Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Montana draft bill to ban bicycles from 2-lane highways

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Montana draft bill to ban bicycles from 2-lane highways

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 03:15 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in Montana for 23 years. Here are my thoughts....Missoula and the Bitterroot Valley are very bike friendly. The vast majority of the state is bike friendly.
This proposed law leaves me baffled for two reasons. # 1 - There is NO way it would ever pass. # 2 - in 98% of the state I would seriously doubt a motorist encounters a cyclist on the road more than once a month. Remember that the weather in Montana keeps cyclists off the road about 10 months of the year. The other 2 months most cycling is done off road. I RARELY ever seen cyclists on the two lane highways.
Montana is certainly not like southern California where cyclists are everywhere at all times of the year.
This legislator is out his mind.
Old 01-21-17, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
From Bike Walk Montana
Legislative Campaigns | Bike Walk Montana
LC2196Restricting bicyclists and pedestrians on certain rural highways, sponsored by Representative Barry Usher from Billings. After tons of input from Montanans, this bill as been pulled ‘back for redo’.

Surprise, surprise.
Old 01-21-17, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
While I dont live in Montana (or the US for that matter), such a bill would mean I could not ride much further than the end of my street.
This would mean that I could not even ride to the shops in my suburb.
Old 01-21-17, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
So many hateful anti-cyclist laws seem to pop up disguised in the name of "for your own safety". Whenever a non-cyclist plays the safety card they are typically trying to say they don't want cycling period. It generally boils down to, "I don't want to have to pay attention, and I'm not confident in my own driving skills".
Old 01-21-17, 05:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
So many hateful anti-cyclist laws seem to pop up disguised in the name of "for your own safety". Whenever a non-cyclist plays the safety card they are typically trying to say they don't want cycling period. It generally boils down to, "I don't want to have to pay attention, and I'm not confident in my own driving skills".
Exactly what I was thinking. Laziness.
Old 01-21-17, 05:23 PM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Well, given that motorcycles are WAY more dangerous to ride (more fatalities, more serious injuries, more likely to be killed or seriously injured as a motorcycle rider than as a bicyclist), perhaps the bill should have a expansion: prohibit ANY vehicle with fewer than four wheels in which the rider is not completely enclosed. That is, motorcycles could be included in the prohibition.

Further, given that the bill is being offered on the pretext of safety, and the author views bicycles as unsafe, and the fact that motorcyles are even less safe seems to me to be a stipulation by an elected official that motorcycles are inherently unsafe. This should be useable as evidence in lawsuits against motorcycle manufacturers that they are making, and dealers are selling, an inherently unsafe product.

The asshat that proposed this law owns a Harley dealership, no?

Where is Diodorus Siculus when you need him?
"the man who proposed to revise any law should put his neck in a noose at the time he made his proposal of a revision, and remain in that position until the people had reached a decision on the revision of the law, and if the Assembly approved the revised law, the introducer was to be freed of the noose, but if the proposal of revision did not carry, the noose was to be drawn and the man die on the spot."
Old 01-21-17, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Well, given that motorcycles are WAY more dangerous to ride (more fatalities, more serious injuries, more likely to be killed or seriously injured as a motorcycle rider than as a bicyclist), perhaps the bill should have a expansion: prohibit ANY vehicle with fewer than four wheels in which the rider is not completely enclosed. That is, motorcycles could be included in the prohibition.

Further, given that the bill is being offered on the pretext of safety, and the author views bicycles as unsafe, and the fact that motorcyles are even less safe seems to me to be a stipulation by an elected official that motorcycles are inherently unsafe. This should be useable as evidence in lawsuits against motorcycle manufacturers that they are making, and dealers are selling, an inherently unsafe product.

"the man who proposed to revise any law should put his neck in a noose at the time he made his proposal of a revision, and remain in that position until the people had reached a decision on the revision of the law, and if the Assembly approved the revised law, the introducer was to be freed of the noose, but if the proposal of revision did not carry, the noose was to be drawn and the man die on the spot."
Make it easier still and introduce a bill that says that if you are in a motor vehicle then you have right of way over all other road users and can kill those not in motor vehicles at will.
Old 01-21-17, 09:20 PM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Just to be clear, my note was hyperbolic, and was meant to use irony to wipe the idiot legislator's nose in his own c****y logic.

