Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses that deal with bright early morning sunlight?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 03:51 PM
Gutter Bunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Every couple of years I have to buy a new pair sunglasses as they seem to deteriorate in their ability to cut out bright early morning glare.

I've always attributed it to lens quality and the plastic surface of the lens degrading.

Anyone have a pair of sunglasses that:

a) last more than two years and maintain quality?

b) deal with insanely bright morning sunlight?

c) won't break the bank?

The more you pay, (Oakley's tend to last longer), equals better lenses and someone even suggested maybe impractically aviator Zeiss sunglasses? That's a bit out of my league.

I live in New Zealand so air quality is pretty good and that's why it's so bright.
Old 08-22-17, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
oakley radarlock with photochromic lenses work for me. I use it from dark to dawn transition.
Old 08-22-17, 04:28 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I use J!NS SPORTS from Japan (you should be able to get them in NZ).

I prefer these ones ... I think they were ¥3995 in Osaka.

This pair has about 3 years of heavy usage (nearly every day ... especially for wind resistance).
Old 08-22-17, 04:31 PM

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I wonder if you are experiencing the expiration of the polarized lenses? I never gave it a thought, but the polarization (?) may have a life span...believe it a chemical treatment of some kind. Anyone know if that is the case?
Old 08-22-17, 09:21 PM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Not sure how sensitive to bright light you are. I love Uvex photochromatic (marketed as "vario") sunglasses. They have models that go from very, very dark to lighter, and models that switch from... not very very dark, but decent amount of shading to practically completely clear. I use the latter ones - dark often catches me, and I'm not too sensitive to sunlight.

Polarized sunglasses are not the best choice for cycling, since they can mask some info of the road surface.
Old 08-22-17, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
+1 on photochromatic. I discovered their utility in skiing and next was cycling. Also for cycling a good visor is indispensable. Alas the latter is pretty useless for skiing - just flaps around.
Old 08-22-17, 10:02 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Polarized lenses can deteriorate from oxidation. This is more likely to be accelerated by our own sweat. There are photographic polarizing filters sealed against oxidation but I don't know about sunglasses.

The main problem with my Italian made polarizing sunglasses isn't oxidation but scuffs and scratches from heavy use over 10 years or so.

Polarizing lenses offer only limited help to reduce glare from certain angles. They don't help with sunlight head on in early morning or evening. If your main problem is head-on sunlight, skip the expensive and fragile polarizers and get the best quality optics you can afford.
Old 08-23-17, 01:35 AM
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm going with a pair of photocromatic sunnies.
Old 08-23-17, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have very light-sensitive eyes and opted twenty years ago to invest in Maui Jim sunglasses. This past weekend I had a 17-year old frame tuned up at my opthalmologist and they should be good for as long as I take care of them. Also ordered a new pair, with prescription lenses (that Maui makes). I personally have not seen better sunglasses.

https://www.mauijim.com/en/shop/new-arrivals

Old 08-23-17, 06:48 AM

Bikes: 2012 TREK Madone 3.1

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the shill for Maui Jim as the best sunglasses I've ever worn (1 pair over 12 years, another over 5), but as everyday glasses, not cycling specific. I use SMITH on my bike and haven't had any issues with early morning glare (Edmonton, AB - the sun comes up low over farm country roads). But honestly the best thing I find that helps is a good cycling cap! Flip that brim down and it'll cut out most issues.
Old 08-23-17, 07:13 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I'm sure you could get those solar eclipse glasses for REALLY cheap as of yesterday....

(It's a joke. Don't do that. It'd be the same as riding with your eyes closed)
Old 08-23-17, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I'm sure you could get those solar eclipse glasses for REALLY cheap as of yesterday....

(It's a joke. Don't do that. It'd be the same as riding with your eyes closed)

But the bright lights of cyclists coming towards you wouldn't blind you.
Old 08-23-17, 09:53 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I am always up for better shades but I need Rx and none of the fancy stuff seems to be available that way. So I wear a baseball hat under my helmet for additional protection.
Old 08-23-17, 10:10 AM
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
In early '80s Vuarnet sunglasses were the hottest thing going. They had glass lenses and a system for choosing the darkness and color of the lens for your activity. I think 2000 is sort of all purpose, and 4000 and 5000 are for mountains and open water. You can still get these old glasses on ebay pretty cheap. I have a pair that are pretty dark amber with darker strips on top and bottom (possibly called skilynx?). They're incredible in bright light, and the image is crystal clear. I love them!

