Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't use smallest cog due to clearance, solutions?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 01:55 AM
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I have an older mixte frame that had a 126mm rear spacing that was spaced out to 130mm to take a modern road hub. However, at the moment, the smallest cog can't be used due to frame clearance issues. The shifter and RD has been locked out so that it is a 1 x 8 speed at the moment.

What are my solutions? I was thinking of moving a spacer from the non drive side to the drive side and dishing the wheel?

Right now the bike is set up with a 9 speed tiagra hub that is matched up to a 9 speed deore trigger shifter.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rear casette spacing.jpg (96.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-09-15, 04:16 AM
Zef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The questions that pops in my head are: was the frame cold-set to re-space it to 130mm? and were the dropouts realigned properly after the rear triangle was spread?

Have the dropout alignment checked, if they are aligned then I recommend the following:

Instead of moving a spacer I recommend starting with replacing the spacer you would mover from the NDS with two that are half as thick and put one on the NDS and the other on the DS. Still would need to re-dish the wheel but not as much.

-j
Old 11-09-15, 08:31 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
find more thin spacers to = the ttl thickness of one on the left*, so you move just enough you get needed clearance,

and no more.. then re check dish and re center it.

* not necessarily half, though that is one possibility... Measure How much you need to add.
Old 11-09-15, 11:00 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 877 Posts
Often, you'll see this problem if using a smaller "smallest cog" than "stock".

If you want to keep the same cog, you'll have to add a mm or 3 of spacing to the DS and remove a like amount from the NDS.
You really don't need to re-dish for such a small amount and it may not be worth the effort. Dishing in the opposite direction is much easier.
Old 11-09-15, 11:02 AM
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
find more thin spacers to = the ttl thickness of one on the left*, so you move just enough you get needed clearance,

and no more.. then re check dish and re center it.

* not necessarily half, though that is one possibility... Measure How much you need to add.
Niagara Cycle and others stock spacers in varying thicknesses from 0.25mm up. You are looking for precision stainless steel shim washers with a 10mm inner diameter. You can also go to an industrial supply house like McMaster.
Old 11-09-15, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
When the usual smallest cog went from 13 or 14 to 12, 11, and even 10, this became a much more common problem. I don't have the issue on any of my bikes, but then I also never use the smallest cog except when placing the chain there to ease wheel removal/re-insertion during maintenance. Personally, I'd do what you've done and leave it as a de facto 8spd, but if you need that smallest cog, moving spacers and re-dishing is the solution.
Old 11-09-15, 11:40 AM
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

The frame was cold set professionally at a bike shop and the drop out were checked for alignment.

Cassette was a standard 12-27, did not change it for anything.

Thanks all for the solutions. Will look for the 10 mm washers, did not even think about using washers of varying thickness.
Old 11-09-15, 01:58 PM

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nfmisso
Niagara Cycle and others stock spacers in varying thicknesses from 0.25mm up. You are looking for precision stainless steel shim washers with a 10mm inner diameter. You can also go to an industrial supply house like McMaster.
I picked up a 1 mm thick washer with a 10mm inner diameter at Home Depot, for something like 29 cents, to accomplish this. Does the job.
Old 11-09-15, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
I picked up a 1 mm thick washer with a 10mm inner diameter at Home Depot, for something like 29 cents, to accomplish this. Does the job.
Nice work; you are now a bicycle mechanic.
Old 11-09-15, 02:31 PM

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1983
Nice work; you are now a bicycle mechanic.
Actually, I've been a bicycle mechanic for over 40 years with about a 25 year long hiatus between 1990 and last year (during which time I got caught up in the rat race and gained 140 pounds, 120 of which have been gotten rid of during the past couple of years).
Old 11-09-15, 02:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I've been a bicycle mechanic for over 40 years with about a 25 year long hiatus between 1990 and last year (during which time I got caught up in the rat race and gained 140 pounds, 120 of which have been gotten rid of during the past couple of years).
Uh, ok. Wait, 40 years of experience and you've never come across fitting a 9/10/11 cassette in 126mm dropouts?

Last edited by 1983; 11-09-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Uh, ok. Wait, 40 years of experience and you've never come across fitting a 9/10/11 cassette in 126mm dropouts?
That's what you got from his post? Not impressive.

And to address your question, your ignorance is forgivable, since your knowledge of bikes clearly stops somewhere shy of 1990, when Dman stopped working as a mechanic. Nine speed was just a twinkle in an engineer's eye at that point, to say nothing of 10 and 11 speed.
Old 11-09-15, 03:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
That's what you got from his post? Not impressive.

And to address your question, your ignorance is forgivable, since your knowledge of bikes clearly stops somewhere shy of 1990, when Dman stopped working as a mechanic. Nine speed was just a twinkle in an engineer's eye at that point, to say nothing of 10 and 11 speed.
What was supposed to be impressive? You troll to be impressed? Huh?

