Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I can't see you because your tail light is too bright!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I can't see you because your tail light is too bright!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Regardless, the car was way, way too close to him, which is what caused the bump, period. If I can hit you by moving backward two inches, you are far too close. In a manual transmission car, on even a very slight incline, I would probably roll backwards more than that while starting.
When in doubt, burn out?

But yeah, the guy *was* way the hell too close. Pretty sure if you rear end a car like that, you're at fault. Same with a bicycle.
Old 01-05-17, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
When in doubt, burn out?

But yeah, the guy *was* way the hell too close. Pretty sure if you rear end a car like that, you're at fault. Same with a bicycle.
Yes, the bloke was responsible for all the damages. Let me see, that would be for the grand total of zero quid.

I think the prat may have trouble monetizing this "event." Then again, backing into a car might go viral.

-mr. bill
Old 01-05-17, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hotbike
Hard to believe it's Europe, and not New York.
Birmingham residents would say none of the above.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-05-17 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
This is why behavioral economists claim to really reduce auto collisions all that needs to be done is mount a metal spike on every car's steering wheel center. Helps to have some skin in the game to encourage compliance.
And here I thought that crazy idea was unique to me.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased to find out there are other people out there with cold black hearts like mine.
Old 01-06-17, 02:03 PM
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Yes, the bloke was responsible for all the damages. Let me see, that would be for the grand total of zero quid.

I think the prat may have trouble monetizing this "event." Then again, backing into a car might go viral.

-mr. bill
Another straw man, Bill. Nobody said there were damages. That doesn't make it OK. If we're standing in line at the shop, and I shove you, is it OK if you don't get hurt?

Did you give up on the claim that the cyclist caused the accident by rolling backward?
Old 01-06-17, 06:46 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
And here I thought that crazy idea was unique to me.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased to find out there are other people out there with cold black hearts like mine.
I am also in that camp.
Old 01-06-17, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Another straw man, Bill. Nobody said there were damages. That doesn't make it OK. If we're standing in line at the shop, and I shove you, is it OK if you don't get hurt?

Did you give up on the claim that the cyclist caused the accident by rolling backward?
The prat was responsible for all damages to the Mercedes too, zero quid.

If I'm standing a queue, and some bloke bumps into me and says sorry, well, that's alright by me then, no worries.

If some prat posts such an incident (three camera angles even), and swears at the bloke, and turns out they bumped into the bloke, well, they're a prat.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-07-17 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If I'm standing a queue, and some bloke bumps into me and says sorry, well, that's alright by me then, no worries.

If some prat posts such an incident (three camera angles even), and swears at the bloke, and turns out they bumped into the bloke, well, they're a prat.

-mr. bill
I think that would make them both a couple of dicks.
Old 01-07-17, 01:38 PM
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts

-mr. bill
I see, so you won't answer the actual questions, then. Figures.
Old 01-07-17, 05:10 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Personally, I've detuned my taillight in low speed urban areas, especially when I could light up street signs a 100 plus yards away at night, in the opposite direction.
I want to get motorists' attention but not blind them in the process, and if one wants to use a high powered tail lamp, treat it like a head lamp, and adjust it's viewing angle accordingly.
Old 01-07-17, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by dynodonn
I want to get motorists' attention but not blind them in the process....
What a rational position!

-mr. bill
Old 01-08-17, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I'm not going to defend the motorist, but cyclists should think a little bit further than just taking the brightest light they can find and have it flash for 'maximum visibility', it's selfish and stupid. When I'm driving I like to see all the cyclists and the rest of the people around, and I like to be able to estimate distance and speed. Some cyclist who is trying to attract all attention to himself with a bright light flashing isn't helping, not even his own visibility.
Old 01-08-17, 11:39 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Personally, I've detuned my taillight in low speed urban areas, especially when I could light up street signs a 100 plus yards away at night, in the opposite direction.
I want to get motorists' attention but not blind them in the process, and if one wants to use a high powered tail lamp, treat it like a head lamp, and adjust it's viewing angle accordingly.
Remember, you are likely dealing with people whose attention is focused on something other than driving... for that, the nuclear option may be your best bet.

