Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Borrowing or renting a tandem in Bellingham, WA

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 05-07-15, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Hello!

Wife and I want to do the tandem rally up in Bellingham, WA this July. Unfortunately our tandem doesn't have couplers so we can't take it with us on the plane.

Is anyone aware of a place that might rent a nicer tandem (with gears, maybe drop bars, etc) to us up there? Or maybe a couple who'd let us borrow one with a suitable security deposit, etc? We tried contacting the tandem club up there, but no luck quite yet.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-15, 04:09 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
You do NOT need couples to have your tandem fly with you on a plane . . .
Put it in a tandem size box (or 2 single bike boxes spliced together) and pay the fee.
Been there, done that.
Old 05-07-15, 04:31 PM
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
tegnamo,

Unless your only choice is to fly on a small regional prop plane, most every other jet will accommodate an uncoupled tandem.

For example, here is the United Airlines policy: Traveling with Sports Equipment | United Airlines

As I recall, UAL's bike box limits are the size of the smallest BikePro tandem case, or in the order of 72" x 34" x 10". UAL also limits bike box weight to under 100lbs. Other carriers will have their own limits and fee schedules. Zona's point... anything from a cardboard box and up (in cost) should do fine.
Old 05-07-15, 11:36 PM

That's great to hear. In the future we might do that. Unfortunately the other caveat is that we are flying to the east coast after Bellingham. And from the east coast we fly straight home to California.

We only need the tandem in Bellingham ultimately. As such, just being able to temporarily have access to one would seemingly be ideal unless there's something we haven't considered yet. I mean, we could technically ship it back to California after the rally, before we go to the east coast, but that might be pricey.
Old 05-08-15, 09:08 AM
rlp

Bikes: Franco Kanan, Santana Arriva and Beyond Tandems

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The NWTR web site list Tandem Diversity as a source for rentals. The other option could be to fly your bike up and then ship it home to your local LBS and they would more than likely store it until you get home from the east coast. There are shipping vendors listed on the NWTR web site. You can also find some good general information about flying with tandems on the Santana web site.

BTW, We'll see you up there!
Old 05-08-15, 07:30 PM

I spoke with Mark at Tandem Diversity today, actually. Nice guy and tried very hard to see if his remaining bikes might fit us, but no dice
Old 05-09-15, 04:53 PM
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the pricing at Bikeflights.com. We are planning to ship our coupled tandem from NC to the rally instead of taking on the flight. It's a little more than the bag check fees and a lot less hassle.
Old 05-09-15, 10:09 PM

Wow. Surprised to see it's only $68 each way. Definitely on par with renting for a few days. So...it's not UPS or FedEx, but rather some sort of courier or whatever? Does the package get handled a lot? I'd like to pack it myself if possible...
Old 05-10-15, 12:23 PM
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used Bikeflights.com twice and both times it was Fedex ground. I packed it myself and took it to local Fedex store.
Old 05-11-15, 01:01 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Another option is Spinlister.com. It's kind of like airbnb if you are familiar with it. If you are flying into Seattle there are a couple of tandems listed there that you can rent. I haven't used the site and we're not renting our bikes but figured someone maybe interested in trying it out.
Old 05-15-15, 06:28 PM

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size do you need? We have a spare tandem we're not using.
Old 05-25-15, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by swc7916
What size do you need? We have a spare tandem we're not using.
Thank you for offering. We basically need a small or medium, depending on actual manufacturer sizing. I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'. Ideally <30" standover for the captain (me). Reach is usually my biggest issue, since I think I have short arms/torso/etc. What make, model and size is your spare tandem?
Old 05-25-15, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tegnamo
Thank you for offering. We basically need a small or medium, depending on actual manufacturer sizing. I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'. Ideally <30" standover for the captain (me). Reach is usually my biggest issue, since I think I have short arms/torso/etc. What make, model and size is your spare tandem?
It's a Rodriguez small frame with 26" wheels, with 170mm cranks in front and 165mm cranks in back (my wife has short legs). I'm sure that it would fit great; you'd have to figure out if the reach works for yourself. We're about 65 miles south of Bellingham and we're not going to the rally (even if we were, we don't have the means to carry two tandems) - how would you plan to transport it?
Old 05-25-15, 09:54 PM

Ah, the distance thing is an issue. We weren't intending to rent a car at all, and even if we did it would have to be a minivan or something to fit your tandem. We do appreciate the offer nonetheless!
Old 05-26-15, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!

