Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Best way to tonedown

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Best way to tonedown

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 08:13 PM
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best way to tonedown

A little background:
I am 5'8" 160 lbs. I am by no means chunky, hell I'm anything but. I ran track and cross country for 3 years (7-9grade) but I had to quick after I damaged my knee (tendinitious(sp)) and since then I have put on a couple of pounds (Ok I'll be honset since freshmen year I have packed on roughly 30 pounds (I'm at the end of my junior year) I have grown at least an inch and a half since then as well. But I am not in the shape that I used to be. I know that with out the running I used to do I can't expect the same results, but is there a way just cycling can help me shed the weight? I can run still, it just hurts after a while. Any ideas? I'm up for anything.

Basiclly I understand that it won't be an over night thing, but I want to drop like 5-10 lbs at least(prefer 15-20..but I have to consult my doc before I drop that much) and I want to do it with cycling/diet/ and light running. I have a fairly tone body, again I say, not the body I used to have (well defined rock hard abs and pex but still pretty cut for a 16 yr old that isn't a 'jock' and is in band)

Elvish
Old 04-27-05, 09:32 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
A little background:
I am 5'8" 160 lbs. I am by no means chunky, hell I'm anything but. I ran track and cross country for 3 years (7-9grade) but I had to quick after I damaged my knee (tendinitious(sp)) and since then I have put on a couple of pounds (Ok I'll be honset since freshmen year I have packed on roughly 30 pounds (I'm at the end of my junior year) I have grown at least an inch and a half since then as well. But I am not in the shape that I used to be. I know that with out the running I used to do I can't expect the same results, but is there a way just cycling can help me shed the weight? I can run still, it just hurts after a while. Any ideas? I'm up for anything.

Basiclly I understand that it won't be an over night thing, but I want to drop like 5-10 lbs at least(prefer 15-20..but I have to consult my doc before I drop that much) and I want to do it with cycling/diet/ and light running. I have a fairly tone body, again I say, not the body I used to have (well defined rock hard abs and pex but still pretty cut for a 16 yr old that isn't a 'jock' and is in band)

Elvish
Cycling is pretty efficient at burning calories - around 40 calories per mile, or 400-800 calories per hour depending on intensity and terrain.

Plenty of former runners are cyclists - it's a lot easier on your joints, and you get to cover more ground and generate your own cooling breeze. Plus, there's the speed, and the cool clothes...
Old 04-27-05, 10:26 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say the usual, eat a bit less(or just eat healthier) and exercise more. Just don't starve yourself.

controlled eating = good
starving = bad

IMO you can be in the same shape you were before by cycling. You just have to spend more time cycling than you would running, but I'm certain you can be in as good shape as you were in before. Just depends on how hard you want to work at it.
Old 04-28-05, 05:15 AM
Focus on the future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are not at an age to think about your weight in numbers. Any numbers. As you grow, you'll put on some fat, then you'll use it to develop. You might get taller, you might develop muscle: you do NOT yet know what kind of adult you will be, so doing things by the numbers would take psychic ability you do NOT have!

What you do want to aim for is to be a fit and healthy young person, to lay the foundation for a lifetime of health. So. Try to eat healthy. Get your fruits and veggies, avoid as much "junk food" and fast food as you can. Choose reasonable portions, then go back for seconds if you're honestly still hungry. Go easy on the sweets.

And exercise *regularly*. Start small, maybe 30 minutes, but do it every day (take one day off per week if you want). A short bike ride, an easy jog, even a brisk walk: as long as it makes your heart pump a little and a bit of sweat break out, it counts! Work your way up from there. I think cycling is one of the best ways to get fit and burn fat. Just make sure that you're *working*: your legs should be spinning pretty quickly, about 90 rpm or one and a half full turns per second, so that your heart has to move blood and your knees don't blow out pushing against a heavy load!

You'll be strong, and fit, AND your body will develop with less excess fat than most of your peers! Can't beat that!
Old 05-03-05, 06:24 AM
Mmmm...Hardtails

Bikes: '01 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey ok im a junior also and decently fit. In the past 3 months ive lost 20lbs. Like the other guys said try to not eat sweets and also if you cut back on white flower it really helps. Eat like 4 fruits a day and as many vegitables as you feel like. Also 3 months ago i started biking. The first time was ruff, i made it to the 5k mark and my legs were very angry at me. I now do that same trail and im getting warmed up at the 5k mark. If you just watch what you eat a little and ride 3 to 5 times a week you will start to see a diffrence. Also i started doing pushups pullups and situps a bunch. If you start doing them alllllll the time. Like constantly you will start to see results fast.
Old 05-03-05, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
First, see your pediatrician to get a physical so you can make sure you're ok.

Once you know you've got clearance, it may be a good idea to see a coach that deals with training kids. A male at 16 is still growing, which means that if you're exercising incorrectly, then you could do some real harm to your bones. Nutrition is also important for you too, so consider seeing a dietitian and/or nutritionist.

It's difficult to say what you should or shouldn't be doing, given your age and not knowing what your growth patterns are. But do see a doctor first, and find out what your limitations will be.

Koffee