Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sprained Ankle in Bed? Cycling Injury?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sprained Ankle in Bed? Cycling Injury?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 06:56 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, I have been sitting at the computer for a few minutes trying to think how to explain this. I still haven't come up with a great method but here it goes....

I am a pretty experienced rider with many thousands of miles, mainly on mountain bikes. A couple weeks ago i got a road bike.Everything was going great. I have around 400 miles on it and was having fun. I did a lot of miles of Thursday. I had around 65 for the day. The problem was that the last 35 were very intense as they were on my first group ride............ever!

I was able to keep up with some of the more experieced roadies, while the best riders dusted me. I really busted it hard however. Friday i took the day off from riding, which i never do, because i was pretty tired. I decided it was time for a recovery day. Fast forward to last night, I went to bed anticipating a great ride this morning.

Everything was fine until I felt a massive pain in my left ankle. It felt like i was playing basketball and suddenly sprained it very badly. The pain got worse, and worse until i couldn't put any weight on it. I finally got some aspirin and Aleeve in me and an icepack and was able to get to sleep several hours later.

It was very painful and felt nearly as bad as it did when i broke that ankle about 15 years ago. This morning, it feels much better, but it is still very weak. It feels like i had a severe ankle sprain about 5 days ago. No real pain, but sensitive to put weight on it.

I know this sounds crazy, and was hesitant to post it. I just am curious if anyone thinks I might have caused this from the cycling. Kind of odd that it happened right after my hardest 35 miles, and on a day when i rode the most i ever have in one day. (65) I have ridden nearly 10,000 miles in the last 18 months with no problems at all. It just seems to coincidental?

Anyone ever have such a phantom injury? I mean, seriously you can't sprain your ankle watching Jay Leno in bed. What happened?
Old 05-07-05, 08:00 AM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may have weakened it riding, or from the different position. Then slept with it torqued up and when you put weight on it it stretched everything back into place, instant pain. I messed up one of my ankles and now every now and then it will be pretty sore when I get up.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 05-07-05, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah, probably from the ride, then just not taking care of it afterwards probably was the icing on the cake.

I hope you aren't riding today. See a doctor!

Koffee

Old 05-07-05, 08:52 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No I'm not riding unfortunately. I can't stand not riding. This is my 2nd day in a row with no ride. That hasn't happened in a long, long time. I am going nuts. Maybe tomorrow will look brighter. I'll see the doc if not better by Monday.

(BTW, i did get the mountain bike out and try to go. My ankle just hurt way too much. I just kept thinking....maybe it will feel better on the bike. No such luck )

Last edited by Portis; 05-07-05 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-07-05, 09:04 AM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've sprained my ankle severely a couple of times, and each time it didn't start hurting unti after I woke up the next day! RICE, baby!
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
Drug stores have immobilizers that are pretty effective, but if it's too bad go see a doctor. I ended up with a "Bledsoe Bott",(immobilizes ankle from the knee-down, yet allows you to w...er,hobble.) Remember, if it's severe enough, and you DON'T see a doctor, it might end up a recurring problem. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-07-05, 09:55 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was this your first time using clipless pedals?
Old 05-07-05, 10:02 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Was this your first time using clipless pedals?
No. I wasn't using clipless. However, these are the first miles (miles on road bike) i have used with clips. (or any form of pedal attachment.) I have ridden all of my miles before on good ol platforms. I wondered if the clips might have contributed as well. It is the outside of my ankle that is slightly swollen and still very tender. Could the clips have caused it?

As a side note, i did order clipless and shoes this week. Things aren't looking to great on that front either. Not too thrilled to be learning that with an injured ankle.
Old 05-07-05, 10:13 AM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Ok, I have been sitting at the computer for a few minutes trying to think how to explain this. I still haven't come up with a great method but here it goes....

I am a pretty experienced rider with many thousands of miles, mainly on mountain bikes. A couple weeks ago i got a road bike.Everything was going great. I have around 400 miles on it and was having fun. I did a lot of miles of Thursday. I had around 65 for the day. The problem was that the last 35 were very intense as they were on my first group ride............ever!

I was able to keep up with some of the more experieced roadies, while the best riders dusted me. I really busted it hard however. Friday i took the day off from riding, which i never do, because i was pretty tired. I decided it was time for a recovery day. Fast forward to last night, I went to bed anticipating a great ride this morning.

Everything was fine until I felt a massive pain in my left ankle. It felt like i was playing basketball and suddenly sprained it very badly. The pain got worse, and worse until i couldn't put any weight on it. I finally got some aspirin and Aleeve in me and an icepack and was able to get to sleep several hours later.

It was very painful and felt nearly as bad as it did when i broke that ankle about 15 years ago. This morning, it feels much better, but it is still very weak. It feels like i had a severe ankle sprain about 5 days ago. No real pain, but sensitive to put weight on it.

I know this sounds crazy, and was hesitant to post it. I just am curious if anyone thinks I might have caused this from the cycling. Kind of odd that it happened right after my hardest 35 miles, and on a day when i rode the most i ever have in one day. (65) I have ridden nearly 10,000 miles in the last 18 months with no problems at all. It just seems to coincidental?

Anyone ever have such a phantom injury? I mean, seriously you can't sprain your ankle watching Jay Leno in bed. What happened?
It could be Gout. Gout can come on just as you've described - overnight with no apparent warning signs. Whenever I've sprained an ankle there have always been clear and present warning signals letting me know I've screwed something up. However, Gout will just creep up in the middle of the night and you can wake up with extreme pain in the knees, ankles or feet. I ususally get it in my toes. Last may I had the same thing happen that you'd described to my ankle and could hardly walk for about 3 days. Then magically on about the 5th day it was gone as quickly as it came about.
Old 05-07-05, 12:11 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New shoes rubbing your ankle knob? I would rice it for a couple of days and then spin on a trainer if you have one, this would work on your flexibility without putting much load on the joint.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 05-07-05, 05:57 PM
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I was thinking some sort of rheumatism.
I am having trouble with an ankle this week too, with no apparent cause.
I have had rheumatism in an an ankle so severe I could not walk. It came on suddenly lasted a few days then left just as suddenly.
See your doctor
Old 05-07-05, 07:17 PM
Out of breath again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
It could be Gout.
That was my guess, too. Sounds just like it to me.