Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Tubeless on Tandems

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Road Tubeless on Tandems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 08:44 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Road Tubeless on Tandems

Anyone riding road tubeless on their tandem?

If so, what tires, rims?

And how is it working out?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-20-17, 10:36 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

I guess the answer is no.

I love tubeless on my MTB.

Our new Co-Motion Java will have Velocity Cliff Hanger rims which are reportedly tubeless compatible, so I think we'll try it there.

But I was really more interested in Tubeless on Road tandems. Guess, the selection of rims that are 1) tubeless compatible, and 2) suitable for a tandem may be a limiting factor.
Old 04-20-17, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've never tried tubeless on any of my bikes. Fellow MTBers seem to like them to be able to run lower pressures off-road. As with most everything else, there must be advantages & disadvantages - especially w/r to road riding. What are they?
Old 04-20-17, 11:51 AM

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We are running tubeless on our new adventure tandem but don't have enough experience to give an opinion. We run tubeless on our fat tire and mtn tandems without issues and same on our singles. I have stayed away from tubeless on our normal tandem as we travel with it extensively and take the tires off so the rims fit in the cases better and tubeless could be a big mess.
Old 04-20-17, 11:58 AM

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seems like tubeless could be lighter than tube tires and able to seal small punctures. However, if one did need to do a road repair, could be messier. True?
Old 04-20-17, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been using tubeless now for over a year and a half with out any problem, using orange seal sealant. Using Schwable 700/25 pro one tubeless with out any problems. Tubeless wheelset are Hed Belgium plus with 28 hole W.I.hubs, DT aero comp, 2nd set Enve SES 5.6 with DT 240 hubs, DT aero comp spokes with no problems, the ride is smooth and fast. It's all about if you want to commit to a tubeless set up and just a little bit more of your time and what tubeless brings with it!

Last edited by Bad1; 04-20-17 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 03:43 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm using Schwalbe S-One 700x30 with Velocity A23 rims on my adventure bike These measure out to almost 32mm wide.

I set it up tubeless on Velocity A23 rim. The tire was eventually easy to install tubeless with a standard floor pump. I did pre-fit the tire using a tube and let it take shape at 80psi for 48 hours. This allowed the tire to seat quickly and hold air with 30 ml of sealant.

The Schwalbe S-One is lightweight and very fast rolling. The S-One helped me maintain the same kind of speeds I produce on my road bike with 700x25 Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. At 80 psi rear, 70psi front, The Schwalbe is not as plush as an open tubular tires, but it rode more smoothly than 700x25 Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. I'm sure it becomes super plush at 20% lower air pressures, I'll experiment with the air pressure in the future.

The S-One is 31.7mm wide after a week of inflation at 80psi. The micro-dot texture and compound provides super high levels of traction on pavement. The tire is wide enough for all the firm gravel near my home in Illinois.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-20-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 09:12 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm using Schwalbe S-One 700x30 with Velocity A23 rims on my adventure bike These measure out to almost 32mm wide.

I set it up tubeless on Velocity A23 rim. The tire was eventually easy to install tubeless with a standard floor pump. I did pre-fit the tire using a tube and let it take shape at 80psi for 48 hours. This allowed the tire to seat quickly and hold air with 30 ml of sealant.

The Schwalbe S-One is lightweight and very fast rolling. The S-One helped me maintain the same kind of speeds I produce on my road bike with 700x25 Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. At 80 psi rear, 70psi front, The Schwalbe is not as plush as an open tubular tires, but it rode more smoothly than 700x25 Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. I'm sure it becomes super plush at 20% lower air pressures, I'll experiment with the air pressure in the future.

The S-One is 31.7mm wide after a week of inflation at 80psi. The micro-dot texture and compound provides super high levels of traction on pavement. The tire is wide enough for all the firm gravel near my home in Illinois.

So are you talking about a single bike like your "adventure bike" sounds like it if so your in the wrong thread "Road Tubeless on Tandems" is the subject. What you are referencing has no object use concerning tandem usage. The S ones would get chewed up on a tandem and are not suited to serve you well.
There is no way a clincher rides as well as a tubeless tire set up properly. As far as a standard floor pump inflating a 700/25 or 700/28 tubeless it's not going to happening no matter how fast and hard you stroke it, as far a having a set take hold on the tape with a tube in the tire no more than 45 minutes is enough.
Old 04-21-17, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I accidentally purchased a pair of 700 X 28 Schwalbe ONE tubeless tires thinking they were the standard ONE tires. Since I had them and the tandem needed a new rear tire I installed it on the rear wheel (HED3), all I had to do was add the new tubeless stem. The tire installed very easily and a CO2 cartridge filled it on the first attempt. It is holding air extremely well.

Running 80psi in the rear and 100psi in the front (700 X 25) tube type Schwalbe ONE, the ride is more comfortable than before, it is actually noticeably different. The ride is so much improved that I have ordered 2 more of the 700 X 28 Schwalbe Tubeless ONE tires.

310 pound team, Calfee Tetra.

