Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from New Jersey

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 07:11 PM
Donating member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

It's been about thirty years since I've been on a bike. (most of you weren't even born then) The last bike I owned came from Sears, I think the model was called the "Spyder". I don't remember how many speeds it had but the shifter was mounted on the top tube resembling the shifter in a car. And it had what was called a banana seat. If I needed it to be a mountain bike one moment and then a road bike the next it had no problem being what ever I needed it to be. A two foot drop on asphalt was an everyday occurrence for this bike.

Well, here I am a lot older and a heck of a lot heavier. I have this strong feeling that I need to start riding again. I didn't realize just how much I missed it until I started to read the posts in this forum. I've decided I want a mountain bike with no suspension. I read some place that us fat people blow out suspensions faster than they can be replaced. I want a bike to help with the weight loss and to have fun with. If any of you can give a few suggestion as to what bike you feel would be a good choice I'll add them to the few I'm considering. I don't want to spend too much just in case this is a passing fade on my part, hoping to relive some memories. If after a while I see that I'm going to keep this up I have no problem buying a better bike and donating my entry level bike to charity.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bob (my friends call me Scorpion because my birthday is in October)
Old 06-12-02, 04:23 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lost 35 pounds in the last 4 months by riding. Bicycling is the only exercise that you can do solo that's not boring. Take it easy at first, but you're gonna be shocked at how fast your riding will improve.

When I started, I did a 10 mile ride that totally killed me, but within a month I was doing 25-30 mile rides with ease.

I bought last years specialized A-1 aluminum road bike for about $600. Plenty good enough for me. Has Shimano 105 and I bought a fancy specialized Pro computer for $100.

I also went on the "Jenny Craig" diet thing where you eat their bad food. But by riding 4 or 5 times a week, your appetite will go away.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

...Richard