Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

--Inexpensive track bikes????

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find my self an inexpensive track bike? I have been looking around and everything seems to be atleast $200 off my budget. If you know of any please fire me a message.

Thanks,
-J-
Old 04-21-05, 07:25 AM

Bikes: '05 Lemond Fillmore, '05 Surly 1x1, '04 Fuji Track Pro, '02 Specialized Stumpjumper, '92 GT Tequesta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what's your budget? If it's $200 and you're $200 over that might be a tough call
Old 04-21-05, 07:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, No question there. Looking around $400. I am thinking of getting a Mark v for $550 but was hoping to find somthign a litttle less expensive, so it doesnt break the bank.
Old 04-21-05, 07:33 AM

Bikes: '05 Lemond Fillmore, '05 Surly 1x1, '04 Fuji Track Pro, '02 Specialized Stumpjumper, '92 GT Tequesta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably too small (50cm) but here's a Mark V for $400.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Several other Pistas on ebay too.
Old 04-21-05, 07:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a seller that has "Mercier Kilo TT" track bikes from time to time on eBay (can't remember who). From what I understand, they are rebadged KHS Flite 100s. They're $347 with $40 shipping. I think I may get one next time they show up. I bet someone on here knows who was selling them....(search button)
Old 04-21-05, 07:54 AM
Crapzeit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many threads on this already so search search search...

Briefly, if you are looking for a complete bike for under $400, search ebay for a Mercier Kilo TT or Windsor "The Hour" bike - rebadged KHS and Fuji bikes, respectively. Both go for about $350 complete with not so hot components on decent frames.

Used Bianchi Pistas seem to sell in your price range on eBay fairly regularly.

m.
Old 04-21-05, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Kilo TT from sprtymama on Ebay. They go for $347 + $40 shipping. Components are fairly cheap but the frame seems nice. I don't have much to compare it to as my previous bike was a really cheap hybrid but the bike seems like a good value. It is basically the same as the KHS 100. The seller even refered me to the KHS website when I had questions on the geometry.
Old 04-21-05, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
r u riding on the track?

if not, nothing's cheaper than a conversion
Old 04-21-05, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Na, no track.. Just street. NYC. I was at first thinking of just converting, but after speeking with a few friends who ride track bikes, they pretty much told me not to, if your gonna ride a fix it may as well be a track frame.

Am I better off just spending the extra $150-$200 on a new mark v or pista, rather then spending the $300 on a bike with poor components?
Old 04-21-05, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd opt for the better components.

Speaking of which converting bikes isn't necessarily any cheaper depending on where you draw the line on how much you're going to change and/or fix.
Old 04-21-05, 10:11 AM
say, by the way...

Bikes: 2 wheels...

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if you live in NYC contact tony at IRO. he let me pick up my bike in person at his shop in staten island, he'll probably let you do the same.

i'm very satisfied with my mark v pro and also extremely satisfied with tony's service.
Old 04-21-05, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Univega - fixed conversion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kiecker
I'd opt for the better components.

Speaking of which converting bikes isn't necessarily any cheaper depending on where you draw the line on how much you're going to change and/or fix.

Converting is not always cheaper but you might be able to space out the upgrades over many paychecks ... my current ride has been in process for almot two years ... started out as a vintage schwinn 10 speed and is now a univega fixie ... i've spent around $600 in that time but never more than $150 at once (rear wheel).
Old 04-21-05, 10:30 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
let me suggest buying all of your parts separately--it gives the illusion that you've spent a lot less money. mix up your payment methods so you don't see them all on your bank statement--cash, checks, credit cards, debit cards, paypal buyer credit, etc. If you're resourceful you can easily lose track of how much you've spent and any attempt at an estimate will either result in number far smaller than what you've spent or complete mental paralysis.
Old 04-21-05, 10:44 AM
F*** Corporate Beer

Bikes: On-OneIROOlympiaYetiLeMondZanella

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlupfer
let me suggest buying all of your parts separately--it gives the illusion that you've spent a lot less money.
LOL...that's what I did. Too bad my wife could figure that illusion out (she does the checkbook!).
Old 04-21-05, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"but after speeking with a few friends who ride track bikes, they pretty much told me not to, if your gonna ride a fix it may as well be a track frame"

so fixed road bikes have been around as long as track bikes (actually, longer); track bikes are more about cred than function, IMO.