The driver in the video presented in the OP, only had to keep back some distance, or stop further back... yet chose to NOT do either.

I "love" how some here keep putting this back on the cyclist...

Last edited by genec; 01-08-17 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by genec
Remember, you are likely dealing with people whose attention is focused on something other than driving... for that, the nuclear option may be your best bet.

The driver in the video presented in the OP, only had to keep back some distance, or stop further back... yet chose to NOT do either.

I "love" how some here keep putting this back on the cyclist...
In a low speed urban situation, I personally view the nuclear option as overkill, (think of having your picture taken with old school flash bulbs) and I personally like to lean more towards properly aimed mid range tail lamps, coupled with highly reflective material on many of the moving parts of my bicycle, as well as on my body.
Old 01-08-17, 01:54 PM
genec

In a low speed urban situation, I personally view the nuclear option as overkill, (think of having your picture taken with old school flash bulbs) and I personally like to lean more towards properly aimed mid range tail lamps, coupled with highly reflective material on many of the moving parts of my bicycle, as well as on my body.
Just how does that reflective material work for daytime visibility? And do note that the motorist had on their headlights... no doubt to increase his own visibility.

I rather doubt that "mid range tail lamps" would provide much in the way of "see me" capability in day light.
Old 01-08-17, 02:45 PM
Cycle Year Round

In the flood of modern bright LED red tail lights on cars and trucks, even the brightest cycling lights get lost in the mass.

So until states allow manufacturers to make bright blue lights in the design of current bike lights, I am using the brightest red light I can for a reasonable cost.

True those lights may be too bright for the cyclist behind in a paceline, but for normal road use, they are just fine.

None of the currently marketed lights have blinded me while either cycling or motoring. Maybe I just have too much common sense to not ride up the cyclist ass when they are cycling at night.
Old 01-08-17, 02:56 PM
genec

Originally Posted by CB HI
In the flood of modern bright LED red tail lights on cars and trucks, even the brightest cycling lights get lost in the mass.

So until states allow manufacturers to make bright blue lights in the design of current bike lights, I am using the brightest red light I can for a reasonable cost.

True those lights may be too bright for the cyclist behind in a paceline, but for normal road use, they are just fine.

None of the currently marketed lights have blinded me while either cycling or motoring. Maybe I just have too much common sense to not ride up the cyclist ass when they are cycling at night.
Or during the day.

Yeah, a unique color for bike lighting would be great... would instantly show other road users that there is a vulnerable road user on the road.

Frankly I go with multiple blinkies for this, and still use my Planet Bike flasher with the odd flashing pattern...

Common sense... yup... one would think.
Old 01-08-17, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
So until states allow manufacturers to make bright blue lights in the design of current bike lights
That will never happen, because blue lights are typically used only on emergency vehicles.
Old 01-08-17, 04:07 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I got a chuckle out of the comment about the driver of a car with manual transmission rolling backwards when starting out. I haven't owned a car with automatic transmission for a very long time and I can guarantee you that anyone who drives one for more than a short time will learn to release the clutch as they begin to start out and never roll backwards even on the steepest hill.

I wish people would stop feeding the trolls. It's like wrestling with a pig. Pigs don't understand logic and trolls don't either. One comment made early in this post makes sense. The new vehicle LED brake lights are far brighter than any bike tail light. I've seen a few recently that are obnoxiously bright, day or night, if you are stopped at a traffic light behind one of them. Why is it that I haven't seen a rash of accidents because these lights are too bright?
Old 01-08-17, 04:38 PM
Banned

Just how does that reflective material work for daytime visibility? And do note that the motorist had on their headlights... no doubt to increase his own visibility.

I rather doubt that "mid range tail lamps" would provide much in the way of "see me" capability in day light.

