Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Chain Lube

Old 04-18-05, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Lube

After cleaning my bike, what kind of lube should I use for my chain and other parts of the bike that need oiling/lubing after cleaning?
Old 04-18-05, 02:04 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its controversial. The best oil I have used is tri flow
Old 04-18-05, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I just didnt know if there was a kind to stay away from or anything. We have some generic chain lube at the house that you get at Autozone and such and wasnt sure if that was a bad idea.
Old 04-18-05, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about WD-40? Maybe he could use that? Might not work very well, I don't know. A heck of a lot cheaper than real lube though.
Old 04-18-05, 05:15 PM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WD40 doesnt last.
like trio flow, im not fond of the spray can because its a pain but i believe it comes in drip bottles which i plan to get next. they have these waxes out there but i seem to need to relube every 50 miles so its rather pathetic. Not to mention it comes off just by riding in humid air, and never mind stream crossings because your chain will rust by the end of the ride
Old 04-18-05, 05:16 PM
biketilldeath

Bikes: 2005 Norco Aline:D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
although wd40 does have some lubrication properties its mostly a penetrating oil which meeans it breaks down other oils so mabey ok for a chain but not for anything else.
Old 04-18-05, 06:25 PM
chopsockey

Bikes: Monkey SS everythingbike, Ti frankenroadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tri-flo synthetic or Phil's Tenacious Oil. Oil (or synthetic oil) is typically better for wetter climates, as oil and water don't mix -> repel. For dustier climates, though, I preferred a teflon based lube (again tri-flow).

Sheldon Brown has some words of wisdom.
Old 04-18-05, 06:32 PM
biketilldeath

Bikes: 2005 Norco Aline:D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i actually have a wax based lube for dry and it works really well
Old 04-18-05, 07:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use White Lightning wax lube and it seems to work pretty well. I think the wax type lubes are more suitable for primarily dry conditions and the oil type lubes are aimed more towards wet conditions. This is a subject where there are a ton of different opinions as to which type of lube and which brand is best. Good luck!
Old 04-18-05, 10:33 PM

Bikes: '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whitle Lightning wax is great. Pedro's stuff (all of it) is also exceptional.

As for WD40 are you people friggin nuts? That crap is not made to be used with dirt and grime and will screw up your drivetrain quick, fast and in a hurry.

I'm not sure why some people feel the need to give advice when they literally have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
Old 04-19-05, 02:14 PM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedros ice wax could be better. But you have to reapply it constantly for any positive effect!! Stick with oil
Old 04-19-05, 02:20 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use tri flow. Cheap easy to get and it does the job.
Old 04-19-05, 02:28 PM
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using white lightning for a long time now. I clean my chain on a regular basis, and when I lube the chain, I wipe it down. The lube needs to be IN the chain not necessarily on the outside.

I have been considering trying out Hippie Slick on my commuter first, and then trying it on my MTB.

My suggestion is to consider your climate, i.e. wet, dry, snow, etc. then decide on a chain lube. I used to have two boxes, one winter and one summer. Winter had the Pedro's lube, and my cold water boardwax (used to surf), and the summer had a thinner chain lube and my warm water boardwax.
Old 04-19-05, 06:46 PM
Bicycle Rider & Mechanic

