Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Finding it hard to lose more weight - burn more calories or stricter diet?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Finding it hard to lose more weight - burn more calories or stricter diet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 03:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You lose fat with a calorie deficit.

You looses a lot more then just weight with a calorie deficit and starvation dieting: you loose muscle, you loose strength, you loose athletic performance, you compromise recovery ability after exercise and you screw up your metabolism and end up getting overweight...If fat loss is all about calorie deficit as you say, than why are there thousands of people out there who struggle to loose fat even after being in calorie deficit and practising all kind of crash diets.
Old 04-03-17, 03:21 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If find it both funny and sad that in discussions about fat/weight loss people always seem to end up arguing about false dichotomies. The most effective approach is not just diet, nor is it just steady state cardio, or HIIT or weight-training. The most effective approach is all of the above.
Old 04-03-17, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You looses a lot more then just weight with a calorie deficit and starvation dieting: you loose muscle, you loose strength, you loose athletic performance, you compromise recovery ability after exercise and you screw up your metabolism and end up getting overweight...
Yes. This is true. It's unfortunate, but that doesn't make it not true. Of course, you can make the situation less bad even if you can't make it go away entirely. (Eat a protein rich diet and lift weights while you lose.)

If fat loss is all about calorie deficit as you say, than why are there thousands of people out there who struggle to loose fat even after being in calorie deficit and practising all kind of crash diets.
Well that's a broad brush kind of question. We'd have to talk to some of these individuals to find out what's really going on:

* I heard about a lady who got fat eating X calories a day. She drank a bottle of wine every evening and didn't realize that it has calories.
* I've heard of lots of people who think they're burning 1,500 calories an hour on the bike.
* Lots of people lose weight on an unsustainable crash diet, then gain it back when they stop.
* Etc.
Old 04-03-17, 03:43 PM

@wolfchild

An option for people who are at their goal weight but not their ideal body composition is to eat at maintenance levels (eg the same number of calories that you burn in a day, such that your weight doesn't change) and follow a progressive resistance program. This will build muscle and lose fat - but not quickly. The process is slow and best suited for those who are overfat at their ideal weight.
Old 04-03-17, 03:47 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Loose (adjective) = opposite of tight
Lose (verb) = opposite of gain
They are pronounced differently, too.

It's a common spelling error.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-17, 04:54 PM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in a similar boat as you (5'9", 156lbs). I weighed 165 after the holidays, and lost 10 lbs mostly fat, while increasing leg strength, in about 6 weeks after new year's.
1. 20- minute Hiit sessions on an indoor bike twice a week. This one: https://youtu.be/08f0qFwtuf0
2. Twice a week "weight" training (mostly push-ups, planks, lunges, air-squats, pull-ups, and other body-weight stuff).
3. Just trying to eat whole foods, with no sugar splurges.

Hiit works by raising your metabolism even when you aren't working out. Weight training raises your metabolism because muscle burns calories just by existing. I refuse to count calories, too much work. Just find filling snacks that are good for you. I have no doubt I could easily get down to 150 or below if I did this same thing with a bit more frequency and eating discipline.

(Also, I have the advantage of having pretty large legs from 17 years of playing soccer) so my 156lbs makes me look fairly skinny for a 36 yr old...155 was my high school soccer weight.)

Last edited by 12strings; 04-03-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 04:56 PM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@wolfchild

An option for people who are at their goal weight but not their ideal body composition is to eat at maintenance levels (eg the same number of calories that you burn in a day, such that your weight doesn't change) and follow a progressive resistance program. This will build muscle and lose fat - but not quickly. The process is slow and best suited for those who are overfat at their ideal weight.
This is good advice. I would just add that for someone who wanted to speed the process...doing both Hiit and weights will really transform your body.

Just alternate days, so you aren't totally exhausted when you start to lift weights, or don't have tired muscles when you are trying to do a fast high intensity workout.
Old 04-03-17, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2

But is your goal to be lighter on the scale, be leaner or become a stronger cyclist? A lot of times those goals can be mutually exclusive.
Mostly to become a stronger cyclist, and fitter / leaner in general. I'm not overly concerned with actual weight as long as the total amount of fat is lower, and muscle mass is increased.

It's not that you want to lose weight. You want to lose fat. I mean, you could amputate your arm, you'd weigh less and have an instant boost to your VO2max, but that isn't what you want.

