Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

must have "gadgets"

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

must have "gadgets"

Old 06-01-05, 03:48 PM

Bikes: Iron Horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
must have "gadgets"

What are the common tools you have layin around for repairs to your bikes. any alternatives to things. I havent ever really worked on bikes, but do alot of auto mechanics and have a few of my own tools and things I have made that work to my benifit. what kind of tools do you have for your bike.

Also, what are those "must have items" that you take to the trail with you or leave in your car as you ride, but want to make sure you have them near for those "moments" when you need them?

such as today, i go for a morning ride, all sidewalk, dont bother flaming, but i get about 6 miles into my ride, and i get a flat. (still havent figured out what happened, it was all concrete) I didn't take my wallet, just an ID in my sock, so I had no money for a taxi or a phone call, or some air, long story short, i walked 6 miles the other way back home. So next time, I know to take some cash.

so what are those must have items?
Old 06-01-05, 03:52 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by imfrank
What are the common tools you have layin around for repairs to your bikes. any alternatives to things. I havent ever really worked on bikes, but do alot of auto mechanics and have a few of my own tools and things I have made that work to my benifit. what kind of tools do you have for your bike.

Also, what are those "must have items" that you take to the trail with you or leave in your car as you ride, but want to make sure you have them near for those "moments" when you need them?

such as today, i go for a morning ride, all sidewalk, dont bother flaming, but i get about 6 miles into my ride, and i get a flat. (still havent figured out what happened, it was all concrete) I didn't take my wallet, just an ID in my sock, so I had no money for a taxi or a phone call, or some air, long story short, i walked 6 miles the other way back home. So next time, I know to take some cash.

Pump, patch kit and extra tube comes to mind Oh, and wallet!

I also always carry a cool tool on whichever bike I'm riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-01-05, 03:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i went to the bike shop and looked at there tools, but i have alot of tools, and didnt know what i need and dont need.

i think im gonna go buy one of those seat bags and put a few bucks in it, and whatever you guys recommend....

cool tool...i think im gonna look that one up.
Old 06-01-05, 04:21 PM
/dev/null

Bikes: Schwinn Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like to work on lots of things. Its very important to have the right tool for the job, otherwise you just end up breaking things.
Old 06-01-05, 05:12 PM
biketilldeath

Bikes: 2005 Norco Aline:D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do a search

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=tools+trail

the tools that some people cary around are enough to fix almost anything on their bike. a bike tool and a adjustable wrench will fix almost anything on my bike.
Old 06-01-05, 06:12 PM

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You'll want a set of _metric_ allen wrenches (hex wrenches) to start off. Nearly all non-junk bikes are put together using hex bolts.

Tire levers, a pump, and patch kit of course, and lube for your chain, clipless pedals, and cables.

A few sizes of thin metric crescent wrenches are good to have too, although you can sometimes get away with an adjustable wrench.

It's nice to have some sort of stand to hold your bike off the ground while you're working on it. The simplest thing is to flip your bike upside down, but it's far from ideal. For a long time, i used two pieces of wood hanging down from the basement rafters with hooks on the end, and hung my bike by the top tube when i worked on it (stored it that way too).

When you're out riding, take a few hex wrenches (i take three, one that fits my stem and seatpost bolts, one that fits my seatpost binder bolt (no quick release), and one that is bottle cage bolt sized), tire levers, patch kit, minipump, and some alcohol pads to clean the inner tubes before you patch them. I also carry a small screwdriver with the handle cut off short.

That will get you out of the most common scrapes.
Old 06-01-05, 07:19 PM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only carry a revolver. That way if my bike comes up lame I just shoot it

As for tools, out on trail I carry an 18mm open-end wrench and an 8mm allen for my rear axle, Pedros tire levers (these are the only ones I have found that a 24" 3.0 Gazzaloodi wont break with multiple use), one multi-tool, CO2 inflation and a knife.

In the truck I allways have a complete tool set. Enough tools to completely build a bike and a truck for that matter

Old 06-01-05, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the trail, this is a start:

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/119...-Functions.htm

For Home, this kit has most of the things you need. They are low quality tools, but this will get you started and give you a tool to use in a pinch.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/119...ntool-Kit-.htm

I carry the crank bolt wrench from this kit around in my Camelbak. I broke one nice multi-tool set trying to tighten a crank bolt (that the bike shop failed to torque properly (at home I use loctite and a leverage bar, those things should NOT require tightening any more than the lug nuts on your car should)).

I like helping people on the trail so I carry tools with me. That crank bolt wrench came in handy yesterday when a friends crank came loose.

Along that line, I have one of these:
https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/113...k-H.A.W.G..htm

They're clearing out the 2004s right now. Pick one up while they last. You can fit TONS of tools in a hawg as well as extra tubes and a jacket, med-kit, etc...