Bikes: Superlight, Dragon Team, Eclipse, Om Flyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use tri flow and wet Syn lube made by Pedros it works good.
Old 04-19-05, 06:50 PM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
syn lube is great stuff for its application. I give it a 5/5 for rain/snow. I know people complain it picks up dirt but folks on the bottle it says "for extreme conditions". If its a wet oil who woulda guessed it picks up dirt. And after it rains or whatnot your chains clean anyways
Old 04-19-05, 06:53 PM
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Bosheilds T-9 it is da best. Lubes without collecting dirt, sand etc. I use it as a cleaner and lube. Spray it on wipe then respray, wait about two hours or overnight and wipe again and ride it. I'm a professional mechanic and shop owner and I have used it all and this is the best chain lube I have ever used. I use it on my MTB, road and commuter bikes as well as in my shop.
Old 04-19-05, 06:54 PM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wheel Doctor
Try Bosheilds T-9 it is da best. Lubes without collecting dirt, sand etc. I use it as a cleaner and lube. Spray it on wipe then respray, wait about two hours or overnight and wipe again and ride it. I'm a professional mechanic and shop owner and I have used it all and this is the best chain lube I have ever used. I use it on my MTB, road and commuter bikes as well as in my shop.
Ive heard good things about the stuff. my LBS doesnt sell it, well at least the closest one. So i never bothered
Old 04-19-05, 08:06 PM
THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!!

Bikes: HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used everything from Liquid Wrench, WD-40, Dry Spray Lube, Quaker State 10W40, to the high $$$ stuff....

Bottom line is it don't matter after the 2nd mud hole.... That's why I choose whatever.
Old 04-19-05, 08:12 PM
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boeshield T9 works great for me.
Old 04-20-05, 12:50 AM
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a motorcycle spray on chain lube, but it collects sand like flies on sh*t when its dry, though it really hangs on when its wet. I'm still looking for a real good one size fits all system.
Old 04-20-05, 12:55 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by swifferman
What about WD-40? Maybe he could use that? Might not work very well, I don't know. A heck of a lot cheaper than real lube though.
Must you troll? You're supposedly a lot more intelligent than this (or so I'm told) why not act like it?

Back to the topic. Prolink Gold
Old 04-20-05, 01:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pro Link Gold would will suit most conditions, it's pretty wet here in Australia and Pro Link works well in wet and dry! Like with anything that moves on your bike it has a "sell by" date. Cleaning then lubing youe chain will only increase its longevity. Wipe off the excess when lubed up to avoid mud from clinging to it.
Old 04-20-05, 03:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CranxOC

As for WD40 are you people friggin nuts? That crap is not made to be used with dirt and grime and will screw up your drivetrain quick, fast and in a hurry.

I'm not sure why some people feel the need to give advice when they literally have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
WD40 is NOT a lubricant. WD stands for Water Displacement. It's original purpose is to drive water out of places where it shouldn't be. WD40 can be used to keep something from rusting after you've gotten it wet (like after you wash it).

When it comes to lubes, there are different types.

Dry:
Goes on wet through a medium, but the wet dries leaving teflon behind. This stuff attracts less dirt. But it also is easier to wash away.

Wet:
Goes on wet, stays wet. Attracts dirt.

Wax:
Goes on wet and leaves a wax residue. It is water resistant and does not readily attract dirt. The downside is it doesn't work so well in the cold.

Extreme Purple:
This stuff is used in drilling rigs. It goes on SUPER wet and smells a bit like wine. It's resilient to wet and doesn't attract dirt. It bonds to the metal and is hard to displace. The downside is you can't just add it. You need to get rid of any other lubricant before you apply it, otherwise it will simply roll off.

The MOST important thing is to clean the chain regularly and make sure you lube it on THE ROLLERS.

DO NOT use spray lubes for chain. The get lube in places it's not supposed to be (like disc rotors and rims).
Old 04-20-05, 04:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Must you troll? You're supposedly a lot more intelligent than this (or so I'm told) why not act like it?

Back to the topic. Prolink Gold
Can you go away? Seriously. You're like an ear infection.

My post seems pretty troll to me seeing as how my post was in the form of a question. Explain to me how my post is a trolling post. Please. Do it.

Or better yet, put me on your ignore list if you find my posts to be "trolling." In general, your posts about me are unwanted. Grow up.
Old 04-20-05, 04:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CranxOC

I was not giving advice. My post was formed into a question. I was asking both for him and for me (more for me) as I was cleaning the garage and saw a can of WD-40.

There's no need to generalize your posts so as to seem less offensive. I was the only one in the thread who mentioned using WD-40.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.