Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which bike for touring 1000 miles comfortably

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. Me and my friend are looking for new bikes. He wants one for under £200 and I want one for under £400-500

Basically we are riding 1000 miles and stealth camping so we need to carry everything with us as well.

So what characteristics should we look for in our bikes? Also is it normal to carry a backpack on your back or is it better to attach everything to the bike?

I was thinking maybe handlebars higher than the seat to ease the back. What do you think of these kinda bikes....

https://www.raleighbikes.com/bikes/index.html?sub=3

I like the look of the metro GTE myself and maybe the Metro LX for my friend.

What do you think?
Old 05-22-05, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
These are city bikes that are fairly high geared but we've seen people tour with 3 speed Bromptons so anthings possible The Venture is Raleigh's touring bike but it's probably more expensive.

I don't know how that rear rack will hold since it was not built for touring in mind. St. John's cycles has some excellant touring bikes but not for £200 unfortunately. I suppose these bikes could work if you pull a trailer.
Old 05-22-05, 09:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The venture is £400 so pretty reasonable but I am still wondering about the height of seat to handlebar thing for your backs sake.
Old 05-22-05, 10:15 AM
Pedalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at the Revolution Country or Cosmos from Edinburgh Bike Coop at: https://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk
Reynolds steel frame, acceptable components and ready to tour (don't be discouraged by the drops because they are comfortable for touring).
For the under-£200 bike I think it's better to go to the second-hand market.
Old 05-22-05, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by clayface
Have a look at the Revolution Country or Cosmos from Edinburgh Bike Coop at: https://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk
Reynolds steel frame, acceptable components and ready to tour (don't be discouraged by the drops because they are comfortable for touring).
For the under-£200 bike I think it's better to go to the second-hand market.
I second that but think again about the bars above the seat idea. O.K. for short rides but for touring you need a position which gives 60% of your weight on the saddle and 40% on the bars which translates into having the bars level or almost level with the saddle. Again it's crazy to think about rucksacks when you can carry your luggage in panniers attached to the rack. I suggest you have a look at any book on cycle/touring to get the basics before setting off.
Old 05-22-05, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thankyou very much I've just never done this sort of thing before but have bmxed/stunt riding and mountain biked from a very young age. When I ride my mountain bike I sometimes get a stiff back and feel like I want to situp and stretch while riding(which I do). I guess though its an inefficient way to ride sitting up. Anyway thank you again for the help and I think for myself I am going to go for either the raleigh vulture and I will replace the road tires with hyrbid tires or I will possibly get the cosmos bike since it has such good reviews and do the same thing on the wheels.

Last edited by pritch; 05-22-05 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-22-05, 05:57 PM
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
I did my 1,950 mile tour on a $110 Schwinn Sidewinder and had no problems with comfort. Also had no problems at all with the mechanics of the bike.

Cheers,

https://poorguyonabike.crazyguyonabike.com
Old 05-22-05, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow you are my friend who cant afford a decent bikes hero
Old 05-22-05, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
get a used touring bike. King of Mercia, Dawes Galaxy, that sort of thing.
Old 05-27-05, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I rode my new Edinbourough country today. First time I've ever used anything but a mountain bike and it takes some getting used to. At first when going slowly i kept nearly falling off. Then when I was going fast I decided to stand up to get a bit more power, then I was really really close to falling off! Also having no suspension is really nasty on the ass. Its much harder to do wheelies up curbs and things. All together though the bike is very light and I can take off so much faster than on my mountain bikes so I'm sure it will take me far on the road Must admit though in a way I'm kinda wishing i got a hybrid. I get the feeling I wont be able to do much on anything but flat roads on this bike. Or am I wrong?
Old 05-27-05, 08:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My company is looking to do a coast to coast bike trip with high school students on an annual basis. we'd do group sizes of 10-12. We're looking to include the bike in the price of the trip. Ideally, we'd like to keep the cost of the bike $1000 or less. We'd carry all of our gear with us. Anybody have any suggestions with what bikes to look into?
Old 05-27-05, 08:40 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmylee
My company is looking to do a coast to coast bike trip with high school students on an annual basis. we'd do group sizes of 10-12. We're looking to include the bike in the price of the trip. Ideally, we'd like to keep the cost of the bike $1000 or less. We'd carry all of our gear with us. Anybody have any suggestions with what bikes to look into?
Fuji Touring. About $850 ea. They do have some issues with gearing but you might be able to work a deal with whomever you buy the bikes from. The bikes have a good spec and they are well built. They come with a rear rack but some people have said that the rack is weak. Again that's easy to replace and you might be able to cut a deal.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-27-05, 09:20 AM
Pedalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pritch
Its much harder to do wheelies up curbs and things. All together though the bike is very light and I can take off so much faster than on my mountain bikes so I'm sure it will take me far on the road Must admit though in a way I'm kinda wishing i got a hybrid. I get the feeling I wont be able to do much on anything but flat roads on this bike. Or am I wrong?
Tourers have sort of slow handling to let you carry heavy loads safely over a varied road scenario (including hardpacked trails). The Country's gearing is also consequent with this attitude and I'm sure its goals are beyond flat land.
Old 05-28-05, 02:58 AM

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Kentucky, my local dealer carries Trek and Fuji. He is recommending I get a Fuji touring bike for around $800, rather than a Trek 520 which runs around $1,100. He says the Fuji is every bit as good as the venerable 520, which has been around since time began.