You lose fat with a calorie deficit. You don't do it by "shocking your body," or "jump starting your metabolism" or with a "detox" or "cleanse" or "eating clean" or being a vegetarian or paleo or keto eater or anything else except burning more calories than you eat. Just regular, old fashioned portion control. Eat the amount of food your grand parents ate.
Exactly. I want less fat & more muscle. Have a better power to weight ratio is good for cycling too, of course, so I'm not looking to "bulk up" - just add lean muscle.

Good advice on diet. I'm not on any fad diets - just trying to reduce overall calories to a suitable level for my activity and take care of what I eat.
Old 04-03-17, 05:04 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
5'10", 158 and want to lose fat?

Why? What are your goals?
Lose the excess belly & butt fat, develop more strength everywhere, improve body posture and increase endurance.
Old 04-03-17, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johngwheeler
Mostly to become a stronger cyclist, and fitter / leaner in general. I'm not overly concerned with actual weight as long as the total amount of fat is lower, and muscle mass is increased.

Exactly. I want less fat & more muscle. Have a better power to weight ratio is good for cycling too, of course, so I'm not looking to "bulk up" - just add lean muscle.

Start lifting weights and doing strength training. Don't worry about getting too big. It's very difficult to get too big from lifting when riding a bike a lot.
Old 04-03-17, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few other things to throw out is that it's possible to consume too few calories, and the calorie deficit can actually throw your body into starvation mode which will affect your ability to get leaner. Also, your body adjusts to routine, so as you get used to what you're doing, it takes less effort and energy to do it so you get less net effect. Changing up your routine will help. I would recommend talking to a certified nutritionist or trainer to help you achieve your specific goals.
Old 04-03-17, 05:32 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
If find it both funny and sad that in discussions about fat/weight loss people always seem to end up arguing about false dichotomies. The most effective approach is not just diet, nor is it just steady state cardio, or HIIT or weight-training. The most effective approach is all of the above.
Amen to that!

A couple of years ago, I realised that I was overweight and researched intermittent fasting, following the 5:2 diet made popular by Michael Moseley (who now makes a lot of health-related TV documentaries, most of which are quite interesting and well researched). I lost a fair bit of weight (c. 9kg), but wasn't really getting any stronger.

I found that combination of different modes of exercise with some knowledge of nutrition, combined with changes to my diet yielded the best results.

Do I do this consistently? No, not really! But at least I have a set of goals that I aim towards.
Old 04-03-17, 05:42 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyk76
A few other things to throw out is that it's possible to consume too few calories, and the calorie deficit can actually throw your body into starvation mode which will affect your ability to get leaner. Also, your body adjusts to routine, so as you get used to what you're doing, it takes less effort and energy to do it so you get less net effect. Changing up your routine will help. I would recommend talking to a certified nutritionist or trainer to help you achieve your specific goals.
Yes, I am aware of that, and it was one of my major concerns with Intermittent Fasting, which I no longer do (my wife tells me that it made me really grumpy too!). I am also wary of the possibility of starting to burn muscle for protein, but my understanding is that this is only likely to happen after a prolonged fast (>36 hours?), or if exercising past the point of glycogen depletion.

It's a fascinating area of study, and it's surprising that there is still so much dissent about how the body actually works! More science is needed, and less "woo".
Old 04-03-17, 05:46 PM
Banned

HIIT is a terrible way to try to lose fat.

......and yet many people are doing HIIT and getting positive results from it, not only in their body composition but also in performance...I know HIIT is not for everybody, many people just don't like putting themselves through 4 minutes or 10 minutes of hell... HIIT is a great option for people who don't have time to do endless bouts of steady state cardio.

Interval Training: Scientists Explain Why It Works | Time.com
Old 04-10-17, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts

Good advice on diet. I'm not on any fad diets - just trying to reduce overall calories to a suitable level for my activity and take care of what I eat.
I wouldn't worry about this at all. It's really difficult to add a lot of muscle to one's frame. It would kind of be the equivalent of a bodybuilder responding "I don't want to turn into a skinny Tour de France rider" if you suggested they do cardio a few times a week (note: bodybuilders actually do cardio, but it makes for a good example). Adding substantial amounts of muscle takes a caloric surplus plus a lot of time (years) and effort.
Old 04-10-17, 07:39 AM

......and yet many people are doing HIIT and getting positive results from it, not only in their body composition but also in performance...I know HIIT is not for everybody, many people just don't like putting themselves through 4 minutes or 10 minutes of hell... HIIT is a great option for people who don't have time to do endless bouts of steady state cardio.

