Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Kissena in today's NY DAILY NEWS

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 01:21 PM
"Dice Roller"

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check it out. Great little story about the event this Sat.

https://www.nydailynews.com/05-18-200...p-265575c.html
Old 05-18-05, 01:23 PM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice!
Old 05-18-05, 01:36 PM
"Dice Roller"

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry here's the article do you don't have to hit on the link...

Battle of wheels

It's bicycle messengers vs. the pros

BY WARREN WOODBERRY JR.
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Don't shoot the messengers - just try to beat them.
That will be the goal of professional and amateur cyclists who will be racing against - that's right, bicycle messengers - at the Kissena Velodrome in Flushing on Saturday.

The Kissena Classic marks the official start of the 2005 competitive cycling season. And while sponsors say the emphasis of the friendly competition will be on camaraderie and fun, there will be more than $4,000 in cash prizes at stake.

"This event is really to kick off the race season for bike messengers now that the weather is getting warm," Barney Waters, vice president of marketing for the PUMA sneaker company, an event co-sponsor. "The season leads up to a world championship race for bike messengers from June 30 to July 4 in Jersey City."

Waters said the Kissena Classic is open to the public, and offers spectators the opportunity to become familiar with the fixed-wheel biking culture as well as the bike messenger community. Saturday's race is not being held to qualify bikers for the championship race.

Built by Robert Moses in 1962, the Velodrome, at Parsons Blvd. and Booth Memorial Ave., was showcased during the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows. After falling into disrepair following years of neglect, it was refurbished and repaved last year, and has been touted as a training facility for Olympic cyclists, should New York City win its bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

TEAM PUMA, a select group of five elite bike messengers, will showcase its skills, going up against peers and professional riders.

"PUMA gave us the opportunity to showcase our skills and styles to the world," said team captain Kevin (Squid) Bolger. "PUMA has been a supportive partner for TEAM PUMA and the bike messenger community, and we're proud to represent them in the streets and track every day."

Bike messengers will compete in the Kissena Classic for free, courtesy of PUMA. All other cyclists are asked to contribute $10. Registration for riders begins at 11 a.m. Saturday, and races will occur throughout the day until 5:30 p.m.

Entertainment will provided by deejays, and there will be refreshments and giveaways by PUMA and other event sponsors.

Other event sponsors include the Track Star Bike Shop, Timbuk2, New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Kissena Velodrome Committee, Fixed Magazine, the NYC2012 Committee and the Major Taylor Association.

Originally published on May 18, 2005
Old 05-18-05, 02:14 PM
ready for the freakout

Bikes: Spicer track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice article, but since when was CMWC in Jersey City?!!
Old 05-18-05, 02:16 PM
tabula rasa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who is going to kissena this weekend? and any route advice from red hook (south brooklyn) to flushing? or is bike to train to bike the way to go?
Old 05-18-05, 05:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jitensha_de_go!
nice article, but since when was CMWC in Jersey City?!!

Yeah, that's unfortunate isn't it? True from what I've heard, but just the main races, all the alleycats and I think some of the other events will be held in NY.
Old 05-18-05, 07:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nine
who is going to kissena this weekend? and any route advice from red hook (south brooklyn) to flushing? or is bike to train to bike the way to go?
you can take the f train to parsons and ride straight up parsons (walk over overpass) to the end. velodrome is right there. to ride, take dean to cooper (not sure if they actually intersect) and ride up cooper to yellowstone to jewel and take kissena blvd to booth memorial. velodrome is on the left at parsons.

some members from trackstar and puma will be there. me, lightgraphs, armia, animalfixed, redmenace and bloo from these forums will be there. we like to take the train there and ride back. sometime the ride back is the most fun part of the day. i think bloo will have a big day on sat, but watch out for me and lightgraphs!
Old 05-18-05, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Msngr
you can take the f train to parsons and ride straight up parsons (walk over overpass) to the end. velodrome is right there. to ride, take dean to cooper (not sure if they actually intersect) and ride up cooper to yellowstone to jewel and take kissena blvd to booth memorial. velodrome is on the left at parsons.

some members from trackstar and puma will be there. me, lightgraphs, armia, animalfixed, redmenace and bloo from these forums will be there. we like to take the train there and ride back. sometime the ride back is the most fun part of the day. i think bloo will have a big day on sat, but watch out for me and lightgraphs!
Good luck against the non-mess's but I can only think that this will significantly reduce the quality of the field at the team alleycat going on the same day. Sweet.
~ellis