Wayne
Old 04-21-17, 09:56 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dub T be careful using tubeless tires on non tubeless rims, I've previously have talked to Hed & Enve on this subject, both of there replies were you could get away with it on a single bike but on the tandem you are rolling the dice and risking that a tire could possibly roll off, with the extra weight and forces that are in play.
Old 04-22-17, 05:44 AM

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We're using Schwalbe Supreme on Blunt 35 rims with Stans Race Sealant. I find the race sealant works better on my Seven using Hed Belgiums and Schalbe Pro one tyres. No problems so far in about 2000kms for the tandem and they roll really well
Old 04-22-17, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bad1
Dub T be careful using tubeless tires on non tubeless rims, I've previously have talked to Hed & Enve on this subject, both of there replies were you could get away with it on a single bike but on the tandem you are rolling the dice and risking that a tire could possibly roll off, with the extra weight and forces that are in play.
Thanks for the input!
Old 04-22-17, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running tubeless Schwalbe Pro One on both my road bike and tandem. with no issues. But both rim sets are tubeless ready rims.

I'm fascinated by the statement that the tire could roll off the rim. How is having a tube in a clincher going to hold it on the rim in any different way to a tubeless tyre which invariably is tighter on the rim anyway?
Old 04-22-17, 02:00 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by racefacelefty
I'm running tubeless Schwalbe Pro One on both my road bike and tandem. with no issues. But both rim sets are tubeless ready rims.

I'm fascinated by the statement that the tire could roll off the rim. How is having a tube in a clincher going to hold it on the rim in any different way to a tubeless tyre which invariably is tighter on the rim anyway?
Tubeless rims have a different 90 degree lip to secure the tubeless tire to which also has the same designed to accommodate the rim, where a regular rim is lacking that secure snap that you get when a tubeless tires is correctly installed.
Old 04-22-17, 02:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubeless rims have a different 90 degree lip to secure the tubeless tire to where a regular rim is lacking that secure snap that you get when a tubeless tires is correctly installed.
I found with tubeless on a standard rim I got the snap anyway. And with sealant installed removing the tyre when deflated required a deliberate effort to loosen the tyre bead from the rim.

I do wonder how much of the 'do not use' is marketing rather than an actual safety issue.

I would definitely not attempt to convert tubed tyres to tubeless use though, whether the rim in tubeless or not. I think the safety is from the tyre, not so much the rim.
Old 04-24-17, 10:02 AM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by racefacelefty

What rims are you using on the tandem?
Old 04-24-17, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
What rims are you using on the tandem?
I built a set of light bicycle 55mm tubeless ready (with tape) rims.
Old 04-26-17, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Warning to all Schwalbe tubeless tandem tire users....you're probably exceeding the manufacturer's load limit and are risking your wellbeing! I have thousands of miles on Schwalbe One and One Pro 25/28mm tires on my single road and gravel bikes and have nothing but praise for their comfortable ride and low rolling resistance. However, I strongly recommend that you follow Schwalbe's Pro One 28mm "Maximum Load" recommendation of 75kg per tire. (That's 330lbs for your team, tandem, water bottles, etc.) the 25mm have a 70/kg limit and I am pretty sure the first gen Schwalbe One's 28mm tires have a 70kg/308lb limit. I don't think this older tire is on their website.

I learned about this load limit the hard way.....had a rear tire sidewall failure while decending on my tandem at +45mph. Ugly, ugly wreck....smashed tandem, destroyed wheels, surgery, 10 screws & a long titanium plate plate on my clavicle, stoker had compartment syndrome and more. Post crash I called Schwalbe and learned of their per tire load limit and they said they do NOT reccomend tubeless for tandems regardless of weight. Hard to find it on their website so here's a link: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-pro-one.html
Be safe and have fun.

Last edited by Gtmather313; 04-26-17 at 11:49 PM.
Likes For Gtmather313:
Old 04-26-17, 11:41 PM

Bikes: 2017 Santana Ti700

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip Gtmather313.
Old 04-27-17, 02:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtmather313
Warning to all Schwalbe tubeless tandem tire users....
Terrible to read about your accident, hope you recover well.

What weight was your tandem team all up?

How old were your tyres?

While all manufacturers publish weight limits, and I read Schwalbe's prior to this incident, I have always added a bit as I believed them to be conservative to avoid product liability issues. Maybe not and I am wrong.
Old 04-27-17, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Team weight at time of crash: 340 lbs plus 33 lb tandem. Call it 375 lbs total weight. Tires had about 100 miles on them and were ridden with my 13 year old son the previous weekend. When my son was the stoker our total team weight was 320 lbs.
Old 04-28-17, 01:27 PM

I just took the tire off, cleaned it up and installed a tube.
Old 04-28-17, 05:30 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good moves
Old 04-29-17, 12:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtmather313
Team weight at time of crash: 340 lbs plus 33 lb tandem. Call it 375 lbs total weight. Tires had about 100 miles on them and were ridden with my 13 year old son the previous weekend. When my son was the stoker our total team weight was 320 lbs.
It is a serious worry that the manufacturer uses a weight limit excuse on a tire when your total weight is around 170kg spread across 2 tyres with a weight limit of 150kg if 28c was used.

I guess a daily inspection of the tyres and harder pressures is essential. Reduced pressure definitely puts more strain on the sidewall as it flexes more than at high pressure. I run 110psi rear and 100psi front on my 25c.

25c combination with the 55mm carbon rims I have is more comfortable than the DT Swiss rims with 25c tubed Gatorskins were.
Old 04-29-17, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am very sorry of your crash and wish you strength in your recovery.

On Schwalbe tires:

I give credit to Schwalbe for publishing weight limits. I have trouble finding them on other tires. From my very small sample of items purchased, I have had no issues with defects on Schwalbe products vs other manufacturers which I have had issues. In general my feeling is that the brand is more expensive with better quality control than other brands. That said we do not run Schwalbe tires any more but do use Schwalbe tubes which are not cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.