Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maruishi? I don't know them.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-28-05, 11:08 PM

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Ocelot, 1986 Mariushi CT-12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A buddy has been wanting to get into shape and calls the closest thing he has to a bike expert to find out just what a Maruishi bike is. He tells me he's found one used, and doesn't know if he should get it. I've only been as serious about cycling as I am for a few years, and I don't recognize the make. I googled for info, but didn't really find anything fruitful. I don't know what to tell him.

Allegedly this is a Maruishi mountain bike with nine speeds (?) selling for under $100. Can anyone help? What the heck could it be, and would it be better than the Toys-Ya-Us clearance cruiser he's been threatening to buy. (I think I know the answer to that last one already.)

This might be a "General Cycling Discussion" post, but you guys seem to know your stuff.
Old 04-29-05, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Nishiki International, Bianchi Pista, Kona Coiler, Raleigh '03 Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a coincidence - I saw my first one on campus yesterday and had never heard of them either. My "google" search indicated they may have made the Huffy line. While not a top-end bike it didn't appear too cheaply made so should serve as reliable transport.
Old 04-29-05, 10:30 AM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rokrover
What a coincidence - I saw my first one on campus yesterday and had never heard of them either. My "google" search indicated they may have made the Huffy line. While not a top-end bike it didn't appear too cheaply made so should serve as reliable transport.

I've seen two - One, a MTB that seemed well made with decent components (but heavy), and the other a road bike that was made out of high tensile steel and was rigged like Huffy (cable housings tie-wrapped to the top tube, etc).

John D.
Old 04-29-05, 01:49 PM
Minneapolis

Bikes: 1998 Stumpjumper Pro, SE Draft, 1984 Bianchi ATB, 1980? Raleigh Comp GS, Civia Loring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw one at a thrift with decent Shimano gear, I expect they made a range of stuff. It is what it is, gotta see it.
Old 04-29-05, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The ones I have seen have nice frames that seem similar in quality to many '85 to '95 good Asian-made frames such as those from Panasonic and Centurion. I've seen some in my neighborhood in excellent condition, but before buying an older bike, a careful inspection is important.
Old 04-29-05, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I've seen Maruishi bicycles as far back as the late 1970's that varied from entry level to mid range. Before mountain bikes hit the market, they were marketed under the Roadace name. These vintage models were manufactured in Japan, but I believe were designed in the USA. I was always curious why a company with a Japanese name used as kangaroo as their symbol? Alanbikehouston's workmanship comments reflect my own opinion, for the older models.

I'm not familiar with the newer models, which is what a 9 speed ATB would be. It wouldn't suprise me if Huffy or some other company had bought the name. That seems to be the trend since the 1990s. However, it is pretty amazing what they can produce these days, at a low price level. Back in the 1970s bicycle boom, $100 bought you a an all steel, 30+ lb, friction shifting, 10 speed. To-day, it gets you a bicycle with aluminum rims and some aluminum components, is sub 30 lb, has indexed shifting, at least 18 speeds and if it's an ATB maybe even front suspension (in which case the weight is probably back on par with the 1970s model). When you compare it relative to the wages from then and now, to-day's entry level bicycles are a great value.
Old 04-30-05, 05:06 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
check out https://www.johnpiazza.net/maruishi.htm. Nice Herse wannabe's. I read that maruishi went bankrupt in March and that the CEO is being indicted for fraud and embezzlement. Nice to know that the US doesn't have a corner on that.