Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reasonable Bicycle lock to prevent "Thefts of opportunity", when on brevets

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Reasonable Bicycle lock to prevent "Thefts of opportunity", when on brevets

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 08:52 AM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm sure a Tigr works fine at a convenience store, assuming the area isn't too sketchy. However, there are videos of people getting into them really quickly.

Seems like I have seen people attaching them to top tubes.
Old 01-03-18, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
On bike tours I often use a small cable lock like skiers use (see photo) when I go in a restaurant where I will be able to see my bike. But grocery store stops where I will be in the store for a longer time and not able to see the bike, I use a better lock.

And on bicycle tours, I rarely lock up both wheels, I use the bolt on skewers that use a 5mm allen wrench, not a quick release. i am assuming that most bike thieves are opportunists, do not carry a multi-tool with them.
I have one like that, and I also have a slightly heftier cable + small padlock. The tiny ski lock can be hard to find anything to attach to, so I usually carry the longer cable/padlock. I often don't lock up on brevets, if I can see the bike from inside the convenience store, or if there's an entire pack of bikes. (I remember boggling at one point on an early spring 100k in suburban at ~$100K of bikes stuffed into a snowdrift like it was a bike rack, none locked, while everyone was inside eating in a small restaurant. Then I stuffed my bike into the snowdrift too and went and had lunch. Was fine.)
Old 01-03-18, 10:31 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
I have one like that, and I also have a slightly heftier cable + small padlock. The tiny ski lock can be hard to find anything to attach to, so I usually carry the longer cable/padlock. I often don't lock up on brevets, if I can see the bike from inside the convenience store, or if there's an entire pack of bikes. (I remember boggling at one point on an early spring 100k in suburban at ~$100K of bikes stuffed into a snowdrift like it was a bike rack, none locked, while everyone was inside eating in a small restaurant. Then I stuffed my bike into the snowdrift too and went and had lunch. Was fine.)
I have only had one bike stolen. I was in a store, saw someone grab it outside the window. I ran outside and ran behind the thief, but I had left it in the perfect gear for him to accelerate away from me. It was not much of a bike but I was a high school student, that bike cost a couple of months of wages from my part time job.

I am not saying I am obsessive about locking up bikes, when I bike toured Iceland the crime rate was so low that I went days at a time without locking up my bike. But I get very nervous in high foot traffic areas about opportunistic bike theft.
Old 01-03-18, 07:18 PM
Randomhead

Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
there are some really deadbeat looking towns here in Central Pennsylvania where I feel somewhat uncomfortable leaving my bike. One of these towns features two convenience stores, both of which have windows that start well above bike level. The first time I rode through there, I was concerned about someone riding off on my bike. So I put it in a really high gear as I rode into the parking lot. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough momentum to make it, and when I tried to pedal I just fell over. I'm sure they were talking about that little feat for some time afterwards.
Old 01-03-18, 10:58 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Some of these locks and helmet-tying schemes would be a bad idea for me. Toward the end of a long brevet, *I* might not be able to remember the combo or have the dexterity to untie a knot.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-03-18, 11:13 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounce

So: what lock do you carry on brevets, if any ? (I currently carry a $5 cheapo cable lock that rarely gets used)
TiGr with bow mounted on my top tube, and lock core elsewhere. While you can go through it with a big pair of bolt cutters, cable cutters won't do it;
Old 01-03-18, 11:15 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherbrian
I bought a TiGr lock (https://www.tigrlock.com) with the plan for taking it on a tour. It’s not too heavy (less than 1lbs) though it is an awkward shape and I haven’t found a good place to mount it besides within the main triangle.
The straight TiGrs fit around your top tube
Old 01-08-18, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG
Here's the answer to all your troubles. I have this lock in the 30 inch variation. It's nimble, hardly weighs anything, and it can be the perfect bike lock in a pinch when needed for a few minutes. I don't use it for anything longer than grabbing coffee, beer (in view), quick run into a store.
https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock
+1

I have used one this past riding season - gives me the confidence to leave bike unattended for a short period - likely more protection than a cable

Seems well made + combination # lock eliminates hassle of keys
Old 01-08-18, 03:33 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
On some rides where I expect to stop for an errand, bathroom or very brief shopping task, I carry a handgun cable lock, which is a 14" long armored steel cable that resists smaller cutting tools quite well. It fits easily in a pants or jersey pocket when looped and locked as shown. It cost almost nothing as these seem to be subsidized.
*(Add favorite joke about just carrying the titanium sig or kahr 380 instead)*

On some coffee-shop rest stops I remove the front QR and take it with me, hoping that a bike grabber would be surprised by the wheel falling off or would wisely be afraid to ride it away.

