Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What did you do with your stuff?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What did you do with your stuff?

Old 04-18-05, 12:03 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
For those of you who have hit the road for an extended tour, what did you do with your stuff?

-- Your apartment/house?

-- Your furniture?

-- Your household accessories? (books, ornaments, CDs, stereo, dishes, etc.)

-- Your computer and all the information on it?

-- Your clothing?

-- Your other bicycles?

-- Your pets?

Did you sell them, give them away, put them into storage??

~~~***~~~

I gave up my apartment when my lease expired.

I sold and gave away most of my furniture, then put the few pieces that mattered to me into storage.

I kept most of the accessories (gave away some) . . . but I think I need to go through those soon and see if I can get rid of more of them.

I kept my computer and put it into storage, but also backed everything up on CD. Seems I may need a new computer now and I'm not sure what route I'm going to go with that . . . possibly something portable??

I gave away about half my clothing and put the rest into storage. I should probably look at getting rid of more.

I kept all my other bicycles - they went into storage.

I gave my pets to my parents until I returned.

And you???

Last edited by Machka; 04-18-05 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-18-05, 12:21 AM
pierced member

Bikes: Shogun Cromoly 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sold everything that couldn't be shipped to my destination (or gave it away), which meant me paring down my valuables to a rolling suitcase and backpack. Very liberating to let go of all that crap.
I would never let go of the computer, but I have a Powerbook, so it can travel, too.
Old 04-18-05, 12:36 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by tourbike
Sold everything that couldn't be shipped to my destination (or gave it away), which meant me paring down my valuables to a rolling suitcase and backpack. Very liberating to let go of all that crap.
I would never let go of the computer, but I have a Powerbook, so it can travel, too.

I seriously thought about doing that, but when it came down to it ... I just couldn't let go of everything.

How small is that Powerbook? I'm assuming it is a laptop???
Old 04-18-05, 12:53 AM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Howdy -

I'd like to bring another perspective to this posting. You see I'm about 12 to 15 years older and both my parents have passed away - - my mother just recently. I inherited my mother's cats since she lived with me at the end of her life. Also, since she had Alzheimer's - neither cat has particularly good house habits. Yet, one in particular, comforted and soothed her as her world became smaller and smaller. So I believe, quite emphatically, that these cats deserve a comfortable retirement. My cat thinks otherwise and would like to find them a one-way ticket to Antarctica.

So - now I have three cats to consider when I take off for a tour. And I'm a big marshmellow, so I want them to be happy, too. I have found that caring for these cats means maintaining my house during the months of my travelling and offering a pet-sitting trade-off for housing rather than rent for someone to stay with them. Kinda ratchets up the expense of heading off into the wild blue yonder.

I remember when I could sublet my apartment near campus, put my stuff in my parents' basement, and leave my cat to terrorize my Mom's cats all summer. But those days are in the past and I have to find new approaches if I am to continue touring.

Best - J
Old 04-18-05, 01:05 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jamawani
Howdy -

I'd like to bring another perspective to this posting. You see I'm about 12 to 15 years older and both my parents have passed away - - my mother just recently. I inherited my mother's cats since she lived with me at the end of her life. Also, since she had Alzheimer's - neither cat has particularly good house habits. Yet, one in particular, comforted and soothed her as her world became smaller and smaller. So I believe, quite emphatically, that these cats deserve a comfortable retirement. My cat thinks otherwise and would like to find them a one-way ticket to Antarctica.

So - now I have three cats to consider when I take off for a tour. And I'm a big marshmellow, so I want them to be happy, too. I have found that caring for these cats means maintaining my house during the months of my travelling and offering a pet-sitting trade-off for housing rather than rent for someone to stay with them. Kinda ratchets up the expense of heading off into the wild blue yonder.

I remember when I could sublet my apartment near campus, put my stuff in my parents' basement, and leave my cat to terrorize my Mom's cats all summer. But those days are in the past and I have to find new approaches if I am to continue touring.

Best - J
Actually, you're only 9 years older than I am, but I can sort of relate to the cat issue.

When I went to Europe for 3 weeks in 2003, I got a pet sitter for my two. That worked, but it was quite expensive.

When I went to Australia for 3 months in 2004, I brought my two cats to my parent's place. My mother already has 2 cats, so we brought the four of them together. I had to laugh at your "one-way ticket to Antarctica" comment. I think all four have entertained those thoughts!!

I sympathize ... it's difficult with pets especially when they become part of the family.
Old 04-18-05, 01:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just rolled out the door and gave everything to my brother

It was nice because I didn't have to throw/sell it all away for cheap. And it went to someone I love.
Old 04-18-05, 04:25 AM
Evil Genius

