Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

American in UK..sold the car and got a bike

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 09:14 AM
I'll try anything once!

Bikes: Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have live here in the UK for 13 years, I have finally changed jobs so that I can commute to my work place. I live in winchester and now commute to Cosham, (near Portsmouth), 44 mile round trip. I am a real newbie to the cycle world but got sick of paying the high price of petrol (gas) here in the UK.

I am 39, I thought this would be the best way to get fit without having to go out after work to try and stay fit...This is my third week and I am learning a lot by trial and error. I hope to keep my commuting miles up and the train rides down.

I am riding on a ebay purchased Marin Mill Valley Hybrid bike, I love it to bits. I am just trying to stay dry and safe....having fun learning too!!!
Old 06-02-05, 09:49 AM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, welcome! I'm a grad student in College Park, MD and I commute by bike as well. That's very impressive that you've gone completely car-free. Check out the commuting forum, there's a ton of good advice there.
Old 06-02-05, 10:02 AM
I'll try anything once!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I will check out that section...the petrol prices here are nearly $6.8 per gallon....yikes. I have been finding more time to think about life while riding my bike...sometimes near death experience when crossing roads, but fewer of these mishaps with gained experience.

How the commute at your end?
Old 06-02-05, 10:05 AM
Positio, ergo sum!

Bikes: Cannondale - R5000 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imagine now what you can do with all the money that was previously spent on paying the car, the repairs, the gas, the insurance ...

You could buy loads of equipment, a decent cyclocomputer, healthy food galore and so on ...
Old 06-02-05, 10:13 AM
I'll try anything once!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup, I have found ebay good for getting bits and bobs, I am trying not to go crazy and get brand new kit. I currently cycle with a really old backpack stuff with emergency supplies. So i hope to find a good lightweight cycle bag.

By the way, I would love to bike in Canada, Once I get the nerve and skill to not kill myself on a my maiden cycle vacation...2006ish
Old 06-02-05, 10:19 AM
Positio, ergo sum!

Bikes: Cannondale - R5000 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iwooty
yup, I have found ebay good for getting bits and bobs, I am trying not to go crazy and get brand new kit. I currently cycle with a really old backpack stuff with emergency supplies. So i hope to find a good lightweight cycle bag.

By the way, I would love to bike in Canada, Once I get the nerve and skill to not kill myself on a my maiden cycle vacation...2006ish
You should buy a good rear cycling rack (they are inexpensive, 10 quids tops) and some paniers. You deserve it. Backpacks can become a real pain over time (especially in warm days).
Old 06-02-05, 10:41 AM
I'll try anything once!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks...I am saving up for light weight bag...ebay of course!!

I have to admit that currently I am picking up the right kit for commuting, I reward myself each week with the savings on petrol...£25 ear marked for new bag
Old 06-02-05, 10:42 AM
I'll try anything once!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks...I am saving up for light weight bag...ebay of course!!

I have to admit that currently I am picking up the right kit for commuting, I reward myself each week with the savings on petrol...£25 ear marked for new bag