Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Knee pain - ride or don't ride

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been having a lot of pain on the inside (medial) of my left knee. The funny thing is, it feels OK when I ride, but afterwards it hurts to stand up, walk, or straighten the leg. Since I feel OK when riding, I'd really like to keep going, but I'm afraid I may be causing some damage.

Before anyone answers with the obvious stuff:

1) I have had a professional fit from someone who is a legend in Toronto cycling. He took a lot of time with me, and I think the fit is spot-on.

2) I use speedplay pedals with tons of float

3) I ride in low gears and spin at a fairly high rpm. I am also avoiding hills completely.

Most years I have some knee pain and I always figure it is just over use. Previously it was always my right knee that hurt. This year my right knee is absolutely fine, and the left knee is killing me.
Old 05-27-05, 07:59 PM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might try some of the dietary supplements like glucosamine/condroitin/msm. Might be my imagination (don't think so), but it seems to have helped my knees.
Old 05-28-05, 06:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashtest
Before anyone answers with the obvious stuff:
I think the one obvious suggestion you missed is:

4. See a doctor

An orthopedist who specializes is sports medicine should be able to figure out what's wrong and know how to fix it. You don't mention any stretching you're doing. Could just be you need to stretch. In that case, the orthopedist would give you a referral to a physical therapist.

Good luck.

Bruce
Old 05-28-05, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Lowekamp
I think the one obvious suggestion you missed is:

4. See a doctor

An orthopedist who specializes is sports medicine should be able to figure out what's wrong and know how to fix it. You don't mention any stretching you're doing. Could just be you need to stretch. In that case, the orthopedist would give you a referral to a physical therapist.

Good luck.

Bruce
Yep - you're right. That's what I'm going to do if it doesn't get better. In the meanwhile I'll stay off the bike for a couple of days. Damn! Now what am I going to do all weekend?
Old 05-28-05, 07:14 AM
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you a F/T commuter? Is that why you don't want to rest it?

How long on the bike before the pain goes away?
Old 05-28-05, 08:34 AM
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad someone suggested a doctor -all kinds of alarms go off in my head when I get knee, shoulder, or back pain. No need to mess around with these areas IMO.

I had a bit of knee pain on my right side after a longer-than-ususal ride on Tuesday, and I'm taking a long (5 days) break from serious rides, and taking today completely off as far as biking is concerned (I still did my 8.5 mile round trip commute with no symptoms). If I feel it again again I do a serious ride tomorrow, I'm going to ask about it.
Old 05-28-05, 09:03 AM
Omega Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
You might try some of the dietary supplements like glucosamine/condroitin/msm. Might be my imagination (don't think so), but it seems to have helped my knees.
Me too. But my physio told me that it's the chondroitin that does the good - glucosamine by itself doesn't do much, apparently.

But see a doctor too.
Old 05-28-05, 09:47 AM
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A dr's opinion is always worthwhile. Except when they advocate knee surgery. That can do more harm than good.

Sometimes overbuilt quad muscles/underworked hamstrings cause knee pain. Be sure you stretch your hamstrings.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 05-28-05, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by *new*guy
Are you a F/T commuter? Is that why you don't want to rest it?

How long on the bike before the pain goes away?

I'm not a full time commuter, but I do commute 2 or 3 times per week. I just love to ride, and I don't want to stop but I guess there is no choice at this point. When I'm on the bike the knee feels fine. It's just so damn strange. Moral of the story might be NEVER get off the bike???
Old 05-28-05, 05:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
Yes, I've been trying that, but don't see any difference yet. Maybe it just takes as while.
Old 05-28-05, 06:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive got a torn MCL and ACL and I as well as my doc are trying to avoid surgery at all cost...as of Friday he said to come back with some upper leg growth (my calves are already huge) from cycling, lunges, leg curls and leg extensions in two months and he said as long as I keep a routine up and stretch that hes pretty sure I will be able to get by without surgery or knee braces besides while im racing or doing my low impact activites like raquet ball.
Old 05-29-05, 03:45 AM
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my knees got bad a while back, I resolved it by doing medium-heavy squats in the gym. The loadbearing exercise, once a week, balanced out and strengthened my knee joints a treat. Approach with caution, but I'd recommend it.
Old 05-29-05, 09:57 AM
Rubber Side Down

Bikes: 2005 Felt B2 TT Bike, 2005 Trek 2100, 2001 Fuji Finest AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the exact same problem. After doing a century yesterday, it is incredibly painful to straighten or bend my knee. It hurts at exactly the same spot you described, the medial part of my left knee. When I have my knee totally straight, the pain is in between the knee cap and bony bump right below the vastus medialis (inside quad muscle). I too have speedplay pedals with over 30 degrees of float. I've talked to a family friend and he thinks it might be a tracking problem due to muscle imbalances and/or poor pedal mechanics.
Old 05-30-05, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.mortonsfoot.com/pickingrightpci.html

Maybe this link can help you.I tried glucosamine for 2 months,but ıt doesn't seems that it is helpfull
Old 05-30-05, 08:53 AM
King of the Forest

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started riding, I had knee pain, but it got better with MORE riding. Just take it easy and if it becomes painful DURING the ride, stop or ease up. Also try to avoid big hills if you can. These are just my experiences. Yours may be different, depending on the cause. Good luck.
Old 06-04-05, 08:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your KOPS is correct you maybe not warmed up sufficiently.And remember,
High cadence is quite an effort on your knees.