Originally Posted by Jonahhobbes
Every couple of years I have to buy a new pair sunglasses as they seem to deteriorate in their ability to cut out bright early morning glare.

I've always attributed it to lens quality and the plastic surface of the lens degrading.

Anyone have a pair of sunglasses that:

a) last more than two years and maintain quality?

b) deal with insanely bright morning sunlight?

c) won't break the bank?

The more you pay, (Oakley's tend to last longer), equals better lenses and someone even suggested maybe impractically aviator Zeiss sunglasses? That's a bit out of my league.

I live in New Zealand so air quality is pretty good and that's why it's so bright.

Last edited by PennyTheDog; 08-23-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Ok... here I go. Rant on. If you were driving a car, even a newer one with 5 different coatings on the windshield to deal with glare, UV, etc. What do you do when you turn a corner and are heading directly into low sun? Put on sunglasses? No. You probably already have sunglasses on. You flip down the visor! Right? I know I do. But I hate sun in my eyes. Besides being annoying, its dangerous, moving forward when you cannot see! More people should use the flip down visors that car makers provide. 100 years of automotive progress have not dispensed with the low tech flip down visor, and most of them can swivel more ways than a Las Vegas stripper to block the sun from any quarter except directly to the rear.

I have been trying to invent a cycling equivalent of an automotive style flip down visor for years. But, Eureka, I found it. After years of no progress and certain that someone somewhere also was thinking along the same lines I got Googling in earnest. After hours and hours of dead ends I found: https://wisersunvisor.com/ and I've been using one for a couple of weeks. Along with sunglasses for the UV and glare, and a standard golf visor to hold it in place, the Wiser Visor has the 'flip' built in that allows you to put the sun out of consideration right down to the horizon! It flat out works. It eliminates helmet visors which ride way too high and do not deal with the low angle sun that you find early in the morning and late in the evening.

The best sunglasses in the world can't do anything about dead on low angle sun, and every morning and evening rush hour thousands of freeway accidents take place because drivers can't see. Most have sunglasses on, and they are behind tinted windshields to boot. They don't have their visors down. Unless they are applying make-up. That is another thread. Sunglasses reduce the light, they reduce the glare, they protect your retina from UV, but when the sun is that low, and in your face, what you really need to do is to SEE. To do that you have to BLOCK the sun. Totally. With a visor. In a car you wouldn't have to think that hard about where to find a visor. On a bike you take a hand off the bars to shield your eyes right? Tell the truth. That's what you do, wobble about with one hand on the handlebar while you try to make a left turn and keep the sun out of your eyes at th BOOM! That was you getting T-Boned by the Escalade you couldn't see. Don't risk that. By the way, I have zero connection in any way, shape or form, with the Wiser Visor company, beyond being a satisfied customer.
Old 08-23-17, 10:20 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
In early '80s Vuarnet sunglasses were the hottest thing going. They had glass lenses and a system for choosing the darkness and color of the lens for your activity. I think 2 is sort of all purpose, and 4 and 5 are for mountains and open water. You can still get these old glasses on ebay pretty cheap. I have a pair that are pretty dark amber with darker strips on top and bottom (possibly called skilynx?). They're incredible in bright light, and the image is crystal clear. I love them!
The J!NS I posted provide the light transmittance (in percentage) and describe whether they're polarised or not. I went with 29% transmittance, but they offer 13% options. With and without polarisation. They also assign activities to each (mine are for tennis for example, as shown in the photo).

"JINS SPORTS' functional eyewear incorporating lenses compatible with sports, easy-to-recognize the information come into sight.
Wide field of view larger lens type. According to the lens color scheme's sunglasses.
On trends in sports wear design easy-to-incorporate style, fit, feel free to.

Frame design
Frame curve along the face design, analyzes the structure of the Japanese. By using lighter materials in the frame, seeking comfort.
Nose, shaped to fit yourself at the height of the original nose pads can be adjusted. Provides a comfortable fit.
Soft rubber to fit 締め付けず head to the temple. Attached to the inside, so does not affect appearance.

Lens specifications
Protect your eyes from any outstanding strength and low distortion uses NXT high contrast lens boasts a superb sharpness. (UV transmittance:0.1% below (400 nm)
Reduce distortion of the lens wearer unique D Center technology further along the curve had change the thickness of the lens.
The contours of the eye to show clear and provides a pleasant sight.

Polarized lens type is not available in operation as of night.
* How to see differences.

