Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Storing a bicycle in the middle of a trip

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-23-05, 05:15 PM
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

This summer I will be travelling from Québec City to Gaspé. After arriving in Québec City, I will be going somewhere for several days, with no possiblity of taking my bicycle with me. When I return to Québec City five or six days later, I will begin my tour. During my absence, I will need a safe place to store my bicycle.

Where do people store their bicycles when away from home? Will a hotel or a B+B keep a bicycle under these conditions? I suppose I could arrange to stay in a hotel both nights. What other options are there?

Alan
Old 05-23-05, 05:22 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could ask a hotel if it would keep your bike for a week -- I would expect the odds would be best if it was a bed-and-breakfast out of town where they had plenty of space rather than somewhere in Quebec City itself. Hell, I've stored a car at a Quebec (province, not city) bed and breakfast for a week while I went off on a biking tour. You wouldn't think a bike would be a deal-breaker.
Old 05-23-05, 05:56 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not the cheapest way but probaly much safer than a storage room in a hotel U-haul self storage in Quebec
Old 05-23-05, 07:36 PM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With Bed and Breakfast, I don't think they would object to the principle, but some B&Bs in the Old Québec have very cramped quarters, so they could run out of place.

You might also look at Roger Gravel's Warm Shower List, at https://www.rogergravel.com/wsl/

Maybe you could find a "warm storage room" too...
Old 05-23-05, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Join a hospitality club. I belong to https://www.hospitalityclub.org/. It's an unusual request for someone to host a bike, but it's an easy one, and if I were a host, I'd do it.

People on the site are very friendly. I haven't heard of anything bad happening to anyone (yet).

Koffee

Old 05-24-05, 12:15 AM
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If none of the above work for you, perhaps a local bike shop could keep an eye on it. Perhaps for a small fee, or if it turns out you want a simple tune up.
Old 05-24-05, 05:25 AM
where2pedalto.com

Bikes: LoGo Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On our ride around Australia we needed to leave our rigs at Port Fairy so as to train it onto my parents place and we managed to get the local Police to look after them for us. We put them in their carpark and covered them with a tarp - No problems. Might be worth a go.