Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you ever repeat a tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 04:53 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Just got back from a non bike vacation where I took the Empire Builder across country. I feel in love with train travel. I think I might want to start combining my passion for touring with my new love of train travel.

Assuming the funding continues, I would like to take the Zephyr across country. That would mean a repeat of my tour of the California coast from San Francisco to Santa Barbara, though I will likely stop in San Luis Opisbo this time and just take the train to LA. I really don't want to repeat the same tour, as there are so many places on my list to go including the Icefields Parkway, but then again I really want to make that train trip back home.

I did enjoy my California coast trip. The Oregon coast had more ocean view opportunities but even though there were less chances to see the ocean on the CA coast, what was there was simply spectacular. Not to mention the food was fantastic all along the route.

So have you ever repeated a tour? Are you glad you did it?
Old 08-17-17, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Just got back from a non bike vacation where I took the Empire Builder across country. I feel in love with train travel. I think I might want to start combining my passion for touring with my new love of train travel.

Assuming the funding continues, I would like to take the Zephyr across country. That would mean a repeat of my tour of the California coast from San Francisco to Santa Barbara, though I will likely stop in San Luis Opisbo this time and just take the train to LA. I really don't want to repeat the same tour, as there are so many places on my list to go including the Icefields Parkway, but then again I really want to make that train trip back home.

I did enjoy my California coast trip. The Oregon coast had more ocean view opportunities but even though there were less chances to see the ocean on the CA coast, what was there was simply spectacular. Not to mention the food was fantastic all along the route.

I've repeated sections or portions of several tours, and I was happy that I did. They are always different. My wife and I repeated part of the Rhine Route that we road 4 years earlier; it was a totally different experience. We also did a short tour last week with our daughters. It was new to them, but my wife and I had ridden most of it 2-3 times before. It was a completely different experience.

You can take the train from Vancouver BC to Jasper to start the Icefields Parkway. We planned on doing just that, but the railroad contacted us about a possible strike; advising us to consider alternate transportation. We rented a car which was cheaper than the train, even with a motel thrown in. We did take the train from Oregon to Vancouver, BC.
Old 08-17-17, 06:10 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Probably wouldn't do them exactly the same, but I'd repeat the locations of both tours I've done.
Old 08-17-17, 06:34 PM
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Doug64
You can take the train from Vancouver BC to Jasper to start the Icefields Parkway

Considered that but I like the idea of taking the train home to Pittsburgh. Plus putting the bike onboard is an enormous bonus. That train is on my list but I will likely save it as a train only trip when I am too old to tour anymore.

Originally Posted by Doug64
but the railroad contacted us about a possible strike
Don't take the train in Italy. Almost a daily occurrence. Good news, they don't last for long.
Old 08-17-17, 06:37 PM
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Probably wouldn't do them exactly the same, but I'd repeat the locations of both tours I've done.

Like Doug I have repeated parts of tours. It is nice to reminisce.

BTW I don't count he the GAP which I have done a couple of times and about to again in September but it is pretty much right outside my backdoor so no big deal for a long weekend tour.
Old 08-17-17, 06:48 PM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Ah, Spin -

To combine a bike trip with an Amtrak ride out or back is simply the best.
Last summer I rode cross-country - yet again - then took Amtrak from Manhattan to Seattle.
It was actually the first time I did a coast-to-coast on a train - bit long, but worth it.
I truly hope Amtrak's beautiful long-distance trains are retained.

As for doing the same trips - not exactly, but close.
You can never step into the same river twice - so I never try to recreate a past experience.
But many times I have taken similar routes - weaving them in with older rides.
Really, how many times have you thought - what's the ride through southern Montana like?
So I do another trip, but ride southern Montana instead.

I have ridden into Yosemite many times - riding up from El Portal to Yosemite Valley.
Over the past 25 years, I cannot help but notice more impatient drivers.
Obviously, I am going slow and the road is narrow.
But the cars are closer and the engines are gunned louder.
It's just a sign of the times.

A more bittersweet repeat -
I rode through Washtucna, Washington on my first cross-country back in 1987.
I was heading from Pasco to Spokane and stayed at the little motel.
Last summer I was riding a different Highway 26, but stopped in Washtucna -
But the motel was long gone - only a dirt lot - and most of town was boarded up.

So, yes, there are definite advantages in seeing the same places.
No trip is ever the same - with new and, perhaps, more subtle understandings out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7149.jpg (92.5 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by jamawani; 08-17-17 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I've cycled the ACA TransAm three times to completion, twice to Astoria and once to Florence. Another as far as Newton KS but had to abort that trip due to a medical crisis.

I also enjoy combining trains and bikes. The best trip was VIA Rail Canada, Montreal to Regina SK. Bike trip south through Dakota Badlands, NE, WY, CO, finishing at Las Vegas NM, then Amtrak back to Boston.

Another was Greyhound NH to Grand Junction CO. (ugh! Only $99, should have taken the train!) Then bike to Durango CO then north to Revelstoke BC. VIA Rail to Lake Louise AB, bike from Banff to Jasper AB, then VIA Rail back to Montreal, bike from Montreal to NH.

Some of the above train routes have been discontinued.

Last edited by BobG; 08-17-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I would do the Columbia Icefield Parkway again in a minute if I didn't have other routes in mind already.

It also seems I have done the Calgary - lake Louise run during three different tours now and still like it. I may be an oddball but I love the approach to the Rockies from the east.

