Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Colorado National Monument via Jetstream XP: Starting the new year in style!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 07:36 PM
Not-quite-geezer RVer

Bikes: 2013 Ibis Mojo HDR 650B; 2008 Dahon Jetstream XP; 2003 KHS F20 Westwood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, my biking log showed 121 rides totaling 2459 miles in 2008, all logged on my KHS Westwood and Dahon Jetstream XP folding 20er bikes. That is up a bit from 2007's total of 2182 miles, but unfortunately, my miles on dirt dropped to 1244 from 1422, while the miles on pavement increased from 759 to 1216.

I aspire to correct that trend in 2009 and ride more dirt (heh).

That said, I started the new year off with a road riding classic, Rim Rock Drive through the Colorado National Monument here in Grand Junction, that logged 50 miles into the "wrong" column right off the bat. Been pretty cooped up for the last couple of weeks with snow and ice and have only barely been able to ride the trails, so decided to swap out my knobby tires for the Marathon Racer semi-slicks the bike came with, pump up the shocks to "almost rigid" pressures, and hit the road.

The morning started off at a chilly 18 degrees, which felt much colder with the wind chill on my face at the 15-20 mph speeds I was able to maintain with relatively little effort with these tires. It was so cold I didn't want to go as fast as I could, which is pretty strange!

Soon enough though, the road turned uphill, and I had about a 500 foot climb on Monument Road from town to the entrance to the national park. That slowed me down and made me work, and I started to warm up a bit and figured I was going to survive the day after all. The red cliffs of the monument were starting to poke through the morning haze ahead, which also helped keep me spinning:

By the time I reached the park entrance, the skies were clearing out nicely, and I paused to remove a few layers of clothing before starting the biggest climb of the ride:

The main climb of the day was about 1000 feet of vertical in 4 miles. I must say it almost felt like cheating to do a climb like that on pavement instead of dirt, but I'll take it:

Switchbacks are always fun!

Ominous skies to the east, but luckily, I was heading west:

A 300 foot long tunnel bores straight through one of the large stone ribs that characterize the landscape:

There wasn't much traffic on the road, but I sprinted up through the dark tunnel as fast as I could anyway, and emerged to find that the other side looked a lot different:

After a while I reached the rim at around 6000 feet. The road up top winds along the rim of the canyons and offers many overlooks. It had been only intermittently plowed, and was frequently covered with a thin layer of packed snow that rolled very well indeed. The packed snow offered plenty of traction, and I was comfortable cruising at around 20 mph on the flats. Great fun!

Rim Rock Drive is definitely the "scenic route" between the two mountain biking meccas of Grand Junction and Fruita. This is just one of the many incredible views better savored by bike than car, just off the side of the road:

The Bookcliffs peeked through the haze from this overlook:

[continues below...]

Last edited by FoldsinHalf; 01-04-09 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 07:37 PM
Not-quite-geezer RVer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This long, curvy, moderate downhill was most welcome after topping out around 6600 feet (never mind that l'd be going back up this in about an hour!):

One excuse after another for a rest stop presented itself:

Independence Rock with the Grand Mesa beyond:

This spectacular bit of road is carved into a huge sheer cliff:

I hit the posted speed limit (and my max of the day) of 35 mph somewhere along this rare dry stretch:

At the 25 mile mark, I reached the visitor center near the Fruita end around 1:30 and had a snack. The woman behind the counter seemed quite surprised that I had ridden over from Grand Junction through the snow, but sold me a Gatorade anyway and wished me a safe trip back:

I decided I better skip the final descent to Fruita, as I would probably not make it back before dark if I had to turn around and make that side's 4 mile, 1000 foot climb right back up, so I took in a little more scenery and started the moderate 700 foot grind back to the high point in the middle:

The trip back was considerably more challenging than the trip over had been. The 7 miles of steady "moderate" climbing took its toll on my legs which were now approaching 3000 feet of climbing for the day. But the real bummer was that the thin layer of nice grippy packed snow I had enjoyed in the morning had evaporated by the afternoon, leaving lots of random bare ice slicks and slushy spots to contend with on the long gentle downhill cruise along the rim. That limited me to more like 5-10 mph rather than the effortless 15-25 I had been looking forward to during the climb, but it was still highly entertaining, if a bit slow.

