Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

New TX2 Stealth Wheelsets has arrived in my mail...

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

New TX2 Stealth Wheelsets has arrived in my mail..., does anyone know if the spokes need to be checked for spoke tension brand new out of the box or are they good to go ?
Old 11-20-17, 10:55 AM
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by loopless
New TX2 Stealth Wheelsets has arrived in my mail..., does anyone know if the spokes need to be checked for spoke tension brand new out of the box or are they good to go ?
They should be good to go. I received mine by mail from HouseofTandems and have never touched the spoke tension.
Old 11-21-17, 01:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thank you.

I contacted spinergy on facebook and they have re-affirmed the point you made .
Old 11-21-17, 03:01 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@DKMcK - by the way, what are your views on the hub ratchet sound volume ? do you feel they are a tad loud ?
Old 11-21-17, 06:09 AM
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by loopless
@DKMcK - by the way, what are your views on the hub ratchet sound volume ? do you feel they are a tad loud ?
I pull the cassette carrier off and grease the ratchet and the cogs inside the hub. It quiets it down very nicely and does not effect performance. I've done that on all my wheels.

Dwight
Old 11-21-17, 10:15 AM
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zzzxxx111
Old School thought was to have new wheels trued after 1-2 hundred miles, after things have "settled in". No harm done if you do. Is this still done?
The Spinergy BPO spokes are not metal, do not stretch out or need seating (they screw in both ends) as would the other wheels/concept you are likely referring to. So the answer is no, don't mess with them.

Ric @ HouseOfTandems is the N. America distributor (and originator of getting Spinergy to make these tandem wheels), so it is always best to contact him with any questions or issues.
Old 11-26-17, 12:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've now had the wheels installed and rode them for about 40km. Came home and checked truness and they were true - truer than the original wheelset that came with the dale RT2.
i know its still in the early days but my, i'm really impressed by the quality of this wheelset.

loving the hub rachet sound as well!.
Old 11-27-17, 11:16 AM

Bikes: '12 Felt F85, '14 Felt Edict Nine 1, '15 C'dale T1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Pics by chance? Are you using rim or disc brakes? Reason I ask is, the Spinergy rep told me that only the machined sidewall rims were available this fall, and black sidewalls were coming around the first of the year.
Old 11-27-17, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Land Shark Pro Carbon Tandem, Ventana ECdM 27.5+, Salsa Powderkeg

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yamato72
Pics by chance? Are you using rim or disc brakes? Reason I ask is, the Spinergy rep told me that only the machined sidewall rims were available this fall, and black sidewalls were coming around the first of the year.

Here is a pic of the Spinergy Z Lite wheels, all black with disc brakes and PBO bladed spokes.
We have now about 3100 miles on them and they are as true as the day we got them. Awesome wheelset!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zHY7ZZiC3tDdtIrI3
Old 11-28-17, 11:24 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I havent got any pics. Mine are the very same ones that are on spinergy's website.
Alloy rim brake surface silver. Version is disc.

that's the only version that was available but yeah, agree if there was a black alloy version (full) that will be awesome.
Old 11-30-17, 01:32 AM

Bikes: Ventana ECDM, Santana Beyond, Cannondale Mtn tandem, Double Vision Recumbent, Specialized Epic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by twocicle
Ric @ HouseOfTandems is the N. America distributor (and originator of getting Spinergy to make these tandem wheels), so it is always best to contact him with any questions or issues.
Thanks for putting this info in the post. I had a nice conversation with Ric who explained the different models of wheels available. They were just getting the shop opened after cleaning up from Texas flooding. Had a few more questions answered by email and now excited to get new wheels next week.
Old 12-06-17, 11:44 AM

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", Trek Emonda SLR 7, Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
The Spinergy BPO spokes are not metal, do not stretch out or need seating (they screw in both ends) as would the other wheels/concept you are likely referring to. So the answer is no, don't mess with them.

Different experience here. I got our Stealth wheels (DaVinci disc model) earlier in 2017. They were not true on arrival and I had to do a little work with the Park tension meter and a truing stand to get them to an acceptable state. IIRC it was only the rear wheel, but I'm not sure. The last time I checked they were still ok after about 1,500 miles.

The rear wheel has a very distinct heavy spot. Probably not an issue when riders are on the bike, but in the work stand if I spin up the back wheel the whole bike begins to bounce up and down from the imbalance. Overall I'm very happy with the wheels but I wish they were balanced better.
Old 12-06-17, 04:54 PM

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan_F

The rear wheel has a very distinct heavy spot. Probably not an issue when riders are on the bike, but in the work stand if I spin up the back wheel the whole bike begins to bounce up and down from the imbalance. Overall I'm very happy with the wheels but I wish they were balanced better.
I would try to fix this if it was my wheel. Does the imbalance persist if you remove the tire, tube and rim strip? Is it true radially as well as laterally? If the rim really has an imbalance, I would ask Spinergy for a repair or replacement.

I bought a pair of Z lite tandem wheels earlier this year. They were true out of the box. After running them in for a couple hundred miles, I made minor tweaks to a couple of spokes on each wheel. They’ve held true since after another 1500 miles.
Old 12-09-17, 02:15 PM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...The rear wheel has a very distinct heavy spot...Overall I'm very happy with the wheels but I wish they were balanced better.
Could be the tyre. Did you rotate the tyre with respect to the rim and see if the balance issue is tyre related?
Old 12-10-17, 12:13 PM

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", Trek Emonda SLR 7, Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The hop was present before the tire was mounted and didn't change much with the tire installed.

Alan
Old 12-14-17, 09:40 AM
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Different experience here. I got our Stealth wheels (DaVinci disc model) earlier in 2017. They were not true on arrival and I had to do a little work with the Park tension meter and a truing stand to get them to an acceptable state. IIRC it was only the rear wheel, but I'm not sure. The last time I checked they were still ok after about 1,500 miles.

Not really a "different experience" regarding BPO spokes going out of true, but with the state of your wheels out of the box. Sure if they are not set right from mfr then some initial tweaking would be needed, but otherwise the BPO spokes do not stretch and do not need initial seating as do most regular metal spokes (stretch) and nipples (seating).

I highly suggest to let Ric @ HoT know of your wheel delivery experience. In many cases, he will insist on replacing a suspect wheel with a perfect new one. My experience with Ric is pretty much what I would call concierge service. Help Ric ensure the product is built correctly from the factory.

Last edited by twocicle; 12-14-17 at 09:52 AM.