He is the one who claimed 40 years of experience, I am obviously calling 40 consecutive years into question. Is there one of those silly animated emoticons for flying an airplane over one's head?
Old 11-09-15, 04:00 PM
Made in Taiwan

Thanks for all the help!

Took apart the hub, moved the skewer over to the drive side and added a 2mm spacer. There is plenty of clearance now. Just need to dish the wheel, which should be easy, since I will only need to dish it by 1mm.
Old 11-09-15, 05:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who ever said that I lacked that knowledge? Surely not me.

What was supposed to be impressive? You troll to be impressed? Huh?

He is the one who claimed 40 years of experience, I am obviously calling 40 consecutive years into question. Is there one of those silly animated emoticons for flying an airplane over one's head?
You might want to check your arrogance at the gate - and also work on your reading comprehension - it could use some improvement. I never said that I had no experience fitting a 9/10/11 cassette into 126mm dropouts. You seem to have mistaken me for the OP of this thread. I was simply responding to it, by saying that washers which could be used as spacers for the OP's desired purpose could be gotten at any Home Depot for well under a dollar.

And I never said that I WORKED as a bike mechanic for 40 years. I worked as a mechanic part time for about 2 years, from 1977-1978. Subsequent to that, I did work on my own bikes, and on friends bikes, and never had anything whatsoever to do with bikes or bicycling from about 1990 up to the middle of last year, when I picked it back up as part of the process of regaining my physical condition from having become obese in 25 years of working behind a desk.

What I said was I've been a bicycle mechanic for about the past 40 years, with a 25 year hiatus from 1990 until last year.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 11-09-15 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who ever said that I lacked that knowledge? Surely not me.

You might want to check your arrogance at the gate - and also work on your reading comprehension - it could use some improvement. I never said that I had no experience fitting a 9/10/11 cassette into 126mm dropouts. You seem to have mistaken me for the OP of this thread. I was simply responding to it, by saying that washers which could be used as spacers for the OP's desired purpose could be gotten at any Home Depot for well under a dollar.

And I never said that I WORKED as a bike mechanic for 40 years. I worked as a mechanic part time for about 2 years, from 1977-1978. Subsequent to that, I did work on my own bikes, and on friends bikes, and never had anything whatsoever to do with bikes or bicycling from about 1990 up to the middle of last year, when I picked it back up as part of the process of regaining my physical condition from having become obese in 25 years of working behind a desk.

What I said was I've been a bicycle mechanic for about the past 40 years, with a 25 year hiatus from 1990 until last year.
Um, no. I posted a silly comment about being a bike mechanic and you fired back with a poorly written, ambiguous claim. You would do well to chickity check yoself before you wrickity wreck yoself.
Old 11-10-15, 09:44 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Um, no. I posted a silly comment about being a bike mechanic and you fired back with a poorly written, ambiguous claim. You would do well to chickity check yoself before you wrickity wreck yoself.
As I said, you need to improve your reading comprehension - it's lacking. But I do agree, your comment was pretty silly - and it's pretty obvious you mistook me for the OP leading up to it.
Old 11-10-15, 10:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I said, you need to improve your reading comprehension - it's lacking. But I do agree, your comment was pretty silly - and it's pretty obvious you mistook me for the OP leading up to it.
Get back to me after you work on placement of subordinate clauses and sentence structure.

What I think you meant to say was "I was a bicycle mechanic from x to y, after which I took a 25 year hiatus."

You wrote an ambiguous phrase wherein the placement of the 25 year hiatus is suspect, because you did not specify the start of the 40 years.

Additionally, I find it hard to believe that out of x years of experience as any kind of mechanic, that you have never shimmed for clearance.

Basic grammar will take you far, my friend.

Last edited by 1983; 11-10-15 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-10-15, 12:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get back to me after you work on placement of subordinate clauses and sentence structure.

What I think you meant to say was "I was a bicycle mechanic from x to y, after which I took a 25 year hiatus."

You wrote an ambiguous phrase wherein the placement of the 25 year hiatus is suspect, because you did not specify the start of the 40 years.

Additionally, I find it hard to believe that out of x years of experience as any kind of mechanic, that you have never shimmed for clearance.

Basic grammar will take you far, my friend.
Again, where in what I posted did you ever come to the misguided conclusion that I have never shimmed a hub for clearance on a frame, but for your failure in reading comprehension? I've done it on numerous bikes, including one that I currently ride, and one that is a current project I'm building up from a dumpster-saved frame and spare parts. It's obvious you mistook my post for that of the OP. I was merely telling the OP that washers which would serve that purpose just fine could be gotten at any Home Depot for well under a dollar. The actual date of my becoming a mechanic and the timing of the 25 year hiatus was irrelevant, which is why it was not specified.