I'm not sure that the motor vehicle uber alles law wouldn't get some serious consideration.
Old 01-21-17, 09:44 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
For much of American history, the right to travel included the right to travel by the vehicle of one's choice, and courts occasionally struck down regional regulations that required licenses or government permission to travel on public roadways. With the advent of the automobile, however, courts began upholding laws and regulations requiring licenses to operate vehicles on roadways.
Old 01-22-17, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The judiciary committee held a hearing, first item on the agenda was HB 194.

The sponsor spoke in favor of the bill.
Nobody spoke in favor of the bill.
Multiple people (~10) spoke in opposition to the bill.

The bill passed favorably out of the judiciary committee.

-mr. bill
Old 01-22-17, 11:21 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Many states ban cycling on their Interstates. But----------even in several of those, if there is no other hiway connections, there are stretches of the Interstate that bikes are allowed to use.
Old 01-22-17, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,551 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCat
I lived in Montana for 23 years. Here are my thoughts....Missoula and the Bitterroot Valley are very bike friendly. The vast majority of the state is bike friendly.
This proposed law leaves me baffled for two reasons. # 1 - There is NO way it would ever pass. # 2 - in 98% of the state I would seriously doubt a motorist encounters a cyclist on the road more than once a month. Remember that the weather in Montana keeps cyclists off the road about 10 months of the year. The other 2 months most cycling is done off road. I RARELY ever seen cyclists on the two lane highways.
Montana is certainly not like southern California where cyclists are everywhere at all times of the year.
This legislator is out his mind.
1. Two months is a bit of an exaggeration. You will easily find people on the road from June through August and even beyond. Seen plenty of Crazy Guy journals of people riding in the state in September and beyond.

2. Are you forgetting that ACA's TransAm route goes from Lolo Pass to W. Yellowstone? I have done a portion of the MT TransAm piece several times in the last few years, including last year. I saw well over a dozen other cyclists each time in just a few short days on the route and have encountered other touring cyclists in other parts of the state on two-lane highways. Also, the GDMBR uses some two-lane paved roads in the state as does the Lewis & Clark Route and the Northern Tier route. ACA also runs its own organized ride--Cycle Montana--in the state.
Old 01-22-17, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,551 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
While I dont live in Montana (or the US for that matter), such a bill would mean I could not ride much further than the end of my street.
This would mean that I could not even ride to the shops in my suburb.
It would be worse than that. The bill would also ban walking on two lane highways without shoulders.

What happens to the elderly who can no longer drive? Those with physical conditions that keep them from driving and/or obtaining licenses? Those who cannot afford cars and/or insurance?

This about more than cycling.

It takes a special kind of stupid to introduce legislation like this.
Old 01-22-17, 07:36 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Plus the no wheelchairs puts the bill in trouble with the ADA.
Old 01-23-17, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It would be worse than that. The bill would also ban walking on two lane highways without shoulders.

What happens to the elderly who can no longer drive? Those with physical conditions that keep them from driving and/or obtaining licenses? Those who cannot afford cars and/or insurance?

This about more than cycling.

It takes a special kind of stupid to introduce legislation like this.
Don't most politicians specialize in a special kind of stupid?

That is, of course, a rhetorical question.

