Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you ride in the rain?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you ride in the rain?

Old 04-02-17, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I will often ride in the rain but I don't ever feel guilty for driving either.

Unlike most on here riding road or touring bikes and dressing in all kinds of kit, for transportation I ride an upright city bike (as is common outside the U.S.). It has good fenders, fully enclosed chaincase, and skirt guards so no spray or road gook on me or my clothes. All of the gears and brakes are internal so work as well in rain or snow as in sunny dry weather. It's also quite easy to carry an umbrella so even without wearing rain gear I stay quite dry (knees sometimes excepted) in light rain.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 04-02-17 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-02-17, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
More here: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/tag/rain/

Old 04-03-17, 05:00 PM

Bikes: GMC Denali, Giant Revel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got caught in some real monsoons in Korea, but that was on a weekend.

I commute in the rain here, but it's only 2 miles and I use wet weather pants and a jacket outer layer.
Old 04-03-17, 09:46 PM

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I love riding in the rain. Then again, I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I wouldn't do much commuting if I didn't. Still, I wouldn't really call myself a "commuter " if I only did it when the weather cooperated. In my opinion, a "commuter" rides except in extenuating circumstances.
Riding in the rain is no big deal once you just do it. You don't need to buy bike-specific rain gear, just get cheap stuff or scrounge thrift stores. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-04-17, 06:57 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
When shopping for gear, I would advise caution if you investigate ponchos. Many people swear by them, but I bought one and wore it once. It turned out to be a fantastic sail for catching the wind and trying to throw me in front of traffic. My route is a lot of rural/open areas with high speed traffic. Even if there's no wind, a passing semi generates a suction that's a lot more fierce with a big sail wrapped around you.
Old 04-04-17, 07:16 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Ponchos would probably be okay if you rode really slowing, like on an upright bike. Being upright already presents a large surface for the wind, so what's a little bit more? I guess you could always carry an umbrella if you're riding slow enough.
Old 04-05-17, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I added a bike rain poncho/cape last year and have enjoyed using it on heavy rain days. It provides more shelter and comfort than my jackets. I didn't know it existed before I saw it at a charity silent auction. Mine is a Cleverhood rain cape.
Old 04-06-17, 04:43 AM
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
Agreed. I have lots of merino wool base & mid-layers, and it's very comfortable when wet, although a bit heavier. I have a Gore-Tex Active outer shell, but I still sweat when wearing it. I've yet to find any waterproof that keeps you dry from inside when exericsing, so having a comfy base layer is really importnat.
I agree totally. Wool is my go-to fabric and when it comes to sports or activities in which you're, well, active there's no such thing as rain gear that breathes well enough to prevent sweating. Sure Gore-Tex is better than PVC coated nylon but only when you're doing something like fishing and aren't really exerting yourself (I'm sure that opened a can of worms and I'll get responses from 'extreme fisherman' who have a slew of slickly edited videos set to the gnarliest dubstep).

However I've found that you can reduce the amount of sweat and increase the comfort level to an extent by wearing rain gear that protects you from the rain yet allows your base layer to breathe and evaporate sweat which is why I wear rain capes. Sure they suck in high winds but as with other things in life you just grin and bear it which is fine with me because I still get to ride my bike.

Also, something that gets overlooked quite a bit is the front fender. Very few of them extend low enough to prevent splashing water onto the feet and extenders are a must have. My feet rarely get soaked.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 04-06-17 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Also, something that gets overlooked quite a bit is the front fender. Very few of them extend low enough to prevent splashing water onto the feet and extenders are a must have. My feet rarely get soaked.
Is that a DIY mudflap? What material did you use? I used a cut-out piece of a mouse pad, works okay, but could be wider.

