Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Any advice for 1st time Spin Class newbie?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Headed to my local gym for evening session of spin class. The bike come with SPD clips, so I'll be bringing my spare MTB with SPD cleats. Any other advice? Adjusting the spin bike? Wear cycling shorts/riding kit? Thanks.
Old 05-31-05, 03:08 PM
Respect Your Hill

Bikes: 2007 Colnago CLX Carbon, 2 Cannondale R2000Si's (road), 1 Trek (road), 1 Cannondale (Mtn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrive early to set up the bike properly and let the instructor know that you are new to Spinning. Bring a bottle of cold water and a sweat towel.

The instructor should be able to show you how to adjust the tension and teach you the difference between hand positions for 2nd and third (out of the saddle) and then it's up to you how hard you want to work.

My club has 30 spin bikes and it's usually close to full. It's not very often that any participants have been seen wearing fancy cycling jeseys. Maybe bike shorts, but usually just a t-shirt or tank to go with it.

Have fun.
Old 05-31-05, 03:40 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jchen76
Headed to my local gym for evening session of spin class. The bike come with SPD clips, so I'll be bringing my spare MTB with SPD cleats. Any other advice? Adjusting the spin bike? Wear cycling shorts/riding kit? Thanks.
You won't need the whole MTB, probably just your shoes
Old 05-31-05, 04:40 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jchen76
When I was vacationing in Seattle last summer, I decided to take my first (an advanced) spin class. They almost killed me!
Old 05-31-05, 04:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found that cranking the bike up to max (the instructor said to keep turning till the wheel stopped) put WAY too much pressure on my knees. Spin bikes are stationary and cant move under you like your road bike. For me that caused strain on my knees. Since then I just spin faster when she asks for that, I explained to her why and since I sweat more then the rest of the class combined, she knew I was working. =)
Old 05-31-05, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the same thing that I would wear on a trainer ... shoes, socks, bike shorts, light weight shirt and wristbands. Bring plenty of water and several towels (mostly in case you drop one). And learn how to fake cranking the tension up ; )
Old 06-01-05, 04:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you might also bring your HRM if you have one. if its your first class, it might be hard! (depending on how fit you are) so just have fun and get used to how it all works. depending on the scene at your gym, the loud music and the black lights can be a little weird.
Old 06-01-05, 08:59 AM
ney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also find out what the music setup is. In my gym you have to bring your headphones to connect them to a plug hanging from the ceiling (for music and instructor's instructions). Other gyms that I've been to had speakers around the room or at the front of the room.

It's also a good idea to find out what the format of the class is so you can be prepared. A proper spinning class will be either interval, endurance, strength or "race-day hour." Each will have different target heart rates to reach and sustain.
Old 06-01-05, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let the instructor know that this is your first time. Bring water and at least three towels (two for the handle bars and one for your face). Try and get a bike by a fan and away from the speakers (some instructors really crank the music up).

Definitely cycling shorts, but no jersey. A t-shirt will be fine. Show up in full kit and you will never live it down.

It gets easier after the first few times. Remember to have fun.

BR
Old 06-01-05, 04:08 PM
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stay at a challenging and comfortable pace (65 to 75% MHR) for the first 6 classes before you start getting into more heavy intensities. OH yah have fun.
Velocity