Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

whats a good bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats a good bike?

hi, im getting into racing, and am wondering whats an inexpensive bike that will still let me stay competitive? i currently am using an old road bike for training until i get my new one. when i go to stores tomorrow.. what should i look for?
Old 05-29-05, 04:34 PM

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road bikes that you could race on cost anything from $500 to $15,000, where are you, what do you want to do with the bike, what can you afford, how serious are you? How old are you? Competitive has nothing to do with your bike, it's what's in the legs and the heart that matters !!
Old 05-30-05, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im in Latham, NY, and im 16, i love riding and i def. dont wanna spend 15,000 dollars lol my price range is probablly from 0-800 dollars... i plan on doing the races around here, maybe travel to philly for some races and stuff. im used to traveling because im a rower and i go all over to compete... but any tips on what i should look for when i go looking today would be great!
Old 05-30-05, 08:16 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Well everyone will say fit is of the most improtance...and it is...on your first bike you should buy local to get the fit part right. For $800 see if they have any left over 04 models in your size as this will get you more bike for your money. As for 05 bikes you should be able to get a Specialized Allez Sport for around $800 (they retail for $900). Or a Giant OCR2 retails for $800 and the TCR2 for $1100 (according to the web site but it has the same components so maybe it is really a little less?). Used will get you a little bit more for your money but if you don't know what fits properly it could cost you in the long run. Don't forget to budget fo things like water bottles and cages, pedals, shoes, helmet, shorts, jersey (blank if you are racing and not with a club), gloves....the extras really add up.
Old 05-30-05, 04:39 PM
Coastal NC

Bikes: 2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just added a Trek 1200 to my collection. I upgraded the wheels and brakes....so with the upgrades(Bontrager Race Lite wheels, Ultegra pedals, and 105 brake set)...I would feel fairly confident to put this bike in a crit or road race. It came stock with a carbon fork, carbon seat post, clipless pedals, and 105/Tiagra 9 speed drivetrain. It has a fairly light butted aluminum frame and shifting that is integrated into the brake levers. These upgraded Bontrager wheels are actually very race worthy! You may want to start with a bike like the Trek 1200 or some of the others that have been mentioned above. Then simply upgrade it one piece at a time whenever you can afford to do so. Meanwhile you will be able to train and race as you go along. The bike can grow with you. Eventually you might find a friend or someone on ebay selling their used racing componentry at fire sale prices. I know a buddy whom stripped off his 105 components and replaced them with a used Dura Ace groupset which he purchased off a buddy at a really good price. In my opinion...the first crucial upgrade will be a racing wheel set. You should be able to get this done for 200 bucks or a little more if you really check around. You don't have to do this right away though. Get some quality miles on the stock wheelset first. Once you are fit and fast and competitive in the races...then you'll know it's time for a set of Bontragers or Ksyriums or similar race quality wheelset.

Don't forget to consider the 'used bike' option as well. Do your homework.

I just think it is important to get started....so get a decent bike that you can afford and hit the road. Start with a good frame though....because if it came to the point where you need to upgrade the frame then you simply should not have bought it in the first place. In my opinion...a quality butted aluminum frame will get you riding and racing sooner and at a better price.

As someone mentioned above...don't forget to budget for accessories. Bottle cages, computer, jersey, shorts, pumps, tubes, water bottles, etc. If you are on a budget you might consider getting this stuff online from Performance or Nashbar. Buy the generic store brands. You don't need 100 dollar Oakley shades or a 60 dollar carbon bottle cage.

Last edited by oneradtec; 05-30-05 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-31-05, 06:29 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
One should also tell you to check out the under $700 road bike thread in the main road bike forum.