Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

PCH warning: Bridge closed at Big Sur on Hwy 1

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

PCH warning: Bridge closed at Big Sur on Hwy 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 12:02 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
A foot-path is more realistic, but by no means a certainty.
Right now the ground around it is moving. It isn't stable. The whole thing is one big slide. Besides, it is also state park, and you can't just go in and make a DIY road.

BTW, I really hope you are right, i.e., that a foot-path will be possible, because even pushing a bike through a couple of miles of path would allow one to enjoy a nearly car-free experience on what is arguably the most scenic part of the Pacific Coast ride (certainly the most scenic part south of SF).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-25-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 12:19 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
The terrain makes that impossible. A foot-path is more realistic, but by no means a certainty. .....
You give short shrift to man's ingenuity. The people that live and work in the cut off area will improvise something, even if it's a walking trail connection between staged cars.

Keep in mind, that they had to have built some kind of ground level connector to built that bridge in the first place, and assuredly will do so again to replace it. It won't be fancy, and will be probably only be suitable for all terrain vehicles, but intrepid walkers and cyclists will be able to get by, unless someone makes an effort to block that.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-25-17, 12:22 PM
Occam's Rotor

You need to get out of the city more.
Old 02-25-17, 12:36 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

You need to get out of the city more.
You're right, but only because I've cycled and hiked in terrain as rough as that area in the past, and am not doing it enough these days.

So, I'll turn this back on you and suggest you think about who dug and poured the footings for the bridge, and how they might have done that.

The only barrier to some kind of passage across that gap is government regulation. Absent that, the locals might have something going within a very short period, even if it's simply something like this.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-25-17, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by opusvelo
I read that it was $780 per flight and you could split it with two other people in the 3rd and 4th seats, but there was no luggage except what you could carry in your lap. I guess you could go by yourself and put your bike in back.
Blog says it's a mere $375, assuming you need the entire helicopter.

https://blogbigsur.wordpress.com
Old 02-25-17, 12:42 PM
Occam's Rotor

I think I just messed up my posts, but FWIW:

A foot-path is more realistic, but by no means a certainty.
Right now the ground around it is moving. It isn't stable. The whole thing is one big slide.

The only barrier to some kind of passage across that gap is government regulation. Absent that ...
Well, this is California. It is practically a police state.

Besides, it is also state park, and you can't just go in and make a DIY road.

BTW, I really hope you are right, i.e., that a foot-path will be possible, because even pushing a bike through a couple of miles of path would allow one to enjoy a nearly car-free experience on what is arguably the most scenic part of the Pacific Coast ride (certainly the most scenic part south of SF).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-25-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Blog says it's a mere $375, assuming you need the entire helicopter.

https://blogbigsur.wordpress.com
Yep, you're right. My info was from a few days ago. Nice that they lowered it. 👍🏻
Old 02-25-17, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I just messed up my posts, but FWIW:

Right now the ground around it is moving. It isn't stable. The whole thing is one big slide.

Well, this is California. It is practically a police state.

Besides, it is also state park, and you can't just go in and make a DIY road.

I'm glad I'll be there in mid April instead of now. This will be my first visit. Figuring out a path and an almost car-free Hwy 1 would really be something.

I'm assuming all the campsites will remain closed but I'm not against stealth camping and packing a few days supplies.
Old 02-25-17, 12:54 PM

I didn't say today or tomorrow. But it won't be a year before there's something workable. Realistically, figure early Spring, or when the rains stop. A foot trail using some ropes and stone anchors could be up and running within days of when the area is stable, a cable bridge not much longer.

The only real question is how hard the state will work to prevent an improvised path, or if they'll support (or block) the construction of a temporary cable pedestrian bridge.

Old 02-25-17, 12:54 PM
Occam's Rotor

I'm guessing, but I think the campsites will be open. You just will have to access them (by car) either from the north or the south, but not both.
Old 02-25-17, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Don't see why there wouldn't be any cars. Once everything is cleared, you should be able to drive in, turn around and drive out. Perhaps fewer than usual.
Old 02-25-17, 01:00 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
If they do get a footpath setup, some enterprising person could make a fortune on Uber or rental car service.
Old 02-25-17, 01:00 PM
Occam's Rotor

I didn't say today or tomorrow. But it won't be a year before there's something workable.
Took six months to fix Devil's Slide in 2006, which is near San Francisco, much more heavily travelled, and didn't involve a bridge. Keep in mind that damage from these storms is widespread, estimated to be more than $1B already, and the most remote region of Hwy 1 will be well down the priority list.

The only real question is how hard the state will work to prevent an improvised path, or if they'll support (or block) the construction of a temporary cable pedestrian bridge.
This is a place that puts people in jail for failure to pick up dog crap.
Old 02-25-17, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by alan s
Don't see why there wouldn't be any cars. Once everything is cleared, you should be able to drive in, turn around and drive out. Perhaps fewer than usual.
Yes, once the road is cleared of fallen rocks, either side of the bridge is accessible as a dead end road. So to an extent it should be business as usual.

But, people don't like being cut off, which is why I expect the locals to come up with some kind of way past the bridge.