With the sun getting low and the temps dropping back into the 20s, I re-donned all my layers at the aptly-named Cold Shivers Point before starting the steep 4 mile plunge I had climbed in the morning:

Sweet looking road, no?

Overall, I thought the bike performed great on its first outing in "road" trim since I got it in September. Fast, stable, solid, all that good stuff. I got back to the motorhome with the odometer showing 50.42 miles and 4:29 of riding, for an average of 11.2 mph. The ice and snow clearly hurt that average by a couple mph, but it made for a beautiful and challenging ride that seemed more like mountain biking than road riding for much of it, so I couldn't complain too much!

Happy New Year, and good riding to all.

Last edited by FoldsinHalf; 01-03-09 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 09:31 PM
These go to eleven

Bikes: BF Pocket Crusoe; B Tikit; dust-gathering MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, just wow. I love your posts and they are inspiring! I hope you continue to share them.
Old 01-03-09, 11:31 PM
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to college in Grand Junction, guitar player in my old band lives in Fruita, and my in-laws live in Delta. Thanks for reminding me how much I miss home. Truly beautiful pics

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 01-04-09, 12:32 AM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep those posts coming! Your mobile lifestyle seems to bring you to many amazing places. Those of us stuck in one place can live vicariously through your great pics
Old 01-04-09, 04:31 AM

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Just one word...Spectacular!

Regards,
Edward
Old 01-04-09, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW, thanks for the pics and report! After reading this thread, I had to go out and ride my folding bike for an hour or so.
Old 01-04-09, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic pictures! I love your bike. Does the suspension work ok when the temperature goes below 0C° (32F)? And are you happy with the DualDrive gear system – reliable? I’m a bit annoyed with my Brompton clone suspension – today it was -8° (17F) and the suspension block was like a stone (I have tried three materials and they all freeze).

Last edited by maranen; 01-04-09 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-04-09, 01:55 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Great light, great road, great bike, great photos - thanks for sharing!
Old 01-04-09, 02:09 PM
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, those pictures are amazing. I'm glad you posted, because hopefully people can see what these little folders are capable of.
Old 01-04-09, 04:20 PM
Not-quite-geezer RVer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everybody for the kind words. Glad y'all are enjoying the pics and gaining inspiration to ride--that's the idea! I enjoy the post-ride "art project" aspect almost as much as the rides themselves, so I'll try to keep sharing as time permits. Note that I've started archiving copies of the better ones here on our website too, if you'd like to browse "back issues".

Originally Posted by maranen
Fantastic pictures! I love your bike. Does the suspension work ok when the temperature goes below 0C° (32F)? And are you happy with the DualDrive gear system – reliable? I’m a bit annoyed with my Brompton clone suspension – today it was -8° (17F) and the suspension block was like a stone (I have tried three materials and they all freeze).
The Jetstream XP comes with a rather fancy (and rather pricey) German A fork that darn well better work in the cold!

It's based on an air/oil shock rather than elastomers, and so far seems to perform normally (which is to say, great) in sub-freezing conditions. For the road ride, I pumped up the pressure so it didn't move much anyway, but I did a trail ride in the snow here a few weeks before and it moved fine at my usual low pressure setting.

The DualDrive hub and X.9 der/shifter combination has also been working perfectly even when partially encrusted in snow. Of course one of the claimed benefits of the hub is its relative immunity to mud and stuff, so I wasn't too surprised about that one working well. But the cassette-side has also worked flawlessly, what was a bit of a surprise because I've had those freeze up on me in the past and become quite balky. I think the fully-jacketed cables on this bike help a lot in that respect also--I really like that Dahon did that.

Last edited by FoldsinHalf; 01-04-09 at 04:30 PM.