Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you think of these road bikes Costco is selling?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-09-05, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Opinions anyone? Is it a good buy for $949?

https://www.fezzari.com/Catania.htm
Old 05-10-05, 12:11 AM
It's a Sledgehammer..

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A "large" fits riders 5'8" - 6'3"??? Sounds like a gamble considering similar bikes with identical components for $1000. Don't know anything about that frame in particular, though.
Old 05-10-05, 12:18 AM
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
holy crap... per the website on their geometry page it says: "Don't be fooled into thinking that more sizes means better fit. Fine fit is achieved with seat post and stem adjustments."

WOW... that's crazy.
Old 05-10-05, 12:32 AM
Softcore Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parts spec seems ok for the $950 or whatever but that frame just looks horribly out of proportion. Probably rides weird.
Old 05-10-05, 12:35 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
that frame is odd, the downtube sreams TT bike, but the rest screams sport riding.

Other than the frame, the bike looks pretty nice

I think that frame is bipolar
Old 05-10-05, 01:32 AM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the frame is too far from what many of the major bike manufactures are now offering for some of their models. Several major brands are offering compact geometry bikes with just a few sizes.

The price doesn't look that great to me. You can get a last years model bike with similar components for about the same price at most LBSs. The difference being you're going to get a professional fit to go with the bike which can make all the difference in the world. You can also get a major brand that you can unload on ebay if you want to trade up after a couple of years. You're likely to take a major hit on resale for a no-name bike. I'm a big fan of Costco, but this doesn't look like a good deal.
Old 05-10-05, 01:48 AM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The frame itself is probably fine but not great. The component spec is decent. The price is mediocre... one can do better at a LBS. That MSRP is pretty high although at $950, it's not too bad but I still think you can score a better bargain elsewhere. The assembly quality from Costco is bound to be suspect. Expect to tack on another $50 or so to have a qualified bikeshop do a complete tuneup. The fitting is going to be nil so beware when entering the water... no life guard on duty and there's that "shark warning" that cryogenic previously mentioned. When you consider that a comparably equipped Specialized Allez Elite is MSRP at $1100 and actually has better frame and components plus service from a LBS, that bike from Costco doesn't look like such a bargain anymore.
Old 05-10-05, 02:00 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
The frame itself is probably fine but not great. The component spec is decent. The price is mediocre... one can do better at a LBS. That MSRP is pretty high although at $950, it's not too bad but I still think you can score a better bargain elsewhere. The assembly quality from Costco is bound to be suspect. Expect to tack on another $50 or so to have a qualified bikeshop do a complete tuneup. The fitting is going to be nil so beware when entering the water... no life guard on duty and there's that "shark warning" that cryogenic previously mentioned. When you consider that a comparably equipped Specialized Allez Elite is MSRP at $1100 and actually has better frame and components plus service from a LBS, that bike from Costco doesn't look like such a bargain anymore.
Or simply put: The Costco bike shaped object sucks
Old 05-10-05, 06:10 AM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I would go to a LBS and avoid this...I know you can have better. I got my LeMond Tourmalet (04 model) for $850.00...and it's specced with 105/Ultegra. The frame and stem on that just don't look right, and as stated earlier, I wouldn't trust the assembly.

― Bruce Lee
Old 05-10-05, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, 1989 Nishiki International, Specialized Stumpjumer M2 Hardtail, ProFlex 856 Full Suspension

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fezzari? Sounds like a p0rn star name for a bike. That could be one of the cheesiest sounding bike names going. That alone would make it impossible for me to buy that bike (plus I agree with other posters, the price doesn't blow me away).
Old 05-10-05, 06:58 AM
Hopped up on goofballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the same price, I would take a look at a Trek 1500.
Old 05-10-05, 07:13 AM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No name alumimum frame, and ok components for $950? Coming from Costco, I would have expected a better deal.

What I do find interesting is what this says about the resurgence of road bikes.

55/Rad
Old 05-10-05, 07:18 AM
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is some company buying stock Taiwanese frames, then slapping a logo and 105 kit on them.

The major difference you're bound to see is that they only bother to purchase four frame sizes, then try to bull**** you into thinking there's only four sizes needed.
They were simply too cheap to buy the in between sizes.
Old 05-10-05, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What worries me is the fact that there is a market for this kind of stuff, whose quality is unknown (but probably not stellar). A bunch of people who go to Costco and not their LBS might be enticed by such a bike. I can't imagine them having a good warranty, and I certainly don't think Costco employees are good for fit and advice about riding ... but that's a gross overgeneralisation that's probably horribly inaccurate
Old 05-10-05, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Anything from Costco is going to be pretty cheap.