The modest 168g weight of the lock is somewhat offset by the use of other lightweight pocket-carry items, such as sub-30g adjustable wrench, Chain/multi-tool and SKS Sub40 (gram) carbon mini-pump, though my super-thin, old and worn Body Billfold wallet is shown stuffed with a heavy load of bills.

Last edited by dddd; 01-08-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge A1, Ave Maldea Cyclocross/Gravel, 80's Panasonic Demonta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77

Also, if you clip (or tie a knot, if you're willing to go that far) your helmet in between the fork's legs, that requires some additional manual dexterity to maneuver your fingers in between the spokes (which may buy a little extra time for you to spot a would-be thief fiddling with the bike). Or hopefully prove too much of a hassle that the thief may just hop on and ride off with another easier target.

Attachment 594147
Bit unrelated but if you don't mind me asking, is that minipump also a co2 inflator or did you just effectively bodge the mount for the cartridges as well? Looks interesting
Old 01-10-18, 08:07 AM
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Kristan
Bit unrelated but if you don't mind me asking, is that minipump also a co2 inflator or did you just effectively bodge the mount for the cartridges as well? Looks interesting
That's the Topeak Hybrid Rocket HP pump:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ybridrocket-hp

The only mods I made was to wrap the canisters with inner tube (to minimize impact of road vibration on the canisters against the down tube), and also using Velcro to secure the tubes to the pump (as they have a habit of working themselves loose from bad road conditions).
Old 01-12-18, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
The Kryptonite R2 is a 3' cable combination lock that can help keep honest people honest, and it weighs just 3 ozs.
Old 01-12-18, 04:51 PM

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
I have a 6' cable lock I made for $11 from materials at ACE hardware. The first bit was a small padlock which comes with two keys.

I then bought some heavy aircraft cable up the aisle from the locks with some thimbles and nicos. I used a nicopress (swaging tool) to install the thimbles on the ends of the cable and swaged it all together with the nicopress.

The result was cheap, fits easily on the map side of my tangle bag and weighs about 1/4 pound. Its just to keep people honest when in small towns (I ride the Tour Divide). The bike typically weighs about 50 pounds anyway, so it would be hard for someone to race off with it and the lock can be easily defeated, but in most of the towns on the Tour Divide that's not really a problem.
Old 01-12-18, 05:39 PM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
This came free from ribble when I picked up a shirt and set of tyres.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cafe-lock-r-cl10/

...And it's really easy to change the combination by accident.

Last edited by znomit; 01-13-18 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I got the Hiplock Z, haven’t used it yet but just FYI: each pack comes with two of them. I ordered two and wound up with four.
Old 01-24-18, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THIS.... plus putting the shifters in a completely different gear than the bike, so riding off is challenging. Barely works with Di2 though. The damn stuff just drops cleanly into gear as soon as [thief] starts pedaling.

Originally Posted by atwl77
As a deterrent against opportunistic theft, the helmet is "yet another hassle" that the would-be thief has to fumble with, in addition to any other deterrents (i.e. cable lock). Plus, you typically have a helmet with you, so it's not something extra you have to carry about.

Also, if you clip (or tie a knot, if you're willing to go that far) your helmet in between the fork's legs, that requires some additional manual dexterity to maneuver your fingers in between the spokes (which may buy a little extra time for you to spot a would-be thief fiddling with the bike). Or hopefully prove too much of a hassle that the thief may just hop on and ride off with another easier target.

Attachment 594147
Old 01-28-18, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode a 200k brevet yesterday and used the HiplockZ "locks" for when leaving bike attended for 3-5 minutes going to restroom or stepping in a store. I keep them attached on the bike and they weigh next to nothing. Just don't lose the little key.
Old 01-28-18, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Flounce, how did you store your key? Just in a closed pocket on your, in your pack, around neck on lanyard?
Old 01-29-18, 01:55 AM

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Personally, I like to keep my keys in a zippered jersey pocket or trouser pocket that I don't routinely open and close for other items, such as wallets, phone, etc. so there is absolutely no risk of dropping it while pulling out something else.
Old 01-29-18, 11:05 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Sometimes I just sabotage my bike. I shift the chain into the big chainring and big cog. Then I push the shift levers forward so the bike will want to shift when pedaled. I disconnect the brakes and open the skewers. So if someone gets on the bike, these steps will slow him down, and he might also fall.

This won't prevent someone from picking the bike up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-29-18, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since it is so small & easily lost, and used so infrequently, I kept the little key on a 6 inch loop of bright yarn/string and then put in the ziplock bag that I use for keeping my brevet card and receipts from controls (and my
dental retainer that cost a $1000!). While riding, that ziplock bag is in a bento box bag on the top tube. When leaving the bike locked, I take that ziplock bag with me and keep it in a zipped pant pocket.
Old 01-29-18, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Good deal Flounce. I bought one too after reading this thread.