For daytime visibility, in a low speed urban situation, I rely more on bright colored clothing than reflective material. As for the motorist's headlight, newer cars have headlights that have a cutoff line, unless they have been modified or altered, so not to blind oncoming motorists, but still provide ample lighting to view the road ahead for a considerable distance, and my personal vehicle has such headlights.
My version of a "mid range tail lamp" is 200 lumens versus the 400 lumen that I was previously using, and also I took care in aiming the light in a manner that I felt would garner the most attention without being offensive to following road users
Old 01-08-17, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I got a chuckle out of the comment about the driver of a car with manual transmission rolling backwards when starting out. I haven't owned a car with automatic transmission for a very long time and I can guarantee you that anyone who drives one for more than a short time will learn to release the clutch as they begin to start out and never roll backwards even on the steepest hill.

I wish people would stop feeding the trolls. It's like wrestling with a pig. Pigs don't understand logic and trolls don't either. One comment made early in this post makes sense. The new vehicle LED brake lights are far brighter than any bike tail light. I've seen a few recently that are obnoxiously bright, day or night, if you are stopped at a traffic light behind one of them. Why is it that I haven't seen a rash of accidents because these lights are too bright?

You must remember, some people are not very good at operating vehicles with standard transmissions, regardless of how much seat time that they had operating them. As for LED brake lights, most people understand that the vehicle in front of them is either slowing or stopping, not so for a high powered tail lamp that is on strobe.
Old 01-08-17, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Yeah, a unique color for bike lighting would be great... would instantly show other road users that there is a vulnerable road user on the road.
The blue lights mentioned aren't meant to be a unique color for vulnerable road users. It is the color reserved for cops and such. They're kind of the opposite of vulnerable in that they are members of an armed gang that can literally get away with murder.

I've rolled with blue lights in the past. Yes, I know it's illegal and that I could be cited. However, they do get the attention of trouble-makers and drunk drivers and I believe they have added significantly to my safety, so paying a fine wouldn't bother me.
Old 01-09-17, 12:56 AM
Cycle Year Round

As for LED brake lights, most people understand that the vehicle in front of them is either slowing or stopping, not so for a high powered tail lamp that is on strobe.
May I remind you that several car and truck brake lights now initially strobe when the brake is pressed.
Old 01-09-17, 01:09 AM
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
The blue lights mentioned aren't meant to be a unique color for vulnerable road users. It is the color reserved for cops and such. They're kind of the opposite of vulnerable in that they are members of an armed gang that can literally get away with murder.

I've rolled with blue lights in the past. Yes, I know it's illegal and that I could be cited. However, they do get the attention of trouble-makers and drunk drivers and I believe they have added significantly to my safety, so paying a fine wouldn't bother me.
I use several lights at night. They include red, yellow and BLUE. The blue one is attached to my left wrist so I can throw it 3 feet to my side. Works extremely well for those planning on passing me too close. I also use a blue MP reflective bandolera around my Camelbak; which helps during the daytime as well.

The cops or MPs had not said a word to me.

Yes, most states have laws against blue lights. But federal case law in one of our southern states says if it is used for safety, then it is legal under our civil rights regardless of state or local laws. A motorist was broken down and pulled off the road in Georgia or Tenn. I think. He used a blue strobe for safety. Cops arrested him for impersonating the police. State judge convicted him. He appealed in Federal court and the conviction was overturned based on the blue lights use only for safety which was a civil right to be secure in our person. If someone has access to pay for lawyer web access and can find the case, please pass the case # and summary on to the rest of us.
Old 01-09-17, 01:19 AM
Cycle Year Round

PS - for those interested, I bought my blue lights off Amazon, shipped from the UK. They are not the best lights in the world, but they do work well enough at night:

https://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Blue-L...lue+bike+light

None of the following is what I have, but if any of you try them, please give the rest of us some feedback:
https://www.amazon.com/Bonuses-Flash...lue+bike+light

https://www.amazon.com/Kootek-Runnin...KYQNSVVFKT83N4

https://www.amazon.com/No1seller-Rec...lue+bike+light

https://www.amazon.com/Apace-Vision-...lue+bike+light

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.