Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the Total Gym 1500???

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 11:27 PM
I Am Online Now!

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, LeMond Poprad, Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to see the infomercials with Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley and think "What a Freakin' Scam!! That thing is garbage!!!"

But lately I've been looking into getting an exercise machine to use at home and this came to mind, I read some reviews on Amazon.com, some bodybuilding website and went to the website for the actual product... I'm almost 90% sold on getting one...

Anyone here have/use one? At $250, even if I use it just 1-2 times a week, it'll beat getting a gym membership.
Now please excuse me, I gots to get my tree fed.
Old 05-07-05, 11:44 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I have the older model ..Price remains close to what I paid...I think it utilizes all the major muscle groups..Including legs. but, mostly, i wanted it for upper body.. a basic piece of equiptment..it works...
I bought it at Sports Chalet...they have one set up and ready for you to try on the floor...
Old 05-08-05, 12:01 AM
I Am Online Now!

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, LeMond Poprad, Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, how long have you had it? Do you use it still?

Is it worth getting? I plan to use it 3-4 times a week after I get home form work. (I get off work at 12midnight... so going to a gym is not an option)... and also to use when it's raining and I don't ride my bike.

I think they sell them at Modells (on the east coast)... I have to check that out tomorrow, otherwise, I can order one online I guess.

Thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
I have the older model ..Price remains close to what I paid...I think it utilizes all the major muscle groups..Including legs. but, mostly, i wanted it for upper body.. a basic piece of equiptment..it works...
I bought it at Sports Chalet...they have one set up and ready for you to try on the floor...
Now please excuse me, I gots to get my tree fed.
Old 05-08-05, 01:37 AM

It has given me positive results in the past... My real feelings..Not much of a gym kinda person...I find spending a lot of time at the gym boring..so I bought the total gym...So, if I am gonna use any kind of gym eqpt. it will have to be at home..
For awhile I used it quite religiously..It worked the upper body pretty good..
Since I screwed up my right shoulder..It causes a lot of pain..I could get beyond that..I would use it more..Plus I wonder about more stress on the rotor cuff...
I suggest..find a store that will let you use it there to demonstrate how it feels..I think you will feel it is working all the major muscle groups.
Old 05-08-05, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once worked out with a friend of mine that has one. He wanted my opinion on how it perform. Not, I bet Chuck didn't work out on this machine, it is not work the price or time. My friend only used it about 5 times and has never used it since. Closet stuffing,
Old 05-08-05, 01:45 AM

Question..Did your friend take to any gym equiptment at all, ever ...I thought with determination one year it did tighten up my chest area quite a bit...But, like a bike trainer..If you are not determined, you will not use any piece of equiptment over a period of time..
Old 05-08-05, 05:36 AM

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look up bodyweight exercises, there's a guy selling a DVD of a bodyweight exercise program, and that's good, but you can find sites by HS and college coaches etc with some killer bodyweight exercises, those and some weights, don't go overboard, and you can do a LOT. You can do a ton with a pair of dumbbells, some kinda thing for chinups (I have a piece of copper tubing across a couple of my storage shelves, for chinups now and maybe part of an antenna later) and your own body, and you can do a lot.
Old 05-08-05, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a basic bench for $100 and some dumbbells and/or bar bells.

Also, if you really want a total gym, buy used from the classifieds. They are quite common around my parts for 50% off.
Old 05-08-05, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp, City Bike (in the truck)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one, It is a great addition to any gym, you do indeed get a "total" workout.
A very good work out too.
I have been a gym user for over 20 years and can see why this would also be a good piece of equipment to start out with, but I would still get/use the free weights too. If you want to build as well as tone.
Don't know about cost though, I got mine from the curb, someone put out for the trash man!
Old 05-08-05, 07:17 PM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Unit
I used to see the infomercials with Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley and think "What a Freakin' Scam!! That thing is garbage!!!"

But lately I've been looking into getting an exercise machine to use at home and this came to mind, I read some reviews on Amazon.com, some bodybuilding website and went to the website for the actual product... I'm almost 90% sold on getting one...

Anyone here have/use one? At $250, even if I use it just 1-2 times a week, it'll beat getting a gym membership.
$250 would buy quite a bit of used weight training equipment if you could get it at garage sales and ebay. I even built my own preacher curl bench out of scrap wood. Still needs a few adjustments and a can of spray paint from Big Lots but I only have $15 in it. The pictures are the first trial run. Took out the polyfill and used an extra extra firm pillow instead as it worked much better. In a few weeks I'm going to put together a squat rack.
Old 05-08-05, 08:08 PM

Gotta say..I sort of agree with ALt. about the versatility of the TOtal gym..Look them up on their web site..seems the web site lists all the various routines possible..something like 30, think it was...with free wieghts can you do squats , etc..all i know the year I was commited to the total gym, it did work my upper body pretty darn well...if only not for my shoulder, pretty sure I would still use it routinely.
Old 05-08-05, 10:13 PM
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the older 1000 model, and for a basic piece of equipment that stashes pretty easily, I think it's a good deal. I've had it for a couple of years, and I still use it fairly regularly. I've got about 3 mini routines I do, 3-4 excercises in each position, 10 - 15 reps, 3 sets each, and can get through it in about 30 minutes. I got mine at Mo's.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 06-24-09, 07:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one

I have one and i will even bargen with and give it to you for just 200$
when you get this and decide if you whant to by it send back asap. thanks isaac stephens
Old 06-24-09, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was given one as a gift back in March and I have enjoyed using it. I really like using it for "assisted" body weight exercises like dips, chin ups, pull ups. Attaching and detaching the cable system is a bit of a pain if you switch exercises a lot. I used it exclusively for about 2 months, then switched to doing most work with my flat bench and dumbbells, then using it for the "assisted" body weight exercises I mentioned.

To be honest, its not bad, but if it wouldnt have been a gift I wouldnt have bought one. I would have spent some extra money and bought a Olympic barbell set and a bench. The barbell + bench is tried and true.
Old 06-24-09, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Where to begin....

The best exercise is the one you will actually do. I like going to the gym. I have weights at home, and a variety of other resistance devices. I never use them.

But I go to the gym and push stuff around all the time.

Getting a bench and some weights would be far better. If you do, get this...
https://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lift.../dp/1583332383

In addition, an exercise ball is fantastic for core work. I use one at the gym and
am very impressed with it.

The one thing missing after you get a weight set and bench is a way to pull down. There are a number of ways to deal with that.

I am not a fan of those gyms-in-a-box. I have seen very expensive ones that were inferior to a basic set of weights and a bench that would have cost 1/10th as much.

I can suggest some great aerobic devices. I like my Kurt Kinetics trainer and love my Concept 2 rower.

But the reality is your body is simple, even if devising the best way to train it is hard. You want legs? Grab a bar and squat.
Old 06-25-09, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Keep the Gym, send me Christie!
Old 06-26-09, 10:57 AM
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've got one (the older 1100 version I think), it works well for me. However it doesn't work so well for my husband who is much taller and heavier, he just doesn't fit on it.
Old 06-26-09, 11:06 AM
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
chin up bar, dumbells, and a few yoga tapes/dvd's is all one needs for a full body workout, imo.