Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Giant Defy

Old 03-02-17, 07:41 AM
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Giant Defy

My daily commute is about 10 miles each way. Been doing it on my Giant Escape for a while now.
I've got a chance to pick up a Giant Defy really cheap. I think it's a 2015 Defy 3, in good mechanical condition. It's a large frame, so should be the right size (I will definitely test ride it).
The Defy will take a rack and has ample room for water bottles, handlebar bag, etc., so it would be a good commuter.

I'm concerned with switching from an upright hybrid to a drop bar bike. I haven't ridden a drop bar road bike since high school (33 years ago!), other than a Cannondale that I tried and hated.
The Defy seems to have a non-aggressive profile and, from what I've read, I can put a 2" riser on the bars without changing cables.

Any advice or thoughts on switching to a drop bar bike for commuting, specifically the Defy?

I suppose the worst case scenario is that I buy it, don't like it, and then re-sell it.
Old 03-02-17, 07:59 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
I suppose the worst case scenario is that I buy it, don't like it, and then re-sell it.
Yep. This.

It's not as big a transition as you think. It might take you a few hundred miles to get used to it.
Old 03-02-17, 08:08 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Just changed to drop bars again after long absence. I have a 35 degree riser stem an shallow drop bars on an all city space horse. Its been really nice for a 60 yo man. The bike handles better or at least more to my taste. Give it a shot as long as u can afford it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170202_091849.jpg (101.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 03-02-17, 10:59 AM
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Just changed to drop bars again after long absence. I have a 35 degree riser stem an shallow drop bars on an all city space horse. Its been really nice for a 60 yo man. The bike handles better or at least more to my taste. Give it a shot as long as u can afford it
I like this setup. I will give it a try.
Old 03-02-17, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Any advice or thoughts on switching to a drop bar bike for commuting, specifically the Defy?
1)You don't have to have the handlebars very low.

2) For commuting I suggest getting secondary "interrupter" brake levers on the upper portion of the handle bars. These function like the dual handle brake levers of the 70s 10-speed boom, except they are connected by the brake cable, and not a rigid mechanical link. This will let you have quick access to braking when you are riding the uppers which gives you a slightly more upright position which can help with visibility in slow, busiy traffic situations.

3) Consider a glasses-mount or helmet mount mirror. This will let you visually sweep through your rear surroundings with just minor head movement, which helps when you are leaning forward while gripping the brake hoods, or even lower on the drops.

4) I rarely ride in the drops anymore, just when pushing agains a stiff wind.
Old 03-02-17, 03:27 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
lol I don't know if I would call those drop bars...
Old 03-02-17, 04:10 PM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
lol I don't know if I would call those drop bars...
I dont know if I'd call you a rube either.
Old 03-02-17, 04:12 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Giant is the Brand, Defy is the model , you like the shop that sells those?

or used . a frame and a bunch of parts.. it straight? The consumable parts in good shape?

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-02-17 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 04:14 PM
Keepin it Wheel

I dont know if I'd call you a rube either.
touche'!
Old 03-02-17, 04:17 PM
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by RubeRad
touche'!
Actually I'm just an old man thrilled to not need a car. Old ladies at the aldi think I'm homeless.
Old 03-02-17, 05:34 PM
Keepin it Wheel

That's ok. Low expectations are your friend. Nowhere to go but up.
Old 03-02-17, 06:46 PM
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now the place (pawn shop) wants to dicker on price. Still a good price, but not as low as they told me they would go.
I'll give them a couple of days and go back.
Old 03-02-17, 07:20 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Old ladies at the aldi think I'm homeless.
Nah, you'd have to flip the bars over for that.

Old 03-02-17, 08:54 PM
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My daily commute is about 10 miles each way. Been doing it on my Giant Escape for a while now.
I've got a chance to pick up a Giant Defy really cheap. I think it's a 2015 Defy 3, in good mechanical condition. It's a large frame, so should be the right size (I will definitely test ride it).
The Defy will take a rack and has ample room for water bottles, handlebar bag, etc., so it would be a good commuter.

I'm concerned with switching from an upright hybrid to a drop bar bike. I haven't ridden a drop bar road bike since high school (33 years ago!), other than a Cannondale that I tried and hated.
The Defy seems to have a non-aggressive profile and, from what I've read, I can put a 2" riser on the bars without changing cables.

Last year, I arrived at my sister the cyclists house (2400km tour). In asking if she had a drop bar bike I could try, see if I could ride one. Her friend had a Giant Defi II for sale. Well he offered to let me try it the week I was visiting. I fell in love with it about the second day. I did buy it, shipped it home. I have since raised the bars, and brought them back to make it perfect for me. I have a rear rack on mine, as I travel everywhere with my city saddle bag. Real fun to pack a lunch, and some foul weather gear. Rip off a century on a Sunday, ha-ha and I have more than once last fall.

As others have suggested. You can always use it as a second ride until it is a natural.

Hope this helps,

-Snuts-
Old 03-02-17, 08:59 PM
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Its been really nice for a 60 yo man.
Giv'm hell Russell, ha-ha.
I hope I can enjoy riding (lots of riding) as much as you do.

Mile-on Man !

