Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

LT intervals...

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

LT intervals...

Old 05-16-05, 08:00 PM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LT intervals...

Alright, I just got back from a nice LT interval session, getting ready for my 4 mile itt and crit this weekend. I go out to this little "crit course", basically a football shaped course that is slightly downhill for half and slightly uphill for the second, very simular to domigous hill crit this weekend. Well the wind was blowing very hard today, about 30 MPH and that changed things a little. Add to that the 10 miles home is mostly climbing and into the wind...

Normally I do 3 - 4 10 minute LT intervals right at or right above LT then rest for a lap and do it again, it turns out to be 3 laps on 1 off with a sprint at the end. Today the brunt of the wind was going uphill but I refused to let my speed drop under 21 MPH even into the wind on the interval (the other side had no wind but is rolling so it is quite fast (about 27 MPH). I know I was well over LT for all 3 intervals today because of the wind, and after each interval I was absolutly shot. Usually when I do the intervals at just over LT I can do 4 sets of 3 laps and I have almost nothing left after 4. It felt like each interval was just under the intensity for an itt...

Is their any benefit to going significantly over LT in a LT interval for extended periods of time (i.e. like in a race)? Does your lactic acid buffering increase faster when you ride higher above LT?

All I know is the ride back was one of the most painful rides I have done, other than the intervals, going uphill facing a 30+ MPH wind with dead tired legs...

Thanks as always
Old 05-16-05, 09:02 PM
Rubber Side Down

Bikes: 2005 Felt B2 TT Bike, 2005 Trek 2100, 2001 Fuji Finest AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going significantly over will boost your Anaerobic endurance (useful for a crit). You will become more efficient and keep the power output high when your body gets used to this. The little training section in one of the spring classics said that during low duration (Like the 10 min ones you were talking about) should be a few beats above LT while longer ones should be a few beats below LT.
Old 05-17-05, 12:13 AM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by soccerismylife
Going significantly over will boost your Anaerobic endurance (useful for a crit). You will become more efficient and keep the power output high when your body gets used to this. The little training section in one of the spring classics said that during low duration (Like the 10 min ones you were talking about) should be a few beats above LT while longer ones should be a few beats below LT.
Yup. Pushing one's self significantly above LT will only aid in training lactate buffering.

my58vw, the only thing about doing these intervals by HR is that the first interval or two it will be very difficult to push the HR up to and above LT. About the third and fourth interval it's a peice of cake and it's likely that speeds will decrease should a target HR be the objective. When training by wattage a rider can keep their output on even keel for all four intervals much easier.