Old 02-25-17, 01:08 PM
Occam's Rotor

One of the charms of that place is that there are very few locals. There is an old hippy that sits in a rocking chair by a gas station in Lucia (pop. 996), for example. I suppose he could be persuaded to build it, but he hasn't moved from that rocking chair in 22 years.
Old 02-25-17, 01:27 PM
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
They are talking about a temporary foot bridge.

Lance Gorman, Caltrans’ senior maintenance and damage restoration engineer, said the agency was considering creating a temporary pedestrian bridge, but he couldn’t say when or how it would be built. He also could not say how children in the village would catch their bus when school resumes next week. The village is a half-mile south of the bridge, which was built in 1967.
The agency had begun drilling near the bridge to figure out how to anchor the foundation of a new bridge, he said. By Friday, the bridge had cracked completely, and a line of orange construction cones previously visible in the same sight line had disappeared into the dip.
“We don’t know the geometry of the new bridge yet,” Gorman said Thursday at an online meeting of the Coast Property Owners Association. “It will be a straight bridge. The old bridge was on a curve. We want something between a pedestrian or golf cart-sized bridge. It’s still too early to know if we can get away with it.”
Caltrans hoped to have designs for a temporary bridge within four weeks. There were no plans yet for a new vehicle bridge. As the officials planned, nature’s pull continued.
Seems like it might be a while.

Potential walking trails in nearby state parks, which some had hoped would bypass the crippled bridge, were ruled too treacherous after the rains. Trekking without permission came with a $5,000 fine. Three huge waterfalls pounded onto the highway near the bridge, and work crews scraped mud and tree trunks off the pavement. Dozens of vehicles remained abandoned near the north end of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge.
If you want to take the helicopter.

Specialized Helicopters will be running shuttles in and out of Big Sur this weekend between Monterey Airport and Post Ranch Inn.
Each leg, in or out, is $375 each way for the flight or $125/seat. You can carry a small amount of luggage on your lap but if your luggage needs takes up another seat you will need to buy that seat. Please call Specialized Helicopters so that we can optimize each flight and to keep the flights full and affordable for you and make it possible for Specialized to run these shuttles for us.
Flights are limited.
Call Specialized Helicopters at (831) 763-2244 to reserve a seat.
https://www.specializedheli.com
https://www.facebook.com/BigSurInformation

Bridge failure severs Big Sur?s ties to outside world - San Francisco Chronicle
Old 03-16-17, 10:22 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Should be good riding through there as motor vehicle traffic will be reduced. I am going through there this summer. There will be a bypass trail, if not already. Either a game trail or "old hippie" trail. Campgrounds will be open. Looking forward to it....even if it takes half a day to get through.
Old 03-17-17, 07:14 AM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
The only barrier to some kind of passage across that gap is government regulation. Absent that, the locals might have something going within a very short period,
In Santa Cruz - just up the road - it took 20+ years and millions of dollars to build a 1/2 miles bike path.
I wouldn't expect anything quickly.
Old 03-17-17, 07:52 AM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Update article

Excerpt:

Plans to build a single span steel bridge across Pfeiffer Canyon along Highway 1 in Big Sur are approved and permitted.

Construction is expected to take between nine months and a year.

The preliminary bridge design is for a 320-foot single span steel bridge that will sit between abutments on the north and south side of Pfeiffer Canyon. The design has no columns holding up the bridge.

A foot trail for locals that takes them around the bridge is being built but Adams said that will only ease the pressure for residents. The bridge failure is going to have lasting impacts on tourism in Monterey County, and it could be the end for some Big Sur businesses.

Last edited by BigAura; 03-17-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jamawani
In Santa Cruz - just up the road - it took 20+ years and millions of dollars to build a 1/2 miles bike path.
I wouldn't expect anything quickly.
First of all, a critical link in existing infrastructure gets treated differently than something with lower priority.

You and I also have different outlooks and expectations. I have faith in human ingenuity and to a lessor degree in the ability of government to act expeditiously when necessary

Three weeks ago when this happened I predicted that a workable temporary solution would happen sooner rather than later, with a complete repair to follow reasonably quickly.

Now they have a passable foot trail and have started removing the damaged bridge, and have fast tracked a replacement. Not bad for people who can't get anything done.

Old 03-17-17, 10:35 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Whoever thought about 'blowing up the bridge' needs to watch this video:
Old 03-17-17, 11:16 AM
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by trailangel
Thanks for the update.
Whoever thought about 'blowing up the bridge' needs to watch this video:
Who in this thread suggested blowing up the bridge and exactly what does blowing up a whale have anything remotely related to a bridge demolition other than the possible use of explosive? Or was this just an excuse to post a disgusting video?
Old 03-17-17, 11:18 AM

There's another thread about this here on BF. I suggest that anyone interested follow that one, or check the Big Sur Blog, where they routinely post updated info about progress.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-17-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 11:21 AM
Every day a winding road

There's another thread about this here on BF. I suggest that anyone interested follow that one, or check the Big Sur Blog, where they routinely post updated info about progress.

Page not found.
Old 03-17-17, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Page not found.
Fixed.

Must have been a typo when I set up the link. I've also added the link to the other thread, where there's more discussion about progress, though the primary source for most of that info is the blog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.