Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rim Damage

Old 06-21-02, 06:25 PM
Life's Too Short

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rim Damage

I was riding my old x-mart bike tonight, and hit a stump off a little jump, and noticed there was a buit of a bulge out of the side of rim. The are alloy, and pretty cheap, so how should i fix it? Is it worth taking to my LBS or can i do it myslef? How can i do it if so?
Old 06-21-02, 06:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Know anything about removing dents in a fender using a Dolly and Hammer? The same idea applies to the rim. Put something hard and shaped somewhat like the inside of the rim, and tap --I said, TAP, not hammer-- until it is smooth again. It won't come out perfect, but if you're careful, it can be fairly close.

Remember, though, that the wheel will never be as strong as it was before you mangled it.

But, if you are going to continue jumping, you would be doing yourself and your family a favor by investing in some wheels that are made for that kind of abuse. It may save you a trip to the hospital.
Also, if yu ever move on to something a little better than the x-Mart special, You can transfer the the same good wheels.
Old 06-22-02, 07:10 AM
Life's Too Short

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I thought I could fix it that way, just wanted to make sure. And BTW i don't normally ride an x-mart bike, I traded with my brother for that ride, and there was a large stump where i landed. I'm surprised I didn't do more damage.
Old 06-22-02, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would ease it back into place using a large adjustable spanner (monkey wrench), rather than tap it.
Old 06-22-02, 07:47 AM
Life's Too Short

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never thought of that Sounds like it might be easier on this rim.
Old 06-22-02, 01:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think Alloy rims take well to the crescent wrench repair, but let us know how it turned out.
Old 06-22-02, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anything you do with a hammer or a wrench or a vise or any other gripper is going to leave a permanent dent in the outside wall of the rim.

The best thing I have found is to put two thin pieces of hardwood on both sides of the damaged rim area. Fit a large C-clamp onto both sides of the two pieces of wood and squeeze the dent back into place. Works good without noticeable damage.