Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gary Fisher Dual Sport question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi this is my first post as a new guy here on the forum, I am also very new to biking. I just purchased a Gary Fisher Dual Sport Montare and was wanting to know if anyone had any opinions on this bike. I was wanting it mainly for road riding, to get in shape, but also to ride off road once in a while to get to some fishing areas I like. The question I have is I know nothing about bikes and the LBS pushed this one, is there better brands/models out there for the same dollars. Thanks in advance for any replys.
Old 04-18-05, 02:16 PM
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple answer: for the price range you paid for bike (I don't know how much you paid)... chances are a different brand offering the same type of Hybrid bike will be about the same in terms of the type of frame (aluminum) and the components.

Gary Fisher bikes are good bikes so don't be upset with what you bought.
Old 04-18-05, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply, its always nice to get some feedback when your not an experienced person with this kind of equipment.
Old 04-19-05, 07:18 AM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS gave me one of these as a loaner while they waited for my new wheel to come in and I hated giving it back. I had it for 4 days and put over 100 miles on it and LOVED IT! I don't know how much they sell these bikes for, but if I had tested one of these before dropping $300 on my current commuter I would be riding a differant bike right now.
If I could go back in time and purchase a new bike, my current one is a Trek Hybrid 7100, I'd gladly chock up a few hundred extra $$'s to get one of these.
Old 04-19-05, 08:13 AM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Dual Sports are excellent high-performance hybrids. It should excel for your described usage. Stop with the buyer's remorse and go ride it.
Old 04-19-05, 03:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, thanks Waldo, I have a very bad habit of getting buyers remorse, with my lack of experience it is nice to hear from someone that what I bought is of decent quality. I have been enjoying riding it, most days I try to get in at least a few miles before work (although that means getting up at 4am, ugh!). I thought my flyfishing habit was bad with how far you can take gearing yourself up with stuff. Lol, I bought the bike, then a bunch of "biking" clothes, "biking" shoes, computer, pump, lights it could go on forever. It makes me laugh to think that I have finally found something that will give my fishing habit a run for its money. Now if I can just figure out how to afix a 10ft, 7wt rod to the bike without having to break it down, any suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-19-05, 08:45 PM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^
I am arguably the king of buyer's remorse, so I know how it goes. Once you get some good rides in I would imagine you'll be quite pleased.
One of our sales reps was a very avid fisherman and he managed to spend outrageous (to me, completely ignorant of the sport) amounts of money on his gear, so it should be interesting to see which sport comes out on top.
Old 04-19-05, 09:40 PM
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Waldo
The Dual Sports are excellent high-performance hybrids. It should excel for your described usage. Stop with the buyer's remorse and go ride it.
That's good to know, Waldo!

My LBS just started carrying Gary Fisher bikes this year (although he's an "old line" Trek dealer), and I am looking for that type of bike...flat bar, wide 700c wheels (with stays to match for such tires as my Nokian Hakkapellitas!), disc brakes! , just enough suspension to take the "sting" out of corrugated ice patches and moonscape pavement!! ...that type of thing!

The Trek "FX" series bikes don't fit--the cockpit's too cramped if I can find a frame I can 'stand over"!
The "Sirrus" disc and the Trek 520 both have tire "fit" problems ( Really "big" or "fat" 700c tires such as the Hakkas don't fit!). And..sometimes...I just don't want to ride a "city bike"...even in winter (that's why I bought the Hakkas!).

And..above all...the "Sugar" 29-ers are just too much bike for commuting...even in the winter! (Front suspension can be useful for winter traction, but a "dually" would be overkill. And, thief bait!!
)

I'll have to go in soon, and hope there are some available for test rides. If one fits...how about Bike #20....!

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"