Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

helmet light for Giro Atmos?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody know of a light that could attach to a Giro Atmos? The design is such that there's not enough room for certain attachments.

(I'm actually a speed skater, but this is a popular cycling helmet, I guess.)
Old 05-28-05, 04:04 PM
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Skater-welcome.

I've attached a Petzl MYO XP to my Giro Pneumo. The rear "vents" of that hemlet keep the lamps strap in place, and I use 2 "zip" ties on either side of the lamp portion to keep it stable. No problems with it "flopping" about or anything on a 300K ride last weekend.

The "zip" ties I use are very low break strength-just in case I happen to have an incident involving gravity (and my head). The lamp will break away. Now I have no idea if this voids my helmets safety rating or not-but having the lamp there in the first place offers a lot of "being seen" protection. This gives me the ability to point it directly at drivers eyes when I can't be sure that they have seen me-folks who may have attempted to turn in front of me in paticular.

I just took a look at my Atmos, and my lamp will easily fit with a similar setup (zip tied in front). One way to make "break away" zip ties, if you can't get any low strength ones, is to cut a small notch or slice part way through the zip tie once attached. This will take trial & error, but worth it from an added safety perspective. Should you go down (stressing "should")-you'd want anything attached to your helmet to come off--and away from your face.

I also have a Planet Bike sport spot 4 LED (in blink mode)-attached just above the Petzl Myo--as a passive "be seen" light. This light has a small strap that wraps between & around vents, but the light itself attaches to the strap with a plastic "quick/slide" release. This lamp is an excellent one "to be seen", but not enough light to see with.--I picked it up on closeout for a third the price listed at REI.COM (seems there all out). This model also can be mounted on your bike. I had this light mounted to my handlebar, in steady mode, to meet the legal requirement (a white light must be mounted to the bike)-on last weekends ride.

--You might get other (better) headlamp ideas by moving this thread, say to advocacy&safety-or perhaps even to the Commuting forum.

[EDIT] Added pictures of my setup (on my Pneumo), with and without my rain cover-and with the MYO XP on in daylight (camera flash used):

Last edited by Camel; 05-28-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-12-05, 06:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry it took so long to respond...I'd lost the link to the forum, lol.

That PETZL thing's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton.

On a side note, you've really accessorized your helmet!
Old 06-12-05, 06:50 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Or you can get a cateye el-400. It's designed to strap to a helmet vent and is adjustable.
Old 06-12-05, 09:55 AM
Ready to go anywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Petzl Myobelt 5 a while ago. The biggest advantages with this helmet, for me, is:
  • Combined led/halogen light.
  • No batteries on the head.
  • It uses C-size batteries, giving over 10 hours halogen light or 200+ hours led light.

The halogen light is probably overkill on roads with street lights, and I'm not sure how much light the halogen lamp gives on its own since I always run it together with a hub dynamo powered Lumotec light.

Some pictures I took when I first got it:
Old 06-12-05, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
I just got an Atmos yesterday and will be mounting my NiteRider on it.
Old 06-13-05, 02:53 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by skater
Does anybody know of a light that could attach to a Giro Atmos? The design is such that there's not enough room for certain attachments.

(I'm actually a speed skater, but this is a popular cycling helmet, I guess.)
There are many types and brands of lights that go onto helmets. What do you want to use the light for?

To see where you are going? So you can be seen from the front? So you can be seen from the rear?
All of this?