And the grammar that I have has taken me toward a successful career with a comfortable retirement upon cashing out in my mid-forties a decade ago. Hint, it wasn't from a career as a bike mechanic - that was a part time job for a local bike shop during high school, and a subsequent unpaid avocation whilst on my college cycling team.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 11-10-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 12:49 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by *Scuba
Thanks for all the help!

Took apart the hub, moved the skewer over to the drive side and added a 2mm spacer. There is plenty of clearance now. Just need to dish the wheel, which should be easy, since I will only need to dish it by 1mm.
I'm kinda late to this thread, but you've discovered one of those things that can be an issue with mixte frames -- that middle stay likes to interfere with the upper chain run. Even if the stays and dropouts are correctly aligned. What you did is what I ended up doing to two mixtes in my stable.

You may not even need to redish the wheel for such a small difference.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-10-15, 03:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, where in what I posted did you ever come to the misguided conclusion that I have never shimmed a hub for clearance on a frame, but for your failure in reading comprehension? I've done it on numerous bikes, including one that I currently ride, and one that is a current project I'm building up from a dumpster-saved frame and spare parts. It's obvious you mistook my post for that of the OP. I was merely telling the OP that washers which would serve that purpose just fine could be gotten at any Home Depot for well under a dollar. The actual date of my becoming a mechanic and the timing of the 25 year hiatus was irrelevant, which is why it was not specified.

And the grammar that I have has taken me toward a successful career with a comfortable retirement upon cashing out in my mid-forties a decade ago. Hint, it wasn't from a career as a bike mechanic - that was a part time job for a local bike shop during high school, and a subsequent unpaid avocation whilst on my college cycling team.
Your grammar built your retirement - good for you [sarcasm, lest you start in on that, too]. It doesn't show, and attacking my reading comprehension does not further your end therein. I made a comment, and you began a very confusing sub-topic about convoluted timelines and being overweight. I'm still not completely sure what you're on about, I'm just pointing out the glaring flaws in your writing and you keep repeating the same childish insult.

To answer your question, I never assumed anything, I asked you a question myself, trying to make sense of what you're talking about. It was a question as denoted by the syntax and punctuation - perhaps your reading comprehension could use a brush up as well. Maybe we can take a class together?

Last edited by 1983; 11-10-15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 05:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your grammar built your retirement - good for you [sarcasm, lest you start in on that, too]. It doesn't show, and attacking my reading comprehension does not further your end therein. I made a comment, and you began a very confusing sub-topic about convoluted timelines and being overweight. I'm still not completely sure what you're on about, I'm just pointing out the glaring flaws in your writing and you keep repeating the same childish insult.

To answer your question, I never assumed anything, I asked you a question myself, trying to make sense of what you're talking about. It was a question as denoted by the syntax and punctuation - perhaps your reading comprehension could use a brush up as well. Maybe we can take a class together?
Sorry, I won't be taking the remedial classes you require. It's very simple actually, albeit apparently beyond your limited grasp.

You made an erroneous statement, twice actually, that I had no experience in shimming a hub so as to make it fit into a frame, and hence, I could not have any experience as a bicycle mechanic. That error of yours could only have come from either an erroneous assumption on your part, or failed reading comprehension on your part, because nothing I posted should have led you to that assessment, unless you had confused me with the OP of this thread. That same incorrect premise of yours clearly led you to make an obnoxious and stupid put-down directed at me, which you have continued to attempt to rationalize as being due to my grammar. Sorry, but my grammar, even if imperfect, is not what has made you into the sort of disagreeable individual that you seem determined to demonstrate that you are in this thread.

Conveniently, this forum has an ignore feature.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 11-10-15 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I won't be taking the remedial classes you require. It's very simple actually, albeit apparently beyond your limited grasp.

You made an erroneous statement, twice actually, that I had no experience in shimming a hub so as to make it fit into a frame, and hence, I could not have any experience as a bicycle mechanic. That error of yours could only have come from either an erroneous assumption on your part, or failed reading comprehension on your part, because nothing I posted should have led you to that assessment, unless you had confused me with the OP of this thread. That same incorrect premise of yours clearly led you to make an obnoxious and stupid put-down directed at me, which you have continued to attempt to rationalize as being due to my grammar. Sorry, but my grammar, even if imperfect, is not what has made you into the sort of disagreeable individual that you seem determined to demonstrate that you are in this thread.

Conveniently, this forum has an ignore feature.
Incorrect - I asked a question. Syntax, context, punctuation.

you've never come across fitting a 9/10/11 cassette in 126mm dropouts?
Notice the bolded text: you've is a contraction of you have which is itself a literal transposition of have you. Common in late English syntax. Also notice the ? which definitively indicates a question.

The irony is that your accusation of my assuming is itself an assumption. I really don't think I could make that any clearer, you're on your own from here on out bud.

Last edited by 1983; 11-11-15 at 08:45 AM.