Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

brooklyn machine works gloves (a brief review)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

brooklyn machine works gloves (a brief review)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 12:09 AM
(Grouchy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
takeshi117 just PMed me with this:

Originally Posted by takeshi117
just wondering how these gloves worked out for you. i'm looking for a pair of gloves that will stick well to my unwrapped drops. i have a pair of specialized gloves right now but the sticky plastic part wore off and now i'm slipping all over the place. anyway, those bmws looked pretty slick- how're they working out?

thanks!
so here's what i wrote:

the gloves are great. the initial two week break-in period was kinda hellacious with the carbon knuckles, but since then, they've been great. i run soyo long keirin grips on the tops/curves of my bars, and i don't ride in the drops too much, but when i do, i feel pretty confident that the gloves will hang on. they've got a nice rubber-like patch right on the upper palm, and the kevlar padding on the lower palm has a little bit of grip to it as well. the yellow kevlar stitchin is kinda coming apart a bit, which i don't like too much, so i might give BMW a call to see what's up with that. that's really my only complaint about them. oh, and i kinda wish they had a second section of kevlar padding on the index and middle finger tips. but that's only because i rub that part of my finger on my tire after i roll through glass to dislodge some of it before it causes a puncture. that's my only complaint.

another plus is that when i put them on, i feel kinda like darth vader. i've even done the "force choke" gesture, and said "i find your lack of faith disturbing," to people. they just look at me funny. i'm going to repost this reply in the forums, other folks might find it helpful.

here are some pictures from their uk website:

Old 04-20-05, 01:43 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I need a pair of those...
Old 04-20-05, 05:28 AM
Lord Carlton of Worksop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hypothetically speaking of course, how would the kevlar reinforcing hold up to, say, being smashed into a rearview mirror at 30 km/h?

Just talking for the sake of talking, of course ....
Old 04-20-05, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a pair a couple weeks back as well, they are still breaking in, at least I hope so. They seem nice, maybe a little warmer than I would have liked. I've been torturing my girlfriend with the darth vader bit since I've had them.
Old 04-20-05, 07:02 AM
Senior Citizen Discount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tried them on. too damn hot if it's above 65. looks nice for cleanin house, though.
Old 04-20-05, 07:30 AM

Bikes: De Rosa Corum, custom Kalavinka, Bianchi RC Pista, Cannondale MT Track, Workcycles Gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The kevlar prevents roadrash. I have several pairs of motorcycle gloves that look like that. I wouldn't want to wear them on a bike, though.
Old 04-20-05, 08:33 AM
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luckycat
I got a pair a couple weeks back as well, they are still breaking in, at least I hope so. They seem nice, maybe a little warmer than I would have liked. I've been torturing my girlfriend with the darth vader bit since I've had them.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Old 04-20-05, 10:21 AM
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long term review-
I've been running with the BMW gloves for about a year and a half now, which is about 3X longer than gloves normaly last me, and they're still in fair shape, despite being machine washed every week or so. The little tabs on the first two fingers are starting to come off, and one of the knuckles is scuffed up and cracked after interacting with the side of a delivery truck. Overall, good stuff, and much better put together than the oakley or raceface gloves of the same type.

fatbat
Old 04-20-05, 02:11 PM
Brooklyn's Finest

Bikes: Brooklyn Machine Works Killer B Race Link,Evil Imperial, Brooklyn Machine Works Park Bike, Santa Cruz Heckler, IRO MarkV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been using a pair of these for almost a year now mostly for downhill mtbiking. i've also use them on my fixed gear this winter. thet are very thick . i think they feel better on smaller diameter grips/bars.lots of padding on the palm . definitly helps absorb shock. kevlar knuckles are cool but maybe a little overkill. the wrist strap is starting to rip but a few stitches stopped it from going further. i've crashed a few times on dirt and they are holding up pretty well.