P4011850 by dc460, on Flickr

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-17-17 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 07:11 PM
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Since I live in San Francisco and have family and friends in LA, I've ridden the SF to LA run a half dozen times. But, I can't really see any reason to do it again.
Old 08-17-17, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Yes.
Old 08-17-17, 07:49 PM
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I am part of a group of three that meets annually in Prince Edward County for a two-day tour. 2017 will be our tenth time. Plus I have toured there myself, or with other friends, countless times since the mid-1990s. I have no idea how many times I have cycled in the County.

After so many trips, I find the land, the roads, and the people familiar, yet each visit is different... and special.
Old 08-17-17, 08:06 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a neighbor who says he has done the Katy trail about 15 times in about 10 yrs.
But of course here that's akin to doing the local MUP a bunch of times. Maybe exactly like that.
Old 08-17-17, 08:11 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Yep and Yep.

We also travel back to the same areas and do different types of tours and travel there in order to see and experience more of the area.
Old 08-17-17, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
We originally did the GAP & C&O as part of a longer tour. We repeated them again just this last June but even then, we road from CT to DC which we had not done before. And we have found ourselves on some of the same trails from time to time. I do not think I would repeat an entire trip but parts work.
Old 08-17-17, 08:22 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Like Doug I have repeated parts of tours. It is nice to reminisce.
I wouldn't count it so much as reminiscing, I would count it as having a better idea of the area and how I can better experience it.

For example, instead of doing Brussels to Amsterdam again, I'd love to go back and do a circle tour of Flanders, and spend more time there than the two days I previously had. Likewise, although not "touring" persay, I think Amsterdam would be a good central base for yet another trip, where I could leave my crap in a hotel room and do a number of day trips "just riding" from there.

As far as Iceland, I have unfinished business there
Old 08-17-17, 08:34 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
So have you ever repeated a tour?
You can't truly ever repeat a tour. A tour is not a route. Even a route can't truly be repeated.
Old 08-17-17, 11:02 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Haven't exactly repeated a tour but with more time I'd probably repeat some regional tours. After first run one can iron out route etc problems, could be fun & relaxing.
Old 08-17-17, 11:44 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You won't be repeating the same tour, because you can't get through on Highway 1 due to the slide 10 miles south of Lucia, so you will have to head inland, which will add a memorable 4000 ft climb.
Old 08-18-17, 12:17 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yep and Yep.

We also travel back to the same areas and do different types of tours and travel there in order to see and experience more of the area.

For example ...

I have cycled the Golden Triangle tour with the Elbow Valley Cycling Club based in Calgary twice. Same route both times ... different atmosphere each time. Both very good.

I've also cycled from Jasper to Banff on a tour many years earlier which took in some of that.

Rowan and I have cycled from Red Deer to Banff on a tour somewhere in between those two Golden Triangle tours, which took in some of the Golden Triangle tour route.

I've countless day rides with my family in that area growing up, and again when I moved back to Red Deer a number of years ago.

I cycled the Rocky Mountain 1200 which covered some of that area ... and several other Albertan randonnees in that area too. In fact, I've done the Golden Triangle route backward as part of a 400 km randonnee

And I've driven and hiked all through that area.
Old 08-18-17, 12:21 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...I would like to take the Zephyr across country. That would mean a repeat of my tour of the California coast from San Francisco to Santa Barbara....
not necessary. no need to ride the zephyr all the way through.

there are half a dozen stops in california, or you could disemboard in reno.
Old 08-18-17, 04:30 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
I've done the San Diego Christmas ride five times and each was essentially the same route. This year they are doing it in reverse.

When I lived in San Jose, I cycled down the coast to San Luis Obispo at least four times, taking the train back each time.

I also cycled Vancouver, BC to Eugene, OR once each year when I lived in Portland. Other parts of the Pacific coast also duplicated a few times.

In 1997, I took Alaska Highway down and then across Canada. In 2016, I repeated a good portion of Alaska Highway coming from Deadhorse via Fairbanks to Watson Lake and then down the Cassiar. A lot had changed in 19 years, particularly some of the historic lodges closed and my own pace less distance per day.

It is tough not to repeat some sections in some parts of the country if you travel common places. However, the experience still differs.
Old 08-18-17, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I have not done any of my tours twice, but definitely would and probably will for some of them. The TA, PCH, and ST are definitely trips I'd consider doing again. My other tours were great, but probably a one time thing.

On Amtrak... I really wanted to like rail travel for getting to and from my tours, but in practice it has not worked out so well for me. When I returned home from a tour by Amtrak I was more tired from the train ride than from the tour. It was slow and expensive. It actually cost more and took longer than a rental car would have. As it is, I'll probably either drive or fly to/from future tours.
Old 08-18-17, 07:45 AM
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by wgscott
You won't be repeating the same tour, because you can't get through on Highway 1 due to the slide 10 miles south of Lucia, so you will have to head inland, which will add a memorable 4000 ft climb.

I never said this is going to happen this year. Road is supposed to be repaired in September.
Old 08-18-17, 07:46 AM
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by saddlesores
not necessary. no need to ride the zephyr all the way through.

there are half a dozen stops in california, or you could disemboard in reno.

why would I want to get off in Reno since the object is to get back home on the train through the Rockies?
Old 08-18-17, 08:04 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
why would I want to get off in Reno since the object is to get back home on the train through the Rockies?
sorry...my mistake. first reading thought you wanted
to train to cali then ride, but didn't want to repeat a
section of tour along the coast to or from san fran.

in that case, go inland, board the train in reno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.