Interval Training: Scientists Explain Why It Works | Time.com
To further your point, I'm reminded about a guy named Eric Helms who is a well respected strength coach. He did a series on what he describes as the "Muscle and Strength Pyramid" posted here:

Of note (and what is relevant to this discussion) is that the base of the pyramid is "Adherence". Doing something that you enjoy/fits your lifestyle and schedule is probably 80% of it. This applies to both exercise choice and diet strategy. If you enjoy HIIT or that's all that really fits your schedule, then it's a great choice for fat loss.
Old 04-20-17, 11:20 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Loose (adjective) = opposite of tight
Lose (verb) = opposite of gain
They are pronounced differently, too.

It's a common spelling error.
I think he speaks Canadian, eh?
Old 04-21-17, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Hey, johngwheeler, now you are in the dog house for non-disclosure of your bike purchase to your wife, you might find those pounds falling off pretty rapidly. Chewing on a bone for dinner is just the ticket and you won't even have to ride the bike!

For those not in the know, here is his other thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...w-placate.html
Old 04-21-17, 08:07 AM

True. I don't have a lot of upper body muscle at all! My legs are lot stronger after a couple months of cycling, but it doesn't do much for my arms. Perhaps I should carry my bike more than ride it :-)

John
Compared with weight lifting, long distance cycling doesn't build much leg mass either. It's likely a good thing for you to add (but make sure you train your legs too - that's were ~ 70% of your muscle mass is). This is good for not only losing fat but for general health.

Having said that, diet is probably 80% of weight loss. That's likely the best place for you to start... especially since you haven't made any modifications to that yet.
Old 04-21-17, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest
HIIT is a terrible way to try to lose fat.
......and yet many people are doing HIIT and getting positive results from it, not only in their body composition but also in performance...
I said HIIT is a bad way to lose fat. When you respond and say it can make you sprint faster on the bike, you're not refuting me.

HIIT is good for training purposes. I do it in the form of hill repeats every Tuesday afternoon. Because it helps with fitness. Which is a different thing than losing weight.
Old 04-21-17, 10:57 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I just learned a lot about obesity listening to this podcast. It's more difficult than I had thought.

Rachel Batterham - gut reactions to obesity

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-17, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
based on your numbers you are hardly overweight so i am assuming your worry about the extra fluff is due to appearances. The responses give plenty of good advise, but we do not know about your overall health. If your numbers are good and there are no heart problems, or recurring illnesses, perhaps the healthy thing is to focus on your overall health. If you get too thin you may be prone to more issues due to the over training, as a result of either nutritional deficiencies, or a weakened immune system, or repetitive stress injuries.
I went after it like a mad man back in the early 2000's trained 6 days a week, lost over 50lbs, was healthier than I ever was and that was at 40. Then I started to focus on my appearance bigger muscles, visible abs, etc... That resulted in me getting injured more than once. I trained through the injuries until I could no longer train. It has taken years to be able to get back into training. So Don't Worry BE Happy!
Old 04-28-17, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's always better to burn more calories than cut consumption.
Old 05-09-17, 04:29 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
This!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-09-17, 05:00 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Just to throw in a different point of view . . . I've given up on getting rid of that last bit of fat. Fat is actually an important part of metabolism. Fat cells generate hormones and help keep us stable. Which maybe is the reason that those who get their bodyfat down really low have so much trouble keeping it there. As bodyfat percentage goes down, the cost of getting it lower keeps increasing.

My solution is simply to have fun trying to increase power, and the heck with getting racer thin. No one's paying me to do this. Once one gets down to the OP's weight, it's easier to increase power and hold the same weight than to lose weight and keep the same power. 5% power increase is totally doable. 5% weight loss gets pretty iffy.

So my advice is to pursue power. Stay weight conscious and don't let it climb, but don't obsess over it. Many commenters here advocate basically doing stuff on the bike which will increase power. If that helps fat loss, fine, otherwise just climb like an animal.

Create a strong annual training plan and stick with it. You'll be faster next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.