Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's you opinion of AARP?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 10:13 PM

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that I am 50, I have been receiving junk mail from AARP. They want me to join for $12.50 a year. Do any of you belong to this organization? Is it worth it joining? Rather than read their ads, I wanted to ask people who already have experience with it. Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 06-08-05, 02:23 AM

Bikes: Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am an AARP member. I think I more than make up for the yearly dues in savings. Many local restaurants/attractions that have a 60-65 age for discounts give those discounts with an AARP card. I know if you search you can often find hotel rates at the same or cheaper than the AARP rates, but their rates are usually a 10% savings if you don't have the time or desire to search for bargains. If my memory hasn't failed me, I believe the yearly cost goes way down if you join for five years.
Old 06-08-05, 04:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems when you join your name and address are sold to every money seeking organization in existance. Its bad enuf when charge card companies do it, and when some states do it with info from driver license bureaus. I joined but quit after the first year cause of the flood of TRASH mail. I believe the savings offered are an illusion anyway compared with the invasion of one's privacy,of which there is precious little today
Seems to be self defeating when to save money one has to spend money otherwise not spent,sort of like shopping at "club" stores which charge annual membership and only sell items in huge quantities, ok for fats and families, but who wants 2 pounds of pepper or 10 pound lasagnas, and you see folkks leaving with flatbeds full of JUNK not otherwise bought just cause it was "cheap". "Sides" if saving was so satifactory and pleasant why do I see so few folks actually smiling while shopping?
Old 06-08-05, 05:24 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by JavaMan
Now that I am 50, I have been receiving junk mail from AARP. They want me to join for $12.50 a year. Do any of you belong to this organization? Is it worth it joining? Rather than read their ads, I wanted to ask people who already have experience with it. Thanks in advance for your input!

I've joined but have not seen the benefits-even at $12.50 per year. I get more of a reduction in lodging and other fees through other organizations.
Old 06-08-05, 05:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Generally, you can get the same reduction in motels through the "internet" rate, AAA, or by simply saying you are over 55. I don't know about the neverland between 50 and 55, but I have never been asked for an ID card by any motel check-in person. But maybe I just look old.

There are lots of ways for businesses to get a listing of those over 50, so you are going to get the junk mail no matter what. Besides, junk mail is what keeps the US Postal Service solvent. I just sort and throw. Haven't opened a piece of JM in years.

It hasn't gotten any cheaper for us over the years, but if I pay for three years in advance, I save about $6.00 over three annual payments.

I do believe it is important to have a lobbying organization at the national level representing the interests of those 50+, and my wife and I have been members for 17 years. I don't always agree with their viewpoints, but there is no national organization with which I would agree all the time.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-08-05 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-08-05, 08:08 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I refuse to join AARP because

1. don't want junk mail and junk offers
2. savings aren't any better than others have to offer
3. politics are extremely radical and not good for the nation as a whole.

If there were an organization promoting the needs of those over 50 that took a neutral stand on all none age/health issues, I'ld probably join. I don't see AARP changing in my lifetime. I can't think of one of their major issues I agreed with. For age and health problems, we need solutions promoted that are fair to both old and young. Our children will have to live under new laws longer than we will.

BTW, do you ever wonder how they get your name and address to mail their junk to?

AARP, enough already.
Old 06-08-05, 08:23 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
...Is it worth it joining?...
AARP = The Gray Mafia! They purport to speak for all seniors, do a poor job of it, and often find themselves lobbying at cross purposes to the opinion of the majority of their own members. I've been a member in the past, but I'm NOT happy with them.
Old 06-08-05, 08:25 AM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Radical?!?
Old 06-08-05, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jabike
I am an AARP member. I think I more than make up for the yearly dues in savings. Many local restaurants/attractions that have a 60-65 age for discounts give those discounts with an AARP card. I know if you search you can often find hotel rates at the same or cheaper than the AARP rates, but their rates are usually a 10% savings if you don't have the time or desire to search for bargains. If my memory hasn't failed me, I believe the yearly cost goes way down if you join for five years.
Are you saying that if I show an AARP card, restaurants/attractions that have a 60-65 age for discounts will give me the same discount even though I'm only 50?
Old 06-08-05, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I often don't agree with their politics, to wit: Gun control advocacy, but after doing research on Medigap policies, I found that the one offerred through them administered by United Healthcare was the best one IMO, and it required being a member. Hence, I reluctantly joined.
Old 06-08-05, 10:24 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Are you saying that if I show an AARP card, restaurants/attractions that have a 60-65 age for discounts will give me the same discount even though I'm only 50?
Most restaurants start their discounts at 55 - i.e., Wendy's (10%).