IMG_0435.jpg
Old 04-06-17, 09:35 AM

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Count me as another who likes riding in the rain. I won't ride when there's lightning, but water wont' melt me. Hasn't yet. Cold and snow I like too. I don't like riding in 85F plus, but I do it.
Old 04-06-17, 10:20 AM
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
mcours2006, I just hastily nabbed that image off the 'net. I cut my own from a swatch of stout leather or heavy waxed cotton duct but those dimensions are about right. I've tried rawhide (as in a dog's chew 'bone') but I could never quite get it to soften enough without putting too much effort into it.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 04-06-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-24-17, 09:32 PM

Bikes: 2014 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in the rain all the time, but I live in Seattle so it's pretty much required. My work provides a shower and dry towels, or else I'd have to reconsider. I use an Ortlieb office bag for my work clothes, lunch and laptop. It's still waterproof after three years, so no worries about that stuff. I use hard-sole wet suit booties and wet suit gloves, along with a Garneau rain jacket. Everything else I wear is synthetics and dries out enough by the time I need to ride home. I have a little pack attached to my rear rack that I can put the rain stuff in if it stops raining. As others have mentioned, lights are essential and wider tires are a big plus. I kind of like the rain because it cuts down on the number of bozos on the bike trail.
Old 05-25-17, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Yep, I commute in the rain. Forecasting moderate rain today, 20C which is ok but 30 km/h head wind with 50 km/h gust. Commute back home will be a pain.
Old 05-25-17, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Love riding in the rain.. it's a bonus if it's a real storm! Last week was a down pour so took my shirt off and rode home. Felt awesome! Now when it's cold out and rain that really sucks. But after you've rode in the rain to work the rest of the day seems like a piece of cake!
Old 05-25-17, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by esmith2039
Last week was a down pour so took my shirt off and rode home.
Tried to convince the college girls down the street from me that that's the way to ride in summer storms, but I don't think they bought it. Waiting for a warm rain and hoping for the breastsbest.
Old 05-25-17, 12:21 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
This morning, it was raining and blowing hard. I said no thanks. I have a long commute.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-25-17, 01:01 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
when I bike commuted, bad weather made the rides more interesting. it took me a while to get on board with it, but then I embraced it joyfully. now, riding in bad weather is a rare pleasure

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-25-17 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-26-17, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in the rain but my commute is only a few miles -- in bike lanes on one-lane city streets with 25 mph speed limits. A Sugoi "Zap Pack Cover" keeps my backpack dry (surprisingly so, even in strong downpours) and ziplock bags are extra insurance for phones and i-Pad. A Sugoi Zap Helmet Cover keeps my head dry and Gore-Tex jacket and rain pants round out the rain preps.

I've been looking at getting fenders but haven't decided on that yet.

There's a lot more room on the bike racks on rainy days!
Old 05-26-17, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
I like the rain because it empties the street of other bicycles and I can relax and enjoy my own pace. Being comfortable in the rain is about choosing layers with care. I agree with others that a merino wool base layer is essential.
Old 05-27-17, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Talking about strictly commuting, yes to in the rain. I don't choose to go out for longer training or recreation in more than light rain - because I want to fully enjoy those longer rides.

I don't want to make light of it, because I well remember the initial efforts I put into dealing with commuting through rain. But to be honest, part of it is a mental perspective, once you're confident in any of several was to handle it. This time of year, as long as my shoes don't get soaked and I can keep stinging rain away from my eyes, I simply don't care. Other conditions, mainly colder, need other measures but once you've handled it, it's not the big deal it once was.
Old 05-27-17, 09:37 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I like the rain because it empties the street of other bicycles and I can relax and enjoy my own pace. Being comfortable in the rain is about choosing layers with care. I agree with others that a merino wool base layer is essential.
I enjoy my own riding pace, rain or shine,regardless of the presence of other bicyclists, why can't you ride at your preferred pace in the presence of other cyclists?

FWIW, I never had any problem in 40 years of bike commuting in the rain and never wore a merino wool base layer.
Old 05-27-17, 09:53 AM

I'd take a light drizzle or even steady light rain over a 50 km/h headwind or side wind any day of the week.
Old 05-27-17, 03:51 PM

Commuting in the rain isn't bad but cleaning the bike after sucks.
Old 05-27-17, 04:15 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Commuting in the rain isn't bad but cleaning the bike after sucks.
I just skip that. Last time I cleaned my bike was 2012.
Old 05-27-17, 06:15 PM

The bike I bought was a 2012 TCX 2 and I believed it was never cleaned. All the gunks in the gears was incredible. If you were from Ottawa, I would have asked if I bought the bike from you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.