Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Expanded Tern recall

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Expanded Tern recall

Old 09-09-17, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Certainly any visible defect in a welded area is cause for concern. The history of that particular frame is not given, so it's hard to say whether its defect is structurally significant. (..snip)
Wut?
Old 09-09-17, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Again, false choice. Obviously--you folks are deliberately dense when it suits--is not between Hi-Ten and Al, but rather between Hi-Ten and Chrome Molybdenum Steel.

You know, I know, we know that if the shoe were on the other foot, that is, if the Dahons and other blue-collar folders were made of Hi-Ten, you'd view that add further evidente if they their low quality. Once again, evidente if the elitism and bias that afflicts this channel.
First of all the Brompton does use Chromoly steel at least in part.

https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...my-frame-last-

The way its worded above it is stating no mention of high tensile steel but I read something in the past that indicated that it was a mixture which was ok as brazing had no problem connecting the different steels at full strength. However it could be simply the frame is chromoly but the forks are high tensile steel I guess that would be accurate and fit in with the statement above. However I thought it was explained differently in the past with both metals used in the frame to give the right properties in the right places. I.e. a little bit of flex in the main downtube but rigidity in the bottom bracket. I guess the main frame could be chromoly but the rear section high tensile or vice versa as another option. The point is Brompton have designed their frame using different steels and also use brazing which is more expensive but gives a stronger frame.

I'd have no problem with Dahon using high tensile steel. I'm a huge fan of steel as anyone who reads my posts would know. I was the one saying the Dahon Curl should use a steel frame to give it better ride quality and help make it a more compact design. A few high tensile steel Dahon models with a 120kg weight capacity would be pretty good I think.
Old 09-09-17, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 188 Posts
Not from Brompton, but I have no reason to doubt its accuracy:

Every Brompton hand-brazed hi-tensile steel main frame is essentially identical: the steel tubing, the hinge, the dimensions and the geometry.

from the link:

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/info/brompton/
Old 09-09-17, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Wut?
Not all cracks lead to catastrophic failure, or necessarily *any* failure. A defect that affects structural integrity is ... (wait for it)... structurally significant.
Steve
Old 09-09-17, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by sweeks
Not all cracks lead to catastrophic failure, or necessarily *any* failure. A defect that affects structural integrity is ... (wait for it)... structurally significant.
Steve

I cast you out Josh Hon!! Leave this poor woman. Begone!!
Old 09-09-17, 10:44 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy

Every Brompton hand-brazed hi-tensile steel main frame is essentially identical: the steel tubing, the hinge, the dimensions and the geometry.

from the link:

Now that we've all been sufficiently sidetracked by someone with a bone to pick with Not The Subject Of This Thread, back to our show.
Old 09-10-17, 04:13 AM

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by bargainguy

from the link:

I was curious why the Brompton site was saying both chromoly and high tensile steel in different places and turns out chromoly is or can be a high tensile steel.

4140 High Tensile Steel | Interlloy | Engineering Steels + Alloys

So both statements are accurate although I think Brompton would be well advised to only mention Chromoly due to cyclists often having low regard for high tensile steel due to its common use on entry level bikes. All the 41-- series steels are chromoly steels. Mystery solved.
Old 09-10-17, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I fail to understand why Brompton only offers a 5 year frame warranty when, theoretically, 4140 is stronger than 4130 (which is used in Bike Fridays with lifetime frame warranty). Is it because of the hinge or brazing or something?
Old 09-10-17, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I fail to understand why Brompton only offers a 5 year frame warranty when, theoretically, 4140 is stronger than 4130 (which is used in Bike Fridays with lifetime frame warranty). Is it because of the hinge or brazing or something?
Warranty terms are (theoretically) market driven. Also, keep in mind that, in the bicycle industry, a "lifetime warranty" on a frame usually means "for the useful life" of the frame --- not "forever". Most bicycle warranties are not transferrable to subsequent owners, and a "lifetime warranty" is pretty much worthless if the entity making the warranty no longer exists.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 09-10-17, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
Warranty terms are (theoretically) market driven. Also, keep in mind that, in the bicycle industry, a "lifetime warranty" on a frame usually means "for the useful life" of the frame --- not "forever". Most bicycle warranties are not transferrable to subsequent owners, and a "lifetime warranty" is pretty much worthless if the entity making the warranty no longer exists.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
BF and Brompton have both been around for many many years so a lifetime warranty is not worthless if you buy a bike from a reputable company. Transferrability might matter to some, but if you buy a bike in the price-range of BF or Brompton, you probably already know what you want and what works for you. Dahon has a 5 year warranty - I expect more from Brompton at 2-3 times the price - but I guess Brompton buyers don't.
Old 09-11-17, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by linberl
This is what they say on the site. Seems fair to me.

The Brompton frame parts (front frame, main frame, rear frame, forks and handlebar support assembly) are covered by a 5 year warranty against manufacturing or material defects (please note that normal wear and tear is not covered). Compared to the frame warranty widely offered on conventional bikes - often referred to as “limited lifetime” - this may seem quite short. However, the nature of our frame design, with its regularly folded and unfolded frame sections, and with the majority of Bromptons used in day-in, day-out commuting, our bike can be subject to the stresses more comparable with bikes with full-suspension frame parts, for which a 5 year warranty is the norm. Nevertheless, if your Brompton is over 5 years-old and develops a fatigue failure, please report this to your local Brompton dealer so that the circumstances of the failure can be discussed with the factory.
Old 09-11-17, 07:51 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
However I thought it was explained differently in the past with both metals used in the frame to give the right properties in the right places, i.e. a little bit of flex in the main downtube but rigidity in the bottom bracket.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The Young's Modulus of various structural steels doesn't vary all that much.
Old 09-11-17, 09:09 AM
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Again, false choice. Obviously--you folks are deliberately dense when it suits--is not between Hi-Ten and Al, but rather between Hi-Ten and Chrome Molybdenum Steel.