"Am I better off just spending the extra $150-$200 on a new mark v or pista, rather then spending the $300 on a bike with poor components? "

I'm of the 'buy the best you can afford mentality. But I'm also of the 'dont buy things you dont NEED mentality. If you can afford to invest in superior compenents; do it. Then again, you should weigh whether you really need.

"Speaking of which converting bikes isn't necessarily any cheaper depending on where you draw the line on how much you're going to change and/or fix.

No doubt there; I was really refering to all things being equal.

All I was saying was, If you already have a road bike, you can convert anywhere from $15 (cog on freewheel) to $200 (for a nice rear hub/wheel). Cheaper than a cheap track bike.

Of course, if you dont already have a road bike, add $25 to above cost for the yardsale/goodwill starter kit.
Old 04-21-05, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok--this is my same dilema. It seems like even if a get a old frame for next to nothing, I still have to spend about 3-400 to get a rear wheel/hub, new chain, FG sprockets, chain tensioner, etc--at which point i might as well dop the 500 for a new pista
Old 04-21-05, 11:33 AM
Drunken Harmonica Band

Bikes: Windsor, Schwinn Le Tour, Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're interested in the kilo TT or the Windsor hour, I definitely recommend just stepping it up to a KHS or pista or something. I bought the windsor off ebay a while back, and sure, the frame is nice, but the components suck hard, and I've put about as much money into parts as I paid for the bike. I had to overhaul the hubs, and now I think I need a new bottom bracket. You're going to end up swapping the parts out anyways, if you have any taste in quality, ie, the tires they come with are like a plastic compound that make this shrieking noise when you skid or skip. So, to recap, either buy the Windsor or Mercier with extra pocket cash and time, or step it up.
Old 04-21-05, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skanking biker
Ok--this is my same dilema. It seems like even if a get a old frame for next to nothing, I still have to spend about 3-400 to get a rear wheel/hub, new chain, FG sprockets, chain tensioner, etc--at which point i might as well dop the 500 for a new pista
I don't know where that number came from, considering that an IRO rear wheel (which is fantastic BTW) is $100, a cog and lockring are $30 and a chain can be gotten for $10, that's $140. You don't need a tensioner or anything more than that. This can be made even cheaper by just buying a hub and lacing it up to your existing rim. And if you want to play around with your life like many fixed gear riders, you could even get away with just buying yourself a cog for $25, some loc-tite and a BB lockring for $5 or so, and that's a $30 conversion.
Old 04-21-05, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeh, but then i'd have to redish the wheel--which i dont know how to do

the numbers were approx and came from a LBS website that custom builds FG/ss
Old 04-21-05, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
redishing the wheel should still run you less than $150
Old 04-21-05, 11:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but i suppose i could just go the BB route and have the LBS redish the wheel for me?

Sheldon's site said you should buy new sprockets meant for FG/ss and that using existing sprockets from the old cassette is dangerous ...true**********
Old 04-21-05, 11:44 AM
Cubicle warfare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by votedean
If you're interested in the kilo TT or the Windsor hour, I definitely recommend just stepping it up to a KHS or pista or something. I bought the windsor off ebay a while back, and sure, the frame is nice, but the components suck hard, and I've put about as much money into parts as I paid for the bike. I had to overhaul the hubs, and now I think I need a new bottom bracket. You're going to end up swapping the parts out anyways, if you have any taste in quality, ie, the tires they come with are like a plastic compound that make this shrieking noise when you skid or skip. So, to recap, either buy the Windsor or Mercier with extra pocket cash and time, or step it up.
I couldn't agree more. I too bought a Windsor off eBay, frame is OK but components are about as bad as they come, should have just gone with the KHS. I'm pretty sure the stock BB is totally shot - sounds like it was never lubed - and they had a 1/8 chain on a 3/32 chainring / cog. WTF?!?!?! Oh and LOVE the skidding sound, sounds like a frikkin Nazgul or ripping satin or something. Not dignified.

go wit the KHS or Pista or at least quality components you will spend just as much.
Old 04-21-05, 11:45 AM
Fly

Bikes: 1980 Trek 660 fixed-conversion, IRO Mark V, Trek 6700 MTB, Univega Converted-Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiecker
Probably too small (50cm) but here's a Mark V for $400.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Several other Pistas on ebay too.

Sorry thats off the market.....

Check out my new food blog!!
Old 04-21-05, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most cogs and sprockets you'll find are ramped for shifting. You do NOT want your chain to come off while riding fixed. Ramped cogs and rings can aid in your chain coming off.
Old 04-21-05, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sillygirl
Sorry thats off the market.....
Silly, did you just buy the bike? It was available this morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.