Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

An open letter from an e-bike commuter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 05:30 PM

Bikes: 2017 Giant Quick-E, 2015 Trek Domane 4.0 Disc, 2014 Trek 7.2FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Calm down, bros.

This bike does 28mph and people are seriously freaking out when I pass them. Yes, I’m cheating. Yes, a pedal-assist bike is legal on the bike paths (here anyways). It’s nothing against you personally. You are faster than me on a regular bike. I’m just a guy with a long crappy commute trying to get back and forth as quickly and safely as possible. There will probably be more of us.

I can drive but the freeways are an absolute nightmare at rush hour. My commute is 18 miles each way and e-biking only takes about 30 minutes longer total plus I’m getting some great exercise. One less car and all that.

Here are a of couple of examples:

I passed a few guys in a group. This was a clean pass on a MUP with no oncoming traffic. One of the guys sprints after me, takes a look at my bike and starts yelling things like “that’s an electric bike! you’re cheating! buy a motorcycle if you can’t handle it!’ I slowed down and tried to have a civil conversation but he was just ranting so I continued on.

I passed a guy on the same MUP. A little bit later I slowed down for an intersection and he passes me back, which is fine. We’re going 26mph, which is my normal cruising speed for about a mile and he starts running out of steam so I pass him back and I’m gone. I don’t know if he was mad or just using me as a training tool (which is fine). If I see him again maybe I’ll try to have a chat with him.

Thanks for reading
Old 07-15-17, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Wheelbarrow

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reminds me of the guy who dialed it up to 400W and droped the hamer - just ignore people like that. Smile and nod, maybe even a slight wave, then move on.
Old 07-15-17, 05:38 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I think it is a great idea. As long as it is out in the open, why should anyone get their bib in a bunch.

Frankly I see the e-bike as a great tool for keeping up with your faster friends. Why shouldn't you ride with them at your top output, but their faster speed. It's just like golf. Using the handicap allows folks of dissimilar ability to enjoy the sport together.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-15-17, 05:58 PM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Don't do 28 on the bike path. Doesn't matter what kind of bike you have. Pedestrians.
Old 07-15-17, 06:02 PM

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-bikes are all good with me. People get all worked up over all kinds of crazy stuff. I think a lot of guys and gals around here are very competitive when people pass them. I'm mostly a commuter/utilitarian rider (strictly ride vintage bikes, I don't ride recreationally very much, don't wear cycling gear and often carry a bag or pannier of some sort) and once passed a lady and dude in full on bike gear on race bikes. I think I was going like 17 mph with one pannier with some light groceries and frankly was surprised I passed them. At the next light I heard them behind me. I'm quick off the line and jumped out pretty good when the light changed but I heard them coming behind me. They ended up passing me and I kinda chuckled at the whole thing because I wasn't rushing along trying to pass them (felt good though!) but they obviously felt they HAD to pass me. People are just as crazy whether they're driving a car or riding a bike. I just try to ignore them though sometimes people are just a-holes and it's hard. In those cases, pedal harder
Old 07-15-17, 06:04 PM

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Don't do 28 on the bike path. Doesn't matter what kind of bike you have. Pedestrians.
There's truth to this too. Going 26 on a MUP is not safe for anyone. If you passed me going that fast I might yell at you too.
Old 07-15-17, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
28 mph ebike on the MUP is illegal in most states, including Oregon as far as I can tell (limited to 20 mph ebikes). Most MUPs have a much lower speed limit, 12-15 MPH regardless.
Old 07-15-17, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Wuss

Just kidding, I don't care if anyone has a motor on their bike.

A few years ago someone came into a Burger King where I'd stopped and accused me of having a motor in my tail box. I thought it was hilarious at the time, and I told him you know, that sounds like a pretty good idea.
Old 07-15-17, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rolandk
Calm down, bros.

This bike does 28mph and people are seriously freaking out when I pass them. Yes, I’m cheating. Yes, a pedal-assist bike is legal on the bike paths (here anyways). It’s nothing against you personally. You are faster than me on a regular bike. I’m just a guy with a long crappy commute trying to get back and forth as quickly and safely as possible. There will probably be more of us.

I can drive but the freeways are an absolute nightmare at rush hour. My commute is 18 miles each way and e-biking only takes about 30 minutes longer total plus I’m getting some great exercise. One less car and all that.