Bikes: '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm not in a monitary way for travel at the moment but in preperation I am not getting any pets(the last kicked off of old age a while ago). I don't own a house or condo and leaving a rented place is no prob. that's the whole point of renting. And my stuff, well I'm trying to sell and reduce it to bare bones anyway so I can invest the little bit I get rather than having a bunch stuff that's loosing value while I only use it one every year or two, or clothes that will never see daylight again. (and I can't find anything that I need in the mass anyway so it will work out)
The only problem has been getting people to listen when I say "don't get me anything" for birthday, holiday, house warming, etc. (Really folks I don't want that crap or I would have bought it myself. And what's with christmas, why not trade one $20 bill for another, it would make as much sense?)

From that point it is a few boxes of keepsakes that any family member would stash in a closet, loft, or attic for me, the vehicals would be sold in advance, and the last bits would go to any freind or family that needed them(pots pans, dishes, a touch of furniture)
Old 04-18-05, 06:11 AM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Apartment – gave it up to embrace the homeless lifestyle.
Furniture – girlfriend took most of it, friends and family took some and tossed away the rest.
Personal goods – storage in ex-employers warehouse.
Computer - I have an exchange programme with a geek brother.
Clothing – I would take what I needed and replaced it as it wore out and exchange it when I visited my stuff at the warehouse.
Bicycles, canoe, guitars, tools and other sporting goods – stored at warehouse, friend, brother and parents.
Pets – put them down. Actually, I’ve never had pets, but my ex-girlfriend worked for a vet and had a client that actually did this before a vacation!

Not sure how I will do it next time, maybe rent my place out as a furnished apartment. However it is too far in the future to start planing at this point, but it is always in the back of my mind. Now that I have been settled for 6 months now, I am organising my stuff and getting rid of thing I don’t use so I have the bare necessities when the time comes to move or travel.

Old 04-18-05, 11:37 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It is very liberating to downsize your life and travel more - but it takes time to figure it out, and everyone's situation is different. Over the course of the past 5 years I went from a stressful executive position, too many toys, and a 3 bedroom house with a huge yard - to project-based work, a simpler lifestyle and an apartment. I had also lost my two retrievers of old age, which brought a big void, but also freedom from that responsibility.

When I downsized, I threw all my stuff into storage at first and have been slowly whittling it down but I still have way too much, partly due to too many hobbies and interests, and have spent far more than it's worth over the past few years to store it all. But I don't believe in throwing away, so stuff has to find a home. The fun part is keeping the things that really work, are useful, and add value to your life, and getting rid of all the rest.

I even tried giving up my apartment last year, and lived for six months in an Airstream trailer while exploring the northwest part of the country, but found I needed a permanent place to call home and didn't like the nomadic lifestyle. So I have found that for me there are certain fixed expenses associated with keeping an apartment, a car, storage, and insurance, that are unavoidable. For me that is the minimum, but ultimately I think we all find ways to make it work so we get what we need to meet our priorities, whatever they are.
Old 04-19-05, 07:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sold last properties a few years ago, now live in apts, 6 months leases only, trips longer than a month stuff goes into storage, and a new apt when I return.
Pet? A tuffer prob. Have had the li'l guy for 9 yrs and CAN'T give him up permanently so I figure his pet sitter as part of my travel expense.

MTNROADS
I did the Airstream thing 2 yrs ago from Fl to Brit Col. went for 4 months had the best time, took a HOSING when I sold it, but did it once and thats all, glad I did it when gas was .50$ to .75$ cleaper. Bit Col and the NW are fantastic places
Old 04-19-05, 10:23 AM
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey this is a decent thread, as I'm pondering a crosscountry move in 18months. I'm thinking I'll resign my job 3-4-5 months before the move, and cycle cross country (?Northern tier, then Pacific Coast for a bit). I'd fly back, then drive out again.

Between giving my brother a bunch of my stuff, selling a bunch, and storing the rest I should have little enough stuff left to put in a smallish U-haul. I'm thinking the bulkiest of my stuff will be the bikes I want to take with me.

Alternativeley I think you can now rent "mobile" storage bins, that can be shipped to near your destination. Supposedley they are dropped off at say, your house/apartment, you fill it up+they pick it up. Has anyone gone this route, or heard of such?

Luckily, I've no pets to worry about-that'd be a major worry if I did.

[EDIT] If I were to use a Uhaul, I'd rent a just small trailer.
Old 04-19-05, 11:06 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone once said, "Life begins when the last kid leaves home and the dog dies." Having said that, another cat showed up at the back porch last month. We opened the door and he walked in, demanding food and petting. He got both and set down permanent stakes at once. Oh well.
Old 04-19-05, 01:15 PM
Baz
pedalphile

Bikes: For dirt: Brodie Climbmax. For touring: IF Independance. For Commuting: Reflecto-Fixie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apartment and furniture - Sublet to my sister's friends.
Stuff (clothes, computer, bikes, etc.) - In my Dad's basement
Dog - I found a retired couple who is happy to take him for a while.

The dog was the toughest to work out. He's lovely, but old, and requires to be let out every four hours or so. I basically just started spreading the word early to all my friends and eventually a set of grandparents stepped up.
