Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Newb, advice on first bike (did a search)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all- This is my first post. I'm looking at purchasing my first MTB. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and have read numerous threads. I'm 5'9" 185lbs. The riding I've done so far has been primarily trail riding (using friends' bikes.) I've been looking at bikes in the $400-$800 range, but now have a friend that's selling a 2002 Giant Rincon (19") for $100. It was only used for one season. Would it be worth it to get this bike and use it for a season and then upgrade? Or should I just spend the money and buy new?

Any and all advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-08-05, 11:50 AM
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1. Make sure the 19'' bike would fit you. At 5'9'' it might be a bit big.

2. I think it would be worth getting the bike if you used it for a year without putting any other money into it. Save up some dough for a new bike, while spending some time riding this bike. See what you like to do and don't like to do while riding.

3. see if he will take $80

4. Do not upgrade it.
Old 06-08-05, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, for $100, you'll be getting an entry level bike at a discount big box store price.

If you find out you really enjoy the sport, then invest the money on a decent bike.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 06-08-05, 11:59 AM
chopsockey

Bikes: Monkey SS everythingbike, Ti frankenroadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting with a used bike is the way to go. Keep a mental catalog of things you'd like to change about it, so that when you're ready to drop money on a new (or newer used) bike, you'll have an idea of what you'd like different.
Old 06-09-05, 03:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
I agree, for $100, you'll be getting an entry level bike at a discount big box store price.

If you find out you really enjoy the sport, then invest the money on a decent bike.
Couldn't agree more , I started out w/ a hardtail rockhopper,that bike worked great for me ,I rode (endo'd 1/2 a dozen times,cracked a helmet) learned alot & got seriously hooked on riding ,than upgraded to a specialized epic.
Use the entry level bike for your learning/find out if this is for me time.

"Oh yeah ride it like ya stole it!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 06-09-05, 06:30 AM
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, its a 2002, we're in 2005 and its only been used for one season? I sold my 2004 Rincon early this year and it was pooped after a year, fortunately I was able to sell it to a law student and part time journalist so I felt pretty good about myself . How big is your friend? does he beat ***** out it? Because a Rincons a decent entry bike but they wont take a sustained hammering. It could be good, but it could equally be crapped out. I think you need professional advice on this bike if you are not sure of your own judgement. Maybe you could ask him to take it to shop for a service and see what they recommend he do for it.
Old 06-09-05, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I went and checked out the bike. It was in great shape. Tires pretty much still had the "nipples" on them. It has an aftermarket seat...waay more comfortable. Chain was slightly rusty and the derailleur needs to be adjusted, but other than that it was VERY clean.

The previous owner was about my height, but weighed about 30lbs less than me.

He threw in a bike rack for my jeep (holds 3 bikes) plus a lock and "under the seat" bag.

Great deal for $100. I think.

If I get 3 mos. out of it I'll be happy. At least then I'll have a better feel for what I'm looking for in a new bike.
Old 06-09-05, 03:05 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppy360

Works for me
Old 06-09-05, 03:11 PM
Senior Goat Hearder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Racks can be $50-$100 themselves. You got a great deal, enjoy the new ride!
Old 06-09-05, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I went and checked out the bike. It was in great shape. Tires pretty much still had the "nipples" on them. It has an aftermarket seat...waay more comfortable. Chain was slightly rusty and the derailleur needs to be adjusted, but other than that it was VERY clean.

He threw in a bike rack for my jeep (holds 3 bikes) plus a lock and "under the seat" bag.

If I get 3 mos. out of it I'll be happy. At least then I'll have a better feel for what I'm looking for in a new bike.
My good god man, that's such a snag!

Congrats on getting a good deal. Now let's see if biking becomes your mistress.
Old 06-09-05, 06:27 PM
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep that is a good deal, congrats!
Old 06-09-05, 06:32 PM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great deal. Score on the rack. Now get out and ride it like you stole it (which you virtually did!)
Old 06-10-05, 12:25 AM

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a helluva deal. I got a 2000 and road the crap out of it for 5 years doing anything and everything with it I could think of. I had no idea what I was doing. I can still hear the salesman echoing in my head, "do not jump this bike" he said that so many times it was annoying. He even said it when I called and asked about a flat tire..."You were jumping the bike weren't you" I'd only had the thing two days, so no I wasn't. But I did later and curbs and just all kinds of crap. It got stolen, those bastard bums. Have fun with it and ride the crap out of it.
Old 06-10-05, 07:52 AM
:\ ping of death

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im still riding my first mtb two years later
Old 06-10-05, 07:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iron Horse has a lower end bike called the Sinister, full suspension, decent parts, I rode one at Dicks Sporting goods one day and It seemed like a great bike for the price
Old 06-10-05, 04:30 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NSANEtotheMAX
Iron Horse has a lower end bike called the Sinister, full suspension, decent parts, I rode one at Dicks Sporting goods one day and It seemed like a great bike for the price
Could you be anymore off topic? Did you actually read the original post? Dick's is NOT a BIKE SHOP!