Here are a of couple of examples:

I passed a few guys in a group. This was a clean pass on a MUP with no oncoming traffic. One of the guys sprints after me, takes a look at my bike and starts yelling things like “that’s an electric bike! you’re cheating! buy a motorcycle if you can’t handle it!’ I slowed down and tried to have a civil conversation but he was just ranting so I continued on.

I passed a guy on the same MUP. A little bit later I slowed down for an intersection and he passes me back, which is fine. We’re going 26mph, which is my normal cruising speed for about a mile and he starts running out of steam so I pass him back and I’m gone. I don’t know if he was mad or just using me as a training tool (which is fine). If I see him again maybe I’ll try to have a chat with him.

Thanks for reading
wait how do you get exercise when the bike does all the pedaling for you?

the max speed in my state for an e bike is 20 mph
Old 07-15-17, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I realize that every MUP is different, but 28mph? Huh.
Old 07-15-17, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I wouldn't give a damn if you passed me on a road with a striped bike lane but the local MUPs are another matter. Most are not wide enough for you to give me a couple of feet (same as a vehicle doing 25 mph or faster), many have fences along the path, and due to water conservation many have stones lining the path so there is no place to bail out. If you are traveling at 28 mph you are going at 41 feet per second and that does not give you or anyone else the time to react to a problem.

If you expected sympathy, you will not get it from me.
Old 07-15-17, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Bro. Complain to people, about people complaining about you. Very Brolicous
Old 07-15-17, 06:36 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Things may be different where the OP lives but in the state of Georgia, the electric motor must disengage at 20 MPH. To be an e-bike, the motor must be incapable of propelling the bike at no more than 20 MPH.

If you are doing 28 MPH under power of the motor then it is a moped and should not be on the path.

If you are going 30 MPH under power of the motor then it is a motorcycle and you need license, registration, insurance and everything else a motorcycle needs.

Riding a motor vehicle on the path where I ride is a $1000 fine.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-15-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Seems to me that an e-bike, which has a battery driving an electric motor, would be illegal on MUP's that typically have "No Motorized Vehicle" signs. I'm pretty sure the paths in NYC that I ride are like that.

I'm seeing motor scooters on these paths. At some point folks will find it's OK to use an e-bike, then the scooter folks see that and say "hey, it's faster then being on a highway". Then the motocysles see that, etc.....

As far as I'm concerned you should keep the **** off of the paths.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-16-17 at 05:56 PM. Reason: bypassing forum censor
Old 07-15-17, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At least offer to motor pace.
Old 07-15-17, 07:26 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
+1

Get on the road if you're going to do that kind of speed.
Old 07-15-17, 09:08 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I realize that every MUP is different, but 28mph? Huh.
Yeah, 28 mph is both grossly inappropriate and illegal on most MUPs

If you're cruising at 28mph, you're a much better fit, for your safety, and the safety of others on the road.
Old 07-15-17, 09:12 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Successful troll is successful troll
Old 07-15-17, 09:17 PM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I wouldn't give a damn if you passed me on a road with a striped bike lane .
I would. Just as a matter of pride, I'd grab your wheel, draft, recover, then sprint out site. ( and turn off before I settle back I and get caught).

Some things just can't be tolerated.
Old 07-15-17, 09:22 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
And this is why there is some other place for ebike threads....
Old 07-15-17, 11:48 PM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by ne_dan
Yeah Bro. Complain to people, about people complaining about you. Very Brolicous
You're complaining about someone complaining about people complaining to them? Where will it end?
Old 07-16-17, 01:03 AM

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just make sure you flag your e-bike rides as such in Strava

Geoff
Old 07-16-17, 02:50 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
I strictly a "NO HARM, NO FOUL" person, so as long as you didn't cause me any grief, I wouldn't care what you ride or where. This goes triple, since you're 3,000 miles away.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-16-17, 05:16 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
To clarify, the OP said the bike was capable of 28 mph, he didn't say he passed at 28 mph. It could have been at 20 mph, or much slower, on the MUP. But then again, passing a group on a MUP even at 20 mph seems pretty dangerous too.

But like others have said, 28 mph max speed seems high for an ebike. I think most of ebikes I've seen the motor cuts out at 20 mph.

I think ebikes are great for long commutes, and if I had one that was 18 miles one-way I'd totally consider getting one, because that's a long time to spend getting to work and back.
Old 07-16-17, 05:19 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I was once passed by a large gentleman on an ebike on the middle of a hill, on a bike lane, like I was standing still. I didn't feel the impulse to yell at him. I was think, man, that's cool!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.