Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Depreciation rates?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Depreciation rates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Depreciation rates?

How fast/slow do new bikes depreciate?

Let's say a bought a Felt F70 this year (for $1000) and decide to sell it next year, and i keep it in really good condition? how much can i sell it for?
Old 05-13-05, 12:18 AM
Drug Company Pawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll give you $500 for it right now.

But seriously... check out ebay and craigslist and you can get a good sense of what a year or two old bike will go for. I'd estimate that within a year you can get about 80-90% of the retail value... depending on model demand.
Old 05-13-05, 08:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks how much would you let your '04 F65 go for?
Old 05-13-05, 09:32 AM
Drug Company Pawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put a NASTY scratch in the paint on the underside of the downtube about two weeks after riding it out of the LBS. I put it on a bike rack with another bike and the front derailer cable rubbed about a 2"x4" gash in the paint. Strictly cosmetic, but it would effect the resale value.

I paid $1200 for it last summer and I bet I could still get $900-1000 for it. Maybe.
Old 05-13-05, 09:53 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I've said it before and i'll say it again, people value their used posessions WAY too high. Especially from the regular CL bikes for sale posts. POS dept store bikes and people want $150 for it, used.
Old 05-13-05, 10:28 AM
Drug Company Pawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
I've said it before and i'll say it again, people value their used posessions WAY too high. Especially from the regular CL bikes for sale posts. POS dept store bikes and people want $150 for it, used.
In general I agree with you. CL bikes are MASSIVELY overvalued in most cases. However, how do you know that people aren't getting what they ask for? There are a lot of misinforment BUYERS out there. Technically, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. In other words, how do you know that the person asking $150 for a used POS dept store bike doesn't end up getting that for it? I bet in many cases they do... too many people aren't good shoppers.
Old 05-13-05, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which makes ebay a great place to sell stuff, market your product well on the auction page and ppl will buy anything at ridiculous prices sweet!
Old 05-13-05, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug
I put a NASTY scratch in the paint on the underside of the downtube about two weeks after riding it out of the LBS. I put it on a bike rack with another bike and the front derailer cable rubbed about a 2"x4" gash in the paint. Strictly cosmetic, but it would effect the resale value.

I paid $1200 for it last summer and I bet I could still get $900-1000 for it. Maybe.

man i put some scratches between my crank and the chainstays when my chain fell off and got jammed between. this was within a week of getting my bike and my 3rd time riding it . oh well it's just cosmetic. i plan on keeping my bike for a long time anyway
Old 05-13-05, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who periodically scans eBay for deals on bikes, I can say that most people are not looking to save only 10% on a used bike. At that price they would likely just go to the store and buy a brand new one.

People on ebay in my estimation are looking for serious deals. Last week there was a NEW 2004 Felt F45 for $975 shipped with full Ultegra. 18# bike with carbon forks, stays and good wheels. The bike retails for $1500 new. Felt isn't a huge brand name (yet) so the guy couldn't sell the bike brand new even for 30% off.

Anyway you've got a great bike I'm absolutely in love with those Felts. Check eBay for the latest auctions and see what's selling, at what price.
Old 05-13-05, 03:28 PM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Demand is the key here... some of the things that influence the price of a bike

1. Size... very important, are you 5'1" and ride a 49 cm bike or 6'6" and ride a 63 cm bike... the bike will be less valuable.

2. Brand... like some cars certain brands hold more value, expecially the higher end frame builders

3. Component groups... DA and Record bikes are more desirable bikes, expecially for someone looking for an upgrade.

etc, etc

I could not sell my 2100 for half of what I have in it due to the frame size (63cm) but if I put it on a 58 cm frame it would be worth more.... it all really depends.
Old 05-13-05, 03:37 PM
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even brand new last year's bikes lose value. You can find new 04 Felt F70s at dealers for $750. How much do you think a used 04 F70 would fetch?
Old 05-13-05, 04:05 PM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've had a little experience buying used bikes...in fact, I've never bought a new one.

One overly general formula I use to guage possible value range in a 1-3 year old mint condition used bike is this - 1/2 of original MSRP.

For instance, since very few of us actually pay MSRP, a $1500 bike might sell for around 12 or 13 in it's model year. At closeout, it might be priced at $999. After a years worth of lite use, I'd examine it as a $750 bike, adjusting up or down depending on a wide variety of factors.

Hope that helps.

55/Rad