Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Speedcity question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mavic Speedcity question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 03:47 PM
My Duty to Ride

Bikes: Giant Iguana 650 utility bike, Surly LHT, Trek TopFuel 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic Speedcity question

Mavic Speedcity wheels are set up for disc brakes, but I heard they are also rim brake compatible. How much of a problem would it be to put these wheels on a bike with rim brakes?
Old 06-07-05, 04:06 PM
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I run Mavic Speedcity wheels on a touring bike with Tektro mini V rim brakes on the front and old traditional Shimano cantilevers on the rear. They work just great. I love the toughness of the Speedcities. The bike is my daily commuter so it takes a lot of bumping over curbs and the like.

I have heard of people running the Speedcity wheels on disc brake equipt mountain bikes. 700c Rim + small tire is about the same overall diameter of a 26" rim with a fat tire. Makes for a great city bike. On a frame designed for 26" wheels you would not be able to run rim brakes without significant modifications.

They work just great on a 700c bike with rim brakes--I am running them with 700x37 Panaracer tires on my commuter bike for a nice plush ride.