Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Replace Housing Guide

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Replace Housing Guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replace Housing Guide

Well today my housing got snagged on a handrail, and the end result was this housing guide broke. it was never strong to begin with since when I got the frame this particular guide was partially crushed.

I have looked online and the braze-ons, and they are not too expensive. However, I don't have an acetylene torch. Can I use propane or mapp gass to braze a new guide onto the frame. I suspect I can't use brass brazing rod with a propane or mapp torch. I just want to fix it without spending too much money. I can get a powder coat for 90 dollars.

Last edited by yonekura; 09-10-17 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
For this small material mass job a torch that's inadequate for BB shells and crowns can be fine, like MAP. I would strongly consider a lower temp filler, like 56% silver brazing rod.

I would consider removing the other not yet broken casing guides and attaching split casing stops. Andy.
Old 09-10-17, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
For this small material mass job a torch that's inadequate for BB shells and crowns can be fine, like MAP. I would strongly consider a lower temp filler, like 56% silver brazing rod.

I would consider removing the other not yet broken casing guides and attaching split casing stops. Andy.
I actually was curious about what's better guides or stops.
Old 09-10-17, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by yonekura

I'm a wrench so the design that allows for easy maintenance is the better choice IMO. Andy.
Old 09-10-17, 10:17 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I would use a clip unless you were really set on ruining the paint
Old 09-10-17, 10:32 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Since a housing guide is non structural and has minimal load, I'd consider carefully filing the old one off to not quite flush with the tube. If you're good with a file, you can get as close to flush as you dare, but want to be careful about filing or cutting into the tube. Then shape the back of a replacement to a good fit, and glue it in place with high strength adhesive.

There's no sense in burning the paint with a silver solder repair at this point.

BTW - If you want more strength than you think glue can offer, start the same way, and drill a small hole into the tube. Then drill the back of the replacement, and set a pin, silver soldering it, which is easy enough with MAPP gas on a part this small. Then clean everything up well, and set the replacement using glue.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-11-17, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well filling off the busted guide means steel is exposed, plus there are a few other rough patches so I am not sure that would be the best course of action.
Old 09-11-17, 09:37 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
nuking it with a torch means a whole lot of steel is exposed.

But I have no idea why you would do anything other than use a clip
Old 09-11-17, 09:38 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Well filling off the busted guide means steel is exposed, plus there are a few other rough patches so I am not sure that would be the best course of action.
You asked about brazing a replacement. How do you propose to do that without first removing the broken one? And how do you expect to braze anything without burning paint and exposing steel?

Either way, you have to get down to a clean tube, ie. debraze, then cool, and clean up with a file in preparation to brazing the replacement. hat's two heating cycles. All I'm suggesting is that you remove the old one with a file instead of heat, then once you're down to the tube (which you are not filing) you can either braze or glue the replacement. Your call.

Off course you might carefully clean up the existing braze on, filing the broken bit to the base. Then buy a new braze on, carefully cut it in half to match what's left of yours and then silver solder the new top to the old base.

That's possible, but it's delicate jewelry maker's work, and there may not be enough strength. But it's a viable option if you have the skill for that kind of delicate work.

All in all, I suspect that my clean up and glue approach is far less intrusive than any brazing solution, but it's not my bike.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-11-17 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen

But I have no idea why you would do anything other than use a clip
Ours is not to reason why......

Old 09-13-17, 10:27 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
for substituting guides consider zip tie anchor guides,
they really have nothing to break off but the replaceable plastic zip tie.

you could file off the sharp bits and just get self adhesive zip-tie attachment patches or just tape down the housing..