Koffee

Old 05-10-05, 07:48 AM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
I think this is a gross over-generalization. Costco sells cheap stuff for sure but they also sell less expensive, decent quality stuff. This bike is not a good example of that unfortunately but it's not like we are talking aout Walmart.

55/Rad
Old 05-10-05, 07:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the plunge and bought one. The bike came delivered almost fully assembled, and was adjusted pretty good. I have owned several road bikes and this one – surprisingly – is a great ride. I found out more info on the frame -- the manufacturer says it's made in Taiwan at a couple of factories that also make many other high-end bike brands. It far exceeded what I thought I was going to get.
Old 05-10-05, 08:07 AM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jogo413
I took the plunge and bought one. The bike came delivered almost fully assembled, and was adjusted pretty good. I have owned several road bikes and this one – surprisingly – is a great ride. I found out more info on the frame -- the manufacturer says it's made in Taiwan at a couple of factories that also make many other high-end bike brands. It far exceeded what I thought I was going to get.
Well I don't mean this as a personal attack, so please do not take it as one....I cannot imagine why you would spend $950.00 at Costco when you could have gone to a bike shop and spent the same money (and, in some cases, less) and gotten a much better product and service. The frame was manufactured in Taiwan, but by whom. Are you so unconcerned about your own safety? This may sound a bit melodramatic but I am not about to drop almost $1000.00 on something that I have to put my butt on and maybe slice down hills at 30+mph, and not know who manufactured it, or assembled it.

This looks to me like it is clearly aimed at the impulse buyer, and that is not the way to spend $950.00 on a bicycle, epsecially a road bike where safety is clearly an issue.

At least you got it for yourself and not a "gift" for aomeone else.

Just my two cents

― Bruce Lee
Old 05-10-05, 08:34 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked 3,532 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by pseudobrit
This is some company buying stock Taiwanese frames, then slapping a logo and 105 kit on them.
And that's somehow different than what other companies do at these price points?

Old 05-10-05, 08:50 AM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown

Koffee
It may be cheap in price, but for the most part Costco sells high quality merchandise. The bike mentioned is the obvious exception.
Old 05-10-05, 08:57 AM
Banned.

Bikes: specialized allez pro, giant tcr composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a bunch of snobs. There is nothing inherently wrong with this bike. The price point is about right for what they are selling, not stellar, but OK. They spec'ed it with everything that you would expect and did not pull any quick substitutions, they even went with a FSA 2 piece crank with and integrated MegaExo BB. There is nothing unsafe about this bike. I would be more worried about someone picking up cycling using this bike blowing by you in a few months after catching the bug. I would expect this bike to give years of decent performance to someone who buys it.
Old 05-10-05, 09:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one of these Catanias and I love it. As posted on another thread, it rides nicer than my previous bikes, granted that bikes in general have advanced a lot since then.
Old 05-10-05, 09:06 AM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ewitz
What a bunch of snobs. There is nothing inherently wrong with this bike. The price point is about right for what they are selling, not stellar, but OK. They spec'ed it with everything that you would expect and did not pull any quick substitutions, they even went with a FSA 2 piece crank with and integrated MegaExo BB. There is nothing unsafe about this bike. I would be more worried about someone picking up cycling using this bike blowing by you in a few months after catching the bug. I would expect this bike to give years of decent performance to someone who buys it.
The original question was, "is this a good deal?" My answer is no. It's not that I don't think it's a decent bike, it's just that better deals can easily be found and when you factor in no free fitting or support from a LBS, it becomes a very bad deal.
Old 05-10-05, 09:06 AM
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
No name alumimum frame, and ok components for $950? Coming from Costco, I would have expected a better deal.

What I do find interesting is what this says about the resurgence of road bikes.

55/Rad
I agree!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-05, 09:35 AM

Bikes: 531 steel frame Peugeot (20 yrs old) and 2005 Tommaso AS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lemond Reno w/aluminum frame with true road bike geometry and at least a semblance of racing heritage, cf fork and stem, mix of tiagra and 105 drive components = $800 or so at LBS; next step up in their line would get 105 all around, I think, for about a grand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.