[Frame color: light blue]
Lens color: grey (for fishing and water sport polarized lens *)
Visible light transmittance: 13%
* Reduce the diffuse, such as glass or water, softens the glare.
* The surface of the lens is a coat type that reflects like a mirror. (Night unavailable to the driver)

[Frame color: white,
Lens color: Blue
Visible light transmittance: 29%

[Frame color: Brown]
Lens color: Brown (fishing and water sports for polarized lenses *)
Visible light transmittance: 13%
* Reduce the diffuse, such as glass or water, softens the glare.
* The surface of the lens is a coat type that reflects like a mirror. (Night unavailable to the driver)

[Frame color: black,
Lens color: Green
Visible light transmittance: 29%

Type of large Wellington
Material: TR-90 Air frame and the same light weight elastic material
Nose pads: yourself in the Rubbermaid adjustable
Accessories: original sunglasses cloth & soft case

* Degree cannot exchange lenses.
* Accept fitting adjustments due to the material characteristics.
They usually provide good spec sheets on all of their glasses listed in here:

J!NS japan
Old 08-24-17, 03:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Plastic degrade over time. I'm worry your 17-y.o lense has lost some of its UV protection.

UV is no joke...cataract, glucoma, macular degeneration, blindness...

SOme of us serious cyclists spends hours and hours day after day outside in the bright sunlight.
The lenses aren't 17 years old. The frames are.
Old 08-25-17, 06:29 AM

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Third person to voice for Maui Jim here. I'm a truck driver that commutes on a bike and often find myself driving straight into sunrises. I have the Maui Jim polarized lenses that have like a mirrored finish that runs horizontally along the top and bottom of the lens. I've tried Oakley and Revo polarized lenses also and I find the Mauis are noticeably better.
I also have to second the advise that just like in a car, or in my case an 18 wheeler, the visor is indispensable for sunlight. Wear a cycling cap and flip the brim down.
Old 08-25-17, 08:28 AM

Bikes: 2012 TREK Madone 3.1

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chiming back in again today - cycling cap saving my behind as usual. They're cheaper than shades and double as a sweatband. Just do it.
Old 08-25-17, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Plastic degrade over time. I'm worry your 17-y.o lense has lost some of its UV protection.

UV is no joke...cataract, glucoma, macular degeneration, blindness...

SOme of us serious cyclists spends hours and hours day after day outside in the bright sunlight.
UV degradation causes plastic to absorb more more UV light. The plastic gets hazy and yellows. There are plenty of reasons to want new glasses, but I suspect 17yr plastic lenses absorb just as much or more UV than a brand new pair.

They may not have the same level of impact protection though.
Old 08-29-17, 07:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
UV degradation causes plastic to absorb more more UV light. The plastic gets hazy and yellows. There are plenty of reasons to want new glasses, but I suspect 17yr plastic lenses absorb just as much or more UV than a brand new pair.

They may not have the same level of impact protection though.

Again, the lenses are not 17 years old. The frames are 17 years old.

Maui Jim also does prescription lenses and mine are periodically changed out.

Old 08-30-17, 11:04 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use < $10 tinted 3M safety glasses. super, super comfortable, and I don't care if they get scratched and I certainly don't care if I have to buy a new pair every year or two.
Old 08-31-17, 12:43 PM
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I am always up for better shades but I need Rx and none of the fancy stuff seems to be available that way. So I wear a baseball hat under my helmet for additional protection.
Every five years or so I buy a good pair of prescription sunglasses using the discount my Vision plan provides. I've had RayBan and Nike, and I believe all Luxotica brands offer the prescription option. All the options I've wanted have been available on sunglasses: progressive bifocals, anachromatic lenses, hard protective coatings, polarization.

Two hints - most photochromatic lenses don't work in cars, since the glass blocks the UV that activates them. Second, polarized lenses don't work well with displays, although the problem is less severe now.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 09-01-17, 08:33 AM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I have two plus year old Oakley flak jackets prescription and the mirror finish of the sunglasses is cracked and makes it feel like I am looking through dirty glasses. It drives me crazy just don't have the cash to get $200-300 new lenses.

I love the way they fit and how clear they were at first everywhere I looked I could see clearly.
Old 09-05-17, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Tifosi glasses from my LBS and love them, cost $70, come with 3 different sets of lens you can exchange, work really well with bright sunlight with the proper lens, and stick to your nose, I even wear them when jogging and they don't budge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.