Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Longer rides, distance between rests

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As I've been adding distance to my rides this year, I've found that my average speed isn't really changing much, but the distance I'm able to go between stops has increased. On my first couple of rides this year I could only go about 5-7 miles before a rest. Last week I did 80 miles, stopping every 20 miles. This past Sunday I did 50 and only stopped once at the 25-mile mark. I know some of you ironmen do centuries without stopping, but what's a typical distance interval between stops for the rest of you?
Old 06-06-05, 08:28 AM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
the 75milers this past weekend had stops every 12-18 miles apart, and they were required (check in), but I like to go 20-25 before taking a short break. I've also found that as I add mileage I get more comfy on the bike (body adjusting) and I've been slowly tweaking saddle height/position and handlebar angle to hone the fit, which has helped tremendously in being able to ride longer without stopping. And, 20-25 miles is about where my bladder takes priority
Old 06-06-05, 05:09 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I do lots of long distance riding and the distances between my stops varies widely depending on weather (i.e. putting a jacket on, taking tights off, getting things to drink, adding my rain cover to my helmet), terrain (I may stop and wheeze at the top of a hill for a moment), designated controls (for the brevets I ride), etc.

But given fairly ideal conditions I will ride about 50 kms (30 miles) between breaks.
Old 06-06-05, 05:44 PM
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most centuries have rest stops about every 20-30 miles. The more you ride long distances, the less you need them. My long rides are usually 80-110 miles and I'll stop twice for about 5-10 minutes to get water and go to the bathroom. It's normal for your body to acclimate to longer distances and need less time resting. Just don't push it too much, or you may not eat enough, get good at eating on the bike and you can go even longer.
Old 06-06-05, 06:06 PM

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several times I rode for 75 miles before stopping, but that was in flat Saskatchewan, with the tail wind.

During relaxed touring, I stopped once I saw something worth stopping or to drink/eat, which was usually between 6 and 15 miles.
Old 06-06-05, 06:31 PM
Alien lifeform

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Expedition Elite, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inoplanetyanin
Several times I rode for 75 miles before stopping, but that was in flat Saskatchewan, with the tail wind.

During relaxed touring, I stopped once I saw something worth stopping or to drink/eat, which was usually between 6 and 15 miles.
Are you planning on adding the remainder of your tour log to the web site? I've read what you have there and find it fascinating reading... I was rather bummed that it stopped at day 30.....
Old 06-06-05, 07:24 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I prefer not to stop at all. I have found that there's hard work on uphills, but then a downhill or flat follows where I rest. Take it easy going downhill and recover breath. And take that drink and eat a bit. Then when the next hard bit comes along, you're ready again. The problem with stopping anything longer than just 2 or 3 minutes is that your muscles cool down, and then you have to get them warm again. Ouch. These days the only thing I stop for is for a pee or a 30 minute break for lunch.
Old 06-06-05, 08:39 PM
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typically I'm pretty comfortable doing about 20 without stopping, but I carry two water bottles and usually haven't touched one of them at 20. There's a loop I do through parts of Manassas toward Woodbridge that's a little over 32 miles, and I often do that nonstop, and generally with empty water bottles.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 06-07-05, 09:06 AM
acciaio is real

Bikes: Yes, bicycle(s) I own!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop whenever I can for pretty women, or at least slow down and try not to get caught gawking. I usually pretend that there's something going wrong with my shifting, or I need to make an equipment adjustment, etc.
Old 06-07-05, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I prefer not to stop at all. I have found that there's hard work on uphills, but then a downhill or flat follows where I rest. Take it easy going downhill and recover breath.
I'm all about modulating effort. It's usually not the muscles or lungs that make me stop, it's giving my arse and aching neck and shoulders a rest.
Old 06-07-05, 10:57 AM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same for me ^^^

I can ride all day on the bike if it was not for my neck... but it is getting stronger the more riding that I do... On last Wednesday when I did 80+ I stoped 3 times, once at 40 miles (at the beach rest stop), once at about 60 miles and than at home. On solo rides I generally eat and drink on the bike, but it does feel good to get off and stretch.

Now if it was a race... stops = 0, because stoping either means... have to pee, have a flat or crash, all bad things.
Old 06-07-05, 11:04 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
more or less every 25 miles or if i see an exceptional resting area. like some bench that overlooks the river or something like that. last saturday i got overheated and kept hitting the wall so i stopped 3 times on a 45 mile ride. sometimes you just gotta get off the bike for a minute and regroup.
Old 06-07-05, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
60-75 miles or every 3 hrs whichever comes first
Old 06-08-05, 12:24 PM
Buddha Khan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first picked up cycling again, I would rest a few minutes after 10 miles or so. After getting used to doing solo centuries, I can basically ride non-stop (unless you count stopping at a stop sign/light a stop). Of course, I don't like riding and eating energy bars at the same time (sometimes gives me indigestion). So these days when I do a solo century, I typically stop around the 50-mile mark and buy a sandwich at a Subway, Togos or whatever sandwich shop I'm near for about for a 20~30 minute break. Usually for rides of 50 miles or lower, I don't stop at all (unless I see something interesting). Yes, I try to vary the route so it doesn't get so boring from going the same paths all the time.