-08, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
War Eagle
Old 05-13-08, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Too bad you couldn't have rented a gps unit.

I hate doing anything in cities I am unfamiliar with. My sense of direction is tied to landmarks and Denver has an easy one off to the west named the rockies. How anyone can get lost around here when they can see the mountains is beyond me.
Old 05-13-08, 04:42 PM
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the MAPP.

Someone should watch Dora...
Old 05-13-08, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
God No!