Old 04-19-05, 05:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm leaving on a three month tour this summer, and actually found a subletter for the exact time period (someone who wanted the furniture, too!). My personal goods that are worth anything (powerbook, electric guitar) will live in a relative's closet for the summer.

Having pets would have made it practically impossible...
Old 04-20-05, 01:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck with the subleter. Last time my ex-girlfriend subletted to a friend of a friend, she came back and got hit with a huge phone bill, huge electric bill and damages to the apartment, amounting to twice what the jerk paid her. Hope you know the person well.

Have a great tour otherwise
Old 04-20-05, 03:03 AM
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a notebook/portable computer, especially for one who rides as much as you. Just my experience, but I commute only 3 miles round trip a day over fair roads, and my laptop couldn't handle even that in a well padded case inside a pannier. Hard drive problems. Gateway lappy.

There are plenty who successfully tote a laptop or gadget of some sort, and they'll regale you with the coolness of it and whatnot. I just rarely hear the odd person or two that convinces me they needed this portable computing. It's usually a "listen to music," "punch in a few notes," or "bump around the 'net" story I hear.

To each her own, I guess. Considering that you'll likely be on the move, I suggest not making a laptop the centerpiece of your communications and record-keeping. One failure and you're potentially SOL.

Don't know your computing needs, but a full featured PDA/cell phone might be the ticket. Some come with folding keyboards for easier data entry. Phone, note taking, organizer, music, games, (very) modest photography, transmit files (including photos). These gadgets, like a Palm Treo, are pretty handy. Just an alternative that travels well.
Old 04-20-05, 03:08 AM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon P
Pets – put them down.
I about pooped on myself upon reading this.
Old 04-20-05, 02:34 PM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking at the end of May to have the apartment cleaned out and the fire ignighted to send me on my way. There is such an incredible rush thinking about this, and has been a real hassle for about a month now. I was fired 3/10. I just put in for the retirement check to be sent to me. I'll have three checks to take with me and then that's it.
The landlord is a little leery of my cat now. Evidently Hobbes tried to attack him. I am sending all relatives an email if they want or need dressers/chest of drawers two new babes in the family, something tells me they might need some. I have a friend for the TVs and then it's just box up the rest of the stuff. 5 and half weeks, is that enough? I keep wondering what would keep me from this. Barring a major earthquake I don't know of anything that will keep me.
Old 04-20-05, 03:32 PM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
And one time I didn't even get a person to sublet - but left my room mate with my share of the rent and utilities for 3 months. I came back to find her gone - phone cut off - electricity cut off - and a threatening letter from the landlord under the door. Found out she bought a new wardrobe with the money I had left her - then couldn't pay the bills. Seems she had money management "issues" - - oh, well - - you live and, hopefully, you learn.
Old 04-20-05, 07:44 PM
pierced member

Bikes: Shogun Cromoly 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I seriously thought about doing that, but when it came down to it ... I just couldn't let go of everything.

How small is that Powerbook? I'm assuming it is a laptop???
15" Powerbook, 1 inch slim. I still have to find a way to safely ride with it, but a Ortlieb Rear Roller bag and laptop sleeve should do the trick...
Old 04-20-05, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tourbike
15" Powerbook, 1 inch slim. I still have to find a way to safely ride with it, but a Ortlieb Rear Roller bag and laptop sleeve should do the trick...
A thought: Make up a pouch of bubblewrap. I've done this for a laptop I tote to and from work with just a small, ordinary pannier. Cut the bubblewrap to double size plus more for the closure, and tape up the edges with gaffer/duct tape (the fabric kind). Ensure the flap folds over halfway at least. The resulting bag is resilient, reduces shock and is I think quite waterproof. It might wear out a little faster as the bubbles burst, but it's dirt cheap to make up another one.

I am making up a pouch now for my PocketMail (seeing the makers are quite specific about the unit being non-waterproof) and I want it to last. I'll probably end up putting the pouch and unit into a small, light fold-down drybag and keeping it in my Topeak handlebar bag (which is not waterproof but has a rain cover).
Old 04-20-05, 11:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcasillo
I wouldn't recommend a notebook/portable computer, especially for one who rides as much as you. Just my experience, but I commute only 3 miles round trip a day over fair roads, and my laptop couldn't handle even that in a well padded case inside a pannier. Hard drive problems. Gateway lappy.
Don't know your computing needs, but a full featured PDA/cell phone might be the ticket. Some come with folding keyboards for easier data entry. Phone, note taking, organizer, music, games, (very) modest photography, transmit files (including photos). These gadgets, like a Palm Treo, are pretty handy. Just an alternative that travels well.
Agree. My Toshiba lasted 500 miles then it died. Now I have PDA that has alot of functions. Durable, lovely, light, 8-10hrs. batter life on single charge. It's a 5 year old HP Jornada. I don't know if they even make them anymore.
Old 04-21-05, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mooncricket
Agree. My Toshiba lasted 500 miles then it died. Now I have PDA that has alot of functions. Durable, lovely, light, 8-10hrs. batter life on single charge. It's a 5 year old HP Jornada. I don't know if they even make them anymore.
Apparently, it went out of production some time ago.