Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

orbea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 09:10 PM
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
orbea?

hey all
i just picked up an old yellow orbea bike that i'm gonna fix up a bit. its road geometry, and i'll put up some pics soon... it had this sweet ass old derailor that i cut and i'm gonna fixie it, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me about this brand/company -- good stuff? worth anything? i'm contemplating selling it once its done to buy me a new Brooks saddle... one cool thing: when i stripped the tire and tube the rims had these strange crocheted lining around the whole thing and the liner for where the air-valve entered was a little sewn leater pad! how strange is that?
Old 04-21-05, 10:19 PM
occam's razor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

uh. the lining around your wheel was the rimtape right? most wheels will have rimtape between the tube and the rims...

i dunno much about "older" orbeas, but judging from the new stuff at my local LBS, orbea makes and incredible ride.

it would be nice to see a pic of this old bike or maybe a model number/specs, etc.

i hate to say it... but if this ride is in good condition you should leave it w/ its gears and deraillers. i like fixies and all... but i hate to see an incredible road bike go to waste. just my two cents.

https://www.orbea-usa.com/
Old 04-21-05, 11:23 PM

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Rodriguez (custom SS)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikiola
hey all
i just picked up an old yellow orbea bike that i'm gonna fix up a bit. its road geometry, and i'll put up some pics soon... it had this sweet ass old derailor that i cut and i'm gonna fixie it, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me about this brand/company -- good stuff? worth anything? i'm contemplating selling it once its done to buy me a new Brooks saddle... one cool thing: when i stripped the tire and tube the rims had these strange crocheted lining around the whole thing and the liner for where the air-valve entered was a little sewn leater pad! how strange is that?
Orbea is a pretty cool company. Both their USA and Spanish site give a little history but neither mention one of their coolest features. Orbea is a cooperative where everyone who works there owns a piece of the company. The cooperative is under the 'umbrella' of one of the largest co-ops in the world (appliance manufacturer). Both are located in the Basque region of Spain. The 'company' has built schools/hospitals/clinics/day care for its employees, and (I assume) people of the region. Maybe someone from that area could clue us in a little more about this interesting company.

Take care...

Jim
Old 04-21-05, 11:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having formerly spent a lot of time on an orbea with my university cycling team I can say they make a hell of a bike. Their frames are wonderful and their paintjobs are quite possibly the most exquisite on the market. They have recently gotten tons of exposure due to supplying the Euskatel-Euskadi Pro team with bikes, and are much like the TREK of spain. I cannot stress how wonderfully made and engineered these frames are. If you by chance have one in good shape I would leave it as a road bike, possibly even upgrading the drivetrain to make it a more viable modern bike. any frame that leaves that factory is on the same level as any Pinarello/colnago/cervelo.
Old 04-22-05, 01:15 AM

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikiola
hey all

So you were the one who swooped in on that today, huh? I guess that I should thank you for saving me from myself, but that looked like a nice little bike. Look forward to the pics.
Old 04-22-05, 10:06 AM
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
peripatetic -- i'll post some pics ... yeah, as soon as that craiggies post came up i went to greenpoint ASAP. ;-) i've been looking for a beater for Mass but this seems like it'll be a better than my other, non-beater bike!
Old 04-22-05, 10:17 AM
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ps it neededa *ton* of work... i'll be working on it for at least a few weeks now, the wheels need to be almost completely re-spoked and trued, the crank arm is bent and the bottom bracket probs need to be repacked. fun job, but a lot of work. but once its done this baby will be beautiful.