Old 01-23-17, 07:04 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz

The next, and reasonable, step would be to ban any vehicle that does not require a CDL from the National Defense Highway Network.
Old 01-23-17, 07:08 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Many states ban cycling on their Interstates. But----------even in several of those, if there is no other hiway connections, there are stretches of the Interstate that bikes are allowed to use.
Right, as an example, in California, once you get North of Redding (I actually I think it is Red Bluff) Bicycles are permitted on the freeway except for where it passes through towns. When I lived in Hornbrook I would regularly ride I5 on my way to Yreka. I would normally get off at 96; however, I feel I5 was a lot safer than 263. . . 65 and wide shoulders v. 55 narrow, very twisty, and no shoulders.
Old 01-23-17, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Right, as an example, in California, once you get North of Redding (I actually I think it is Red Bluff) Bicycles are permitted on the freeway except for where it passes through towns. When I lived in Hornbrook I would regularly ride I5 on my way to Yreka. I would normally get off at 96; however, I feel I5 was a lot safer than 263. . . 65 and wide shoulders v. 55 narrow, very twisty, and no shoulders.
At least a few years ago I-5 was 'bike-legal' all the way from Tracy (SF East Bay area) down to Santa Clarita (just north of LA). Besides the climb over the 'Grapevine', the only other issue we had were a number of flat tires from the wires left behind by disintegrating truck tire fragments.
Old 01-23-17, 01:58 PM
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by prathmann
the only other issue we had were a number of flat tires from the wires left behind by disintegrating truck tire fragments.
Known as Michelin thorns.
Old 01-23-17, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
The bill draft was requested by Republican Rep. Barry Usher, who lives outside Laurel and represents House District 40, which takes in Roundup and parts of rural Billings. He is also the owner of Beartooth Harley-Davidson at 6900 S. Frontage Road.
Ah, well then, the logical thing to do is to demand that motorcycles be included in this ban on riding 2-lane highways because they are so dangerous for riders and all...
Old 01-23-17, 02:56 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Well, that didn't take long.

From another forum:
Here's an official statement from Rep. Barry Usher regarding LC2196. Please share this with everyone you know. Even though the draft bill is still on the legislative website, he will not be moving that forward as he indicates below:

"I want to update you on the exciting progress of Montana House LC2196! Since the bill draft had not yet been introduced, I have pulled it back in order to draft a bill that will address the concerns that I have heard from you.

My intent has and remains roadway safety and I appreciate all of the great feedback, ideas and suggestions I have received to improve safety for bicyclists and pedestrians. I am currently working with Bike Walk Montana, Cycle Greater Yellowstone and other bicycle advocacy groups in a positive direction to re-write this proposed bill, with NO BICYCLE OR PEDESTRIAN RESTRICTIONS.

At this point, we do not have any specifics we can share but will soon. We believe that this great group of safety minded advocates will come up with something to further enhance bicycle and pedestrian safety in the great state of Montana."

Barry M. Usher
Representative
Montana House District 40

And,

Update from Melinda Barnes, ED Bike Walk MT:
Hi all-

Barry Usher is now my new best friend and we’re working together, exploring other options for a bill draft, including the possibility of establishing a state bike/ped board, instead of a bill to restrict bicyclists and pedestrians. He’s trying to set up a meeting with someone at Commerce for us to talk with and he’s drafted a public statement we’re finalizing to send out far and wide. It has taken a very positive turn!!
Old 01-23-17, 03:39 PM
Cycle Year Round

How does one re-write this proposed bill exclusively for bicycle and pedestrian restrictions with NO BICYCLE OR PEDESTRIAN RESTRICTIONS.

Clear cut politician speak. I was losing votes so dam fast, I had to do something to pull my foot out of my ass. Please, please Melinda Barnes, ED Bike Walk MT, be my friend.
Old 01-23-17, 04:13 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
The irony is if he really wants to "improve roadway safety" all he has to do is lower the speed limits.
Old 01-24-17, 09:53 AM
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I'd be curious to hear from cyclists in the area about the climate of cycling in Montana. Whenever I hear these stories of banning cyclists, I wonder of what caused this to even become an issue.
I found the climate for cycling in Montana to be excellent, from the touristy areas around Glacier and Yellowstone parks to the flat rural areas in the east, e.g. Glendive. Have mixed feelings on this bill: a wolf in the sheeps clothing of "safety." But dollar for dollar, the best investment we can make in improving bike safety on the roadways is to install and/or widen shoulders; if this bill was linked with a funded commitment to do so, I would consider it.
Old 01-24-17, 10:07 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
The irony is if he really wants to "improve roadway safety" all he has to do is lower the speed limits.
No. Eliminate them.

Good drivers will self regulate. Bad ones will stop using up valuable oxygen much sooner...and in much smaller pieces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.