-Snuts-
Old 03-02-17, 10:11 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
When you get your new bike, take it for a few spins on the weekend. Then realize that your body will take some time to adjust to your new position. Ride on the tops then spend more and more tine on the hoods and then a little in the drops. I just set aside my regular gendered commuter that has less drop and reach than my more serious road bikes and it has taken my about 110 miles this week to feel like I belong. This is a bike I regularly road 100+ miles last spring.
Old 03-03-17, 06:28 AM
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going back to bargain with them tomorrow; will let you know how it goes.

I was actually hitting the pawn shops (evidently, there's a merger going on and prices have been cut drastically on old inventory) looking for a upgrade to my beatup Motebecane. They had a gorgeous Rockhopper 29er, excellent shape, reduced to $50. Sadly, it was a 23" frame. I may grab that as well and flip it, though.
Old 03-03-17, 08:30 AM
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Snuts
Giv'm hell Russell, ha-ha.
I hope I can enjoy riding (lots of riding) as much as you do.

Mile-on Man !

-Snuts-
I think u put up more miles than I do.... Only had 3000 last year, but nobody enjoys it more than I do. Hell I think I will be car free sometime this year. What's crazy is I am going to have only one bike. I think I need an intervention.
Old 03-03-17, 12:47 PM
Mid Tour!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
To the original poster, the Defi is a great first drop bar bike (from my experience), less aggressive geometry, light and fast. Only down fall, narrow when it comes to tires, and or fenders. It was not intended for those things. Mine, I struggled to get a 28mm drive tire on it, but did.
I think u put up more miles than I do.... Only had 3000 last year, but nobody enjoys it more than I do. Hell I think I will be car free sometime this year. What's crazy is I am going to have only one bike. I think I need an intervention.
I don't care if I did get a few miles on you last year. I'm hope I may be on par with you on enjoyment, but not in any manner surpassing you.

Well, I posted my March goal of 250 miles in with the Clydes (I'm back there, ha-ha) but it is cold again. -18C yesterday, -21C this morning. The sun in powerful though, should be above freezing by Sunday. I'm itching to try my go-fast bike soon (Defi II).

-Snuts-
Old 03-03-17, 03:07 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
don't negotiate until you test ride it. spin the wheels, test the brakes & shifting. look for flaws & mention them. look at wheels while they spin from the top for side to side wobble & from the side for up & down wobble. when you're ready ... take the cash out of your pocket put it on the table & say this: "I'll give you this right now" if the bike is perfect & you get it for your price, terrific. never be afraid to walk - too many bikes out there plus you already have a bike

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-06-17 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-04-17, 11:28 AM
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Nah, you'd have to flip the bars over for that.

Saw someone on CL selling a bike with the bar flipped this morning.
I don't think I'll be trying that.
Old 03-04-17, 12:10 PM
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Turned out to be slightly older than I was thinking (2011 or maybe 2012). However, couldn't find anything wrong with it other than the bar tape, the crappy pedals, and some dings from being stored. But I mentioned a new saddle, new tires, etc. and got the price down to $200.

Needs: new pedals and a higher stem. I've got some saddles to try on it, and a trunk rack laying around the garage.
The tires are slick so I will upgrade those to something better for the road surfaces I ride. I have some Giant 32mm tires, but I don't think I can fit those in.

I'm going to use it for weekend rides for a while, until I get used to the narrower tires and the drop bars.
Old 03-04-17, 01:05 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
That's a nice find. Congrats.
Old 03-04-17, 10:57 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

turned out to be slightly older than i was thinking (2011 or maybe 2012). However, couldn't find anything wrong with it other than the bar tape, the crappy pedals, and some dings from being stored. But i mentioned a new saddle, new tires, etc. And got the price down to $200.

Needs: New pedals and a higher stem. I've got some saddles to try on it, and a trunk rack laying around the garage.
The tires are slick so i will upgrade those to something better for the road surfaces i ride. I have some giant 32mm tires, but i don't think i can fit those in.

I'm going to use it for weekend rides for a while, until i get used to the narrower tires and the drop bars.
Hmmmmmm, your photo doesn't show up for me.
Old 03-05-17, 05:52 PM
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Hmmmmmm, your photo doesn't show up for me.
Can't seem to get pics to show from either Google Photos or Dropbox.
Here's a smaller pic uploaded.

Switched to a Adamo time trial saddle I have (it looks a lot better on the Defy than it did on the Escape). I will probably switch this out for a Selle Royal Ellipse like I have on my Escape right now.

Tilted the handlebars up a bit. The rise was surprisingly OK. Every bike I own has a riser added to the stem, but doesn't appear I'll need to on the Defy. I'm going to try the current stem for a longer ride, maybe next weekend, but I'm thinking the same length with a 20-30 degree rise.

Kept the 25mm tires and rode about 10 miles. Felt pretty good, though I am still not sure about the tires if/when I start commuting on this bike. We'll see after my first longish ride.

Next up is a handlebar bag. I don't want to weight the bike down with a trunk rack if I can avoid it. I can haul clothes in once a week to the office so I don't have to lug too much daily.

The weirdest part of the ride was using a helmet-mount mirror instead of a handlebar mount. I have monocular vision and my left eye is my weakest, so I have to close the right eye to use the mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Defy3small.jpg (72.4 KB, 95 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.