Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bucket List Bike Camping

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bucket List Bike Camping

Old 07-05-17, 12:13 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
As far as camping with mosquitoes goes, if they are thick enough an important first step is to put on both rain gear and mosquito net before setting up the tent -

Once that is done, set up the tent, very quickly unzip before putting in your gear. Keep the door open a minimum of time before jumping in. Methodically kill all the ones that made their way in and then spend rest of afternoon and evening in the tent:

Next morning, reverse the procedure. In places where they are too thick, ride another 5km down the road or so before taking a bathroom break.

At least that is the procedure I used in worst places for mosquitoes I cycled through: the West Siberian plain, a large marshy area between the Urals and Lake Baikal. What made that area bad wasn't just the density of biting insects (which I've also encountered in Alaska and northern Yukon), but the consistency. Except for the big cities, pretty much every day for six weeks large amounts of bugs.

See camping can be fun.
And I thought mosquitoes in June in the Winnipeg area were bad!!
Old 07-05-17, 09:11 PM

Bikes: Giant/HARO/ Exitway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A tip from a back packer who is used to them mozzies in Malaysia. Bring along Lemon Grass oil or mash some lemon grass leaves....mozzies here hate that.
Old 07-05-17, 10:11 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
As far as camping with mosquitoes goes, if they are thick enough an important first step is to put on both rain gear and mosquito net before setting up the tent -
Once that is done, set up the tent, very quickly unzip before putting in your gear. Keep the door open a minimum of time before jumping in. Methodically kill all the ones that made their way in and then spend rest of afternoon and evening in the tent:
Next morning, reverse the procedure. In places where they are too thick, ride another 5km down the road or so before taking a bathroom break.

At least that is the procedure I used in worst places for mosquitoes I cycled through: the West Siberian plain, a large marshy area between the Urals and Lake Baikal. What made that area bad wasn't just the density of biting insects (which I've also encountered in Alaska and northern Yukon), but the consistency. Except for the big cities, pretty much every day for six weeks large amounts of bugs.

See camping can be fun.
Seems rather unfair that far-north folks have to deal with so many bugs during the short summers. Some friends visited Suriname & went camping in the jungle with some locals--I asked about the mosquitoes; apparently the locals are pretty tough & not bothered too much by them. Heh, once saw a TV documentary about Amazonian natives--a doctor tried to give one man an injection but the guy's skin was so thick the needle broke!

Anyway, thanks for the info. I read now that my idea of wearing std base layer won't help since mosquitoes bite thru knit fabric. Do you use DEET?
Old 07-06-17, 01:28 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yep ... wearing black shorts in during a rainy June in Manitoba is a guaranteed way to get 1000 bites on your butt. They certainly do bite through fabric!

Maybe loose fitting white fabric might help.
Old 07-06-17, 01:34 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yep ... wearing black shorts in during a rainy June in Manitoba is a guaranteed way to get 1000 bites on your butt. They certainly do bite through fabric!

Maybe loose fitting white fabric might help.
Loose fitting fabric has always been what works for me. Long sleeve top and long pants go a long way in reducing bites.
Old 07-06-17, 03:50 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Do you use DEET?
Rarely. Don't particularly care to use on an extended basis, so in worst areas mostly keep moving during the day and in the tent at night.

Tropics may have lower density of mosquitoes, but at moist lower areas where temperatures don't go much below 20c/68f there seem to be many nasty mosquito-carried diseases.
Old 07-25-17, 12:54 PM

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP, I like your approach. You had something you wanted to try. You did try it and decided it wasn't for you. Nothing wrong with that.

BTW I'm younger than you. I camped A LOT over the past 40 years. I'm in my 40s now, and my former love of camping outdoors has been slowly replaced by my desire to get a cheap hotel room at night so that I can cool down, take a hot shower, and sleep on a soft bed. My wife says that I sound like a crotchety old man when I say this.
Old 08-09-17, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the same precautions for hiking would work for bike camping. that is what i do at least.

if you are that bug-averse i would try it in the cooler temps say October. you might do better.

i just came back from a bike camping trip in July in north salem NY, and the last one i went on was in Oct of 2016 at lake tiorati at bear mountain, NY. both were fantastic. yes there are some bugs but it's really just fine. you have a tent, no? maybe Long Island camping is worse? the bugs are supposed to be pretty bad this year in the NE.

it's really a fantastic opportunity to get away and see the sights as you roll away. there are so many unseen treasures and there are decent protected paths as well for maybe 70% of the ride should you choose it.

@kaos_joe - your comment cracked me up about how fast that was shut down.

and whoever said walking buffet up there. super funny.
Old 08-09-17, 05:00 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
@kaos_joe - your comment cracked me up about how fast that was shut down.

[/QUOTE]

It lives! THE BUCKET LIST THREAD.......IT LIVES!!!!!!!!

I don't remember saying anything about it being shut down, or it being shut down, or saying anything particularly witty, but happy to hear you were entertained

Not bike camping, but in a few days I'll be putting a tent up at 11,000 feet. Sheeeet, I hope (sincerely) there aren't any bugs........