Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

applying pro-link

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

applying pro-link

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
applying pro-link

so two finals down one to go. So I got a little ghost shift so I'm planning on strippin' down my drivetrain and cleanin' 'er off and oilin' 'er up. yeah that's right all those frickin' apostraphes. So I've grossly wasted, atleast that's what it looks like, like half my bottle of prolink trying to splash the chain as it rolls by. It's cake applying tri-flow with that straw, but I can't find anything that can act as a straw for pro-link. You guys got some ideas? Thanks.
Old 05-02-05, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes a few more minutes, but when I lube my chain, I put one drop on at a time.

I back pedal a bit, then dab, dab, dab, dab, dab. Then back pedal a bit then repeat.

After I've applied lube all the way around, I backpedal for about a minute to make sure all the lube penetrates each link. Then I take a clean cloth an wipe off any extra, so it doesn't collect any dust.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-03-05, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
It takes a few more minutes, but when I lube my chain, I put one drop on at a time.

I back pedal a bit, then dab, dab, dab, dab, dab. Then back pedal a bit then repeat.

After I've applied lube all the way around, I backpedal for about a minute to make sure all the lube penetrates each link. Then I take a clean cloth an wipe off any extra, so it doesn't collect any dust.
That's exactly what I do except I've found with the design of the latest Prolink bottle its easier to do the following:
With the bike upright and at around the 11 o'clock position as the chain wraps around the rear cog, I apply the Prolink by bumping the bottle against each chain roller/rivet holding the bottle up from horizontal just enough so it drips out at a moderate rate. Because it flows pretty easily that delivers the equivalent of about one drop which flows quickly into the chain. Turning the crank backwards slowly I can do the chain pretty quickly by just timing the tapping against the chain. The rounded shape of the tip helps w/ this, you can essentially let it skip along tapping the roller/rivet portion of the chain as it goes by. A bottle lasts me about 4-5 months (2 bikes, 4-5 rides/wk).

Hope that made sense, probably made it more confusing than it is.

Dave
Old 05-03-05, 09:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the same thing that you are doing Dave, for cleaning the chain atleast, i still put a drop on every link when i actually lube it.
Pretty much if you tap the bottle nozzle while it's upside down fluid will come out.
So just let the nozzle tap the chain while the chain is moving, fluid will then evenly distribute onto the chain.
Old 05-03-05, 09:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thing is, it seems I've squeezed the bottle too far, or it just doesn't seem like it's coming out anymore so I turn it over then back down and it just splashes everywhere. I guess I just need to be even more careful.
Old 05-03-05, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't even have to squeeze my bottle, just tap the nozzle against anything(in our case the chain) and fluid will come out.
Old 05-03-05, 10:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, alright, I'll give it a shot when I get my new derailler. my bike is currently incapacitated.