One or two of these are useful as well for chain breaks:

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Last edited by willtsmith_nwi; 06-01-05 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all of the replies. all of my parts on the bike are put together with hex bolts, so that kinda narrows it down.

Thanks for all of the replies. I will be picking something up soon.
as for the tire...it got pinched. put the slime tubes in it this evening along with a little talcom powder.
Old 06-01-05, 08:31 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a folding metrix allen set that I bought from Home Depot for $6.00. It just doesn't have a screw driver, so I also carry my Gerber Mini tool with needle nose pliers, knife, saw, flat, phillips and the all important bottle opener (for those post ride emergencies).

I carry a multi sized spoke wrench, a mini-brute Park chain tool, an extra derailleur hanger, a crank bolt, and a Sram chain link as mentioned above. I throw in some zip ties and put some wraps of duct tape around my seatpost (black tape/black post).

Of course a patch kit, a spare tube and a mini pump.

If I'm planning for a longer ride I throw in a first-aide kit.

I carry it all in my Camelback.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 06-01-05, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
I carry a folding metrix allen set that I bought from Home Depot for $6.00. It just doesn't have a screw driver, so I also carry my Gerber Mini tool with needle nose pliers, knife, saw, flat, phillips and the all important bottle opener (for those post ride emergencies).

I carry a multi sized spoke wrench, a mini-brute Park chain tool, an extra derailleur hanger, a crank bolt, and a Sram chain link as mentioned above. I throw in some zip ties and put some wraps of duct tape around my seatpost (black tape/black post).

Ditto on the Park mini-brute chain tool. It's an awesome little tool

Oh, one thing I forgot. If you have disc brakes, find a T25 Torx driver to augment your older multi-tools.
Old 06-01-05, 09:50 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
yeah, i went to the bike shop and looked at there tools, but i have alot of tools, and didnt know what i need and dont need.

i think im gonna go buy one of those seat bags and put a few bucks in it, and whatever you guys recommend....

cool tool...i think im gonna look that one up.
The Gerber CoolTool is one of the best multitools ever made, in my opinion. It works better and fits your hand better than the other tools I've looked at. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore. You can sometimes find them by doing a search on Google and once in a while one shows up in a shop.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-02-05, 09:10 AM

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut

Extra derailleur hanger? How hard is it to change one?
Old 06-02-05, 10:14 AM
Withdrawal Symptoms!

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2004 And identit Dr Jekyll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy, on your hardrock there is a an allen key bolt on the derailler hanger, undo that and it just pops off, get one exactly the same, which can sometimes be a chore, and bolt it back on.. easy
Old 06-02-05, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Ooh.. i'm seriously tempted to buy that Lifu tool set. That's a nice price.
Old 06-02-05, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornish_Rdr_UK
Easy, on your hardrock there is a an allen key bolt on the derailler hanger, undo that and it just pops off, get one exactly the same, which can sometimes be a chore, and bolt it back on.. easy
Is it common for rear derailleur hangers to break? Is this why Kona even has a section for these hangers on their web page? https://konaworld.com/shopping_cart/F...id=207#hangers
Old 06-02-05, 11:47 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I go through them often. I find they break like butta
Old 06-02-05, 12:02 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
They are _designed_ to break if your rear derailleur gets knocked inwards.

It saves your frame from getting bent instead, which would be a much more serious thing on an aluminum frame (in fact, the frame might be ruined).
Old 06-02-05, 12:12 PM
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with an under-seat pack with spare tire, patch kit & tire levers. Pump is on the down tube. At some point added a Y wrench - 4,5,6mm allen. After a buddy broke a chain 4 miles from the trailhead, started carrying a chain tool but never used it on a ride.
Old 06-02-05, 12:25 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
Extra derailleur hanger? How hard is it to change one?
I carry an extra one in my CamelBak as I've bent mine before. It only takes about three minutes to change. It's two bolts at the dropout and one for the derailleur.

Old 06-02-05, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, thanks guys. I suppose that's one more thing to add to what I take on rides. I've been through two hangers so far and I do find they bend/break easily (just like they're designed to ) and if it's that easy to change then why not get a spare?
Old 06-02-05, 01:35 PM
Senior Goat Hearder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am el cheapo
$3 for a pump
https://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?s...ice1&pagename=

$7 for 15 in one multi w/ patch kit

$17 for a Tool Wedge (if you don't have a bag for the multi tool)

$2.50 for a patch kit if you get the tool wedge as it has no patches

10% off coupon from nashbar cr201

also look for 20% off(purchase 5 items) in addition to the 10% (prmo that they run often) have also seen $20 off $75 before too