Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Where to find a training Manual

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 02:28 PM
wackodacko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just starting to ride again, and am looking around for some sort of training manual to use as a guide for my efforts for the next few months..
Basically I have a startup/small biz that's been in the works since last year and only recently has everything been smoothening out and giving me time to do other things like sleep more, ride, goto the gym, $$ for a bike, etc.

Activeness history:
Mid 1999 and earlier : Very active - was in HS and was in a ton of different varsity and national teams.

Mid 1999-2002: College - really busy cuz I had to finish in 3 years - virtually no exercise.. gained 30 lbs cuz I was still eating like an athlete! YUM!

2003: Got laid off so I started mountain biking with a mall bike and doing other things like white water rafting every weekend and the gym - lost 30 lbs and was back to my normal self. Was biking at least 200miles a week then.

End of 2003 to present: gained like 20+ lbs, got married and launched a startup business which left absolutely no time for exercise.

The last time I rode a 3 hour trail ride as well as an 8 hour adventure race was in August 2004, I was totally out of shape and had no training, we were just doing it for fun..

So, based on my past history as active to couchPotato to active to couchPotato, etc.. what type of daily regimen should I be doing? I'm getting a bike next Tuesday (for my bday im turning 24 yay!) and I also have a gym membership that has 1 hour spinning classes every morning...

Another thing to note is that i work at night, 9pm to 6am, not that it would make a diff.. but it just means im really "alive" at 6AM and not groggy from being newly awakened or whatever..

Thanks! If you know any websites please post them, too! My goal is to do uphill trails without walking, lose 30 lbs without going on any diet, and after several months, start joining some races either xc races or adventure races
Old 05-10-05, 02:33 PM
wackodacko

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, i forgot to mention i have a big ass... how do i make it smaller (does sitting on a bike for 3 hours a day help me at all!?)
Old 05-11-05, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wackodacko,
Unfortunately, when it comes to cycling, people seem pretty tight-lipped about giving out training advice and/or plans. I guess that's why there are still websites where you can go and pay for help. It's strange, I got myself to a pretty decent level of photographic skill solely from reading photography forums, but if you ask someone how often you should ride your bike, no one will tell you.

Having said that, here's what I do, and I have made a lot of progress in the two months I've been cycling...
Tuesday and Thursday - higher intensity ride, 15 miles with hills (approx 1 hour)
Saturday - group ride and/or long flat ride 30-40 miles moderate intensity (2-3 hours)
Sunday - easy ride with my wife, low intensity, 20-25 miles (1.5-2 hours)

I've lost weight, built muscle, increased endurance, speed, etc by following this routine. And it's only 4 days a week, which gives me plenty of time for recovery. It took me a while to build up my long ride, and I'm still increasing it. Shooting for about 50 miles with hills by mid-June.

My ass actually got bigger, but that's because I had no ass to begin with. I'm pretty happy with it, and so is my wife. She whistles at me when I get out of the shower. If your ass is too big now, it will probably shrink as you burn off fat. Those long rides burn tons of calories.