You know, I know, we know that if the shoe were on the other foot, that is, if the Dahons and other blue-collar folders were made of Hi-Ten, you'd view that add further evidente if they their low quality. Once again, evidente if the elitism and bias that afflicts this channel.
For the sake of conversation, Dahon does make steel framed bikes in addition to aluminum framed bikes.

Pricepoint Boardwalk and SUV models are made from Hi Ten Steel.

Speed D7 and Speed D8 models are made from Chome Moly Steel.

I am not sure what Speed Uno's are made from.

Molybdenum adds quite a bit to the quality of many steels, not just Hi Ten, stainless steel in particular. It tends to make steels more resilient and in other situations less prone to corrosion..
Old 09-11-17, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tcs
It's not just about elastic properties but fatigue weakness and the materials in question may be a mixture of hardened and unhardened. One of the big advantages of brazing is the ability to mix metals in construction. This may be variations of the same base metal, hardened and unhardened, different metals or even non-metals and differences in thicknesses where welding might damage the thinner material. There are a huge variation of steels and aluminiums all with advantages and disadvantages for each application. High end low volume brazed frames either using columbus or reynolds tubing have been blending different materials for years to get the right properties in the right places. Probably the same is true of welded frames its just more difficult which metals can be paired.

See no.7 here;

https://app.aws.org/wj/2000/09/0015/
Old 09-11-17, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
This is what they say on the site. Seems fair to me.
Trek and Specialized both have lifetime limited warranties. They don't apply that to the suspension forks/parts but the frames are warrantied even on the mountain bikes. I've never seen anyone on a Brompton put their bike through anything even close to what a mountain biker does, they mostly pootle to transit. Daily use is a problem? If there are specific parts on the frame that are over-stressed, design them better with better materials (or exclude those specific parts if you cannot).

I'd buy what they're saying if the Brompton was in Dahon price range, but not at the price Brompton charges. I think they owe their customers more. Imo, it's a premium bike at a premium price with a low-end warranty. A quality steel bike should last decades and the warranty should reflect that.
Old 10-16-17, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I was just contacted by a Bay area medical researcher whose Tern frame failed last week. I encouraged him to post information and pictures into this thread.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.

Last edited by downtube; 10-16-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be me (the medical researcher). This is my first post here so can't upload a picture yet, but it was a clean break at the weld at hinge in the middle of the bike. Tern 20 inch bike; I was sent to the trauma unit at the hospital with several head injuries (even with a helmet on). Recovering now (this happened last Thursday so I'll get some stitches out tomorrow).
Old 10-16-17, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 188 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, joewiems, and hoping that you will have your bike replaced under warranty.
Old 10-16-17, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joewiems
That would be me (the medical researcher). This is my first post here so can't upload a picture yet, but it was a clean break at the weld at hinge in the middle of the bike. Tern 20 inch bike; I was sent to the trauma unit at the hospital with several head injuries (even with a helmet on). Recovering now (this happened last Thursday so I'll get some stitches out tomorrow).
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you recover soon.
Old 10-16-17, 12:43 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Saw this on the London Brompton Club FB page last month;
supposedly by Unruly’s (Advertising Agency) reception in Whitechapel.
22008226_10154709102406436_6940662596475359571_n.jpg
Old 10-16-17, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by joewiems
Wow! Hopefully nothing serious. Update us on you're recovery.
Old 10-16-17, 07:40 PM

I also wish him a quick recovery. He told me he bought two Tern's. The one that failed was a Link that was purchased in 2016. He said it was not part of any current recall.

He said he will stay away from public posting until his attorney gives him permission.

Thanks
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 10-16-17, 08:03 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
The one that failed was a Link that was purchased in 2016. He said it was not part of any current recall.
Based on what I saw in the various failure pictures, it seems to me this was a design problem not a manufacturing problem; if this is correct it therefore affects ALL Terns made before the weld design was changed and augmented, and the recall is a red herring. There will therefore very likely continue to come cases to light of frames that broke exactly as the others did and not be part of the recall.

If Tern had any business sense, they would speedily replace this guy's two frames with the improved versions, no questions asked, and pay for his expenses, and get a non disclosure agreement.
Old 10-16-17, 08:34 PM

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube

He said he will stay away from public posting until his attorney gives him permission.
Wisely....
Old 10-17-17, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by jur
Based on what I saw in the various failure pictures, it seems to me this was a design problem not a manufacturing problem; if this is correct it therefore affects ALL Terns made before the weld design was changed and augmented, and the recall is a red herring. There will therefore very likely continue to come cases to light of frames that broke exactly as the others did and not be part of the recall.

If Tern had any business sense, they would speedily replace this guy's two frames with the improved versions, no questions asked, and pay for his expenses, and get a non disclosure agreement.
I don't think this customer wants another folding bike...especially from Tern.

What about the hundreds if not thousands riding these bikes that have not been recalled that have the same problem???

FYI I went to Tern's forum yesterday and I was officially kicked out However it seems that they changed the forum to hide the tern frame failure thread. Is that true? Anyone have access to the forums? I have a backup copy at home, but I'm away teaching until December and won't have access until then.

I just noticed they changed their recall page. Take a look at https://www.ternbicycles.com/2014-li...luntary-recall . It all looks fishy to me....the recalled bikes have a serial number why not share the recalled serial numbers. Why require all this stuff. Something is not ok.

It's a good thing they sued me over the summer. They provided an address and partial corporate structure in the complaint. Hopefully this helps future victims.

Thanks,
Yan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.