Wife and I want to do the tandem rally up in Bellingham, WA this July. Unfortunately our tandem doesn't have couplers so we can't take it with us on the plane.

Is anyone aware of a place that might rent a nicer tandem (with gears, maybe drop bars, etc) to us up there? Or maybe a couple who'd let us borrow one with a suitable security deposit, etc? We tried contacting the tandem club up there, but no luck quite yet.

Thanks!
Tegnamo,

Where are you located?
Maybe your bike could hitch a ride...
Old 05-27-15, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by vrooom3440
Tegnamo,

Where are you located?
Maybe your bike could hitch a ride...
We're pretty far away, down in San Diego, California! Flying up to Seattle and then hopping a small plane over to Bellingham it looks like. So even if we got the tandem on the big plane, I fear the small plane wouldn't take it...
Old 05-27-15, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're pretty far away, down in San Diego, California! Flying up to Seattle and then hopping a small plane over to Bellingham it looks like. So even if we got the tandem on the big plane, I fear the small plane wouldn't take it...
San Diego... well you managed to max out the south scale for California

Here is what I was thinking: I am in the Sacramento area and am thinking of driving up and making a bit bigger vacation of it. And once driving... well the truck really does not care how many bikes are on it.

Dunno if there is anybody else down your way crazy enough to drive who might haul an extra bike or not?

<edit:>
Shoot once you fly to Seattle you are only a short drive away... if it was merely the small plane factor I would just grab a car and drive the rest of the way. I prefer to be on my own gear that much But you had said you were heading a different direction after instead of back home so...

Last edited by vrooom3440; 05-27-15 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added info...
Old 05-29-15, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by vrooom3440
<edit:>
Shoot once you fly to Seattle you are only a short drive away... if it was merely the small plane factor I would just grab a car and drive the rest of the way. I prefer to be on my own gear that much But you had said you were heading a different direction after instead of back home so...
Yeah, that's the big thing. I mean, we could fly up with it and ship it back, but I figure why not just have it shipped both ways in that case. Thanks for offering some help nonetheless.
Old 06-04-15, 12:41 PM

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
I think we may be able to help you. *We are attending the rally & we have a Bike Friday tandem that we could bring along. *We are 5'8" & 5'4" & the Bike Friday is very adjustable so if you do not mind riding a 20" wheel it should work for you. *At first it feels a little odd but after riding a few blocks it feels close to normal. *If you are interested, send us a private message. *We will be gone from June 8 to June 11. *
Old 06-08-15, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rlp
The NWTR web site list Tandem Diversity as a source for rentals. The other option could be to fly your bike up and then ship it home to your local LBS and they would more than likely store it until you get home from the east coast. There are shipping vendors listed on the NWTR web site. You can also find some good general information about flying with tandems on the Santana web site.

BTW, We'll see you up there!
We'll be there, too.

Look for the Burley Duet with safety-yellow panniers.

Bob
Old 06-12-15, 10:39 AM

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Sorry Tegnamo, I do not have enough posts to send you a private message. *I'm afraid that your plans & ours are in conflict. *We will not be able to provide you with our Bike Friday tandem.
Old 06-12-15, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by MeadMan2
Sorry Tegnamo, I do not have enough posts to send you a private message. *I'm afraid that your plans & ours are in conflict. *We will not be able to provide you with our Bike Friday tandem.
Hey, no worries! I really appreciate the offer!
Old 06-24-15, 05:50 PM

We wound up shipping our tandem via bikeflights.com. About $70 each way, which included $1200 of insurance (our tandem didn't cost much to begin with). Packed it all into a Co-Motion box. Tight fit, considering Co-Motion ships its wheels in a separate box. But our frame is a small, so I think that's part of the reason we got away with it. Fingers cross it arrives in good condition!