You have to ask the business - they won't tell you.

I think the policy varies for those 50-55 by business as to honoring the AARP card - have never actually had to use the AARP card.

Originally Posted by HiyoSilver
politics are extremely radical
Huh?
======================

I sent in my $29.50 for three more years this am.
Old 06-08-05, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though my biological age allows me to join AARP my mental outlook says I'm way too young to be joining the "retired persons" gang
Old 06-08-05, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want junk mail, be forced to be a member of NEA, National Education Association. I average 1 to 2 pieces a day. That is just with their name on the mailings. I have no idea how many pieces come from sources they sold my name and address to. Names and addresses are schredded and rest goes in recycle. By that standard the few I get from AARP are insignificant. AARP has enough good things going for it that to me it is worth it.

Over 60, AAA, AARP, and retired military ID card usually get me a discount at motels, restruants, car rentals, etc. Don't count on the over 60 discounts at restruants as many times you get half the food for $1.00 off. Not what you are looking for after a hard ride. I will say that some senior menus you get the salad and drink included but they are extra for the full meal.
63 and still working.
Phil
Old 06-08-05, 12:26 PM

Bikes: mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
be ready for junk mail and BS

They don't in any way reflect my opinions - I consider most of their propaganda as crap. They truly do not understand the process and problems of aging.

If you join once - keep the card - it works forever for discounts

Tom
Old 06-08-05, 01:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rusht8205
...If you join once - keep the card - it works forever for discounts

Tom
I threw the whole thing away last night, and there was a paper card with it already. Oh well, from the sound of things, I should be receiving another one in the mail shortly
Old 06-08-05, 05:01 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had AARP for about 2 years but quit. Didn't find anything useful, except I did like reading their little magazine.
Old 06-08-05, 05:17 PM
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
I refuse to join AARP because

1. don't want junk mail and junk offers
2. savings aren't any better than others have to offer
3. politics are extremely radical and not good for the nation as a whole.

If there were an organization promoting the needs of those over 50 that took a neutral stand on all none age/health issues, I'ld probably join. I don't see AARP changing in my lifetime. I can't think of one of their major issues I agreed with. For age and health problems, we need solutions promoted that are fair to both old and young. Our children will have to live under new laws longer than we will.

BTW, do you ever wonder how they get your name and address to mail their junk to?

AARP, enough already.
Well stated - and I second your notion!
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 06-08-05, 05:20 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AARP is against privatization of Social Security and recently spent more than $5 million on political TV ads... those funds didn't appear out of thin air...

i would be wary of any organization that is hypocritical and political in its approach to pushing agendas... AARP's investment portfolio is nearly $1 billion, with the majority invested in stocks and mutual funds - a strategy that it is advocating against using money from its members!

i personally see little benefit from joining AARP - the organization doesn't represent my interests at all...
Old 06-08-05, 08:21 PM

Bikes: 06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was member for 1 1/2 years but about 60 days ago, I wrote the President of AARP and demanded my name be removed from the membership roster. That was after I saw a commercial that was against Social Security reform. I got to looking into everything AARP was supporting and turns out my leanings are just the opposite.
I've been watching an organization called USA NEXT https://www.usanext.org/. Art Linkletter is a
spokesman and it reflects my views better. But, I'm going to watch for a while before joining.
I've found the discounts are there without AARP.
Old 06-08-05, 09:04 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5& 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree with the organization is way too liberal. Started getting their offers to join in the mail and replied that I had no interest in joining them due to their politics and asked to be removed from their mailing list. Haven't heard from them since.

Alan
Old 06-09-05, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I don't use AARP card for anything. I do send them annual payments exclusively because their political stances mirror mine, especially fighting the dismantling of Social Security and medicare.
Old 06-09-05, 12:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AARP is way too far left for liking. Almost any issue the have I find that they are very far left of my position.
Joe
Old 06-09-05, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, you guys brought up some great issues! I'm glad I asked for your advice.

By the way, I won't be joining AARP.

The responses so far seem to be about 4 to 1 against.
Old 06-09-05, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is nothing wrong with being liberal. Take your politics to a different forum.
Old 06-12-05, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
USANext is an organization that President Bush and Karl Rove have dispatched on a smear campaign against the American Association for Retired Persons. They were discredited months ago, February to be exact, and really deserve no second thoughts. They are part of the press on the dole, simply masquerading as legitimit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.