Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building winter bike shoes hack

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 10:33 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an idea to build a cheaper more practical winter solution for real cold riding .

So first you will need a pair of cycle shoes . what kind you get , where you get , and how much you pay will be up to you.

You will then get some layers , i choose to use two layers of wool socks and a cheap water proof cycle shoe cover s

You will need some materials , you will need some insulating materials. , i would choose flexible stuff maybe an old coat or stuff you buy , you will also need a bottom seal . i thought to use some radiator backing or plastic , you will need two layers of this .

So you start your build by cuting the bottom seal to the shape of your shoes then pull the first socks over the shoes . to make it easier build it on your feet . use some glue to form the first layer attaching it to your sock
layer put as much as you like , but try not to make it to constricting . put the next sock layer over you r insulation layer and attach the bottom seal to the out side and inside (remove the layers carefully or start with the inside seal on the inside first)and try to make note of where your cleat holes will be , cut the cleat hole and put the waterproof layer over the socks layer and glue it as tight as you can to the cleat area leaving room for the cleat area , maybe sew the socks to the waterproof layer

You should have a real cheap solution , if you already have some old shoes laying around 😄.....
Old 01-01-18, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Do you have some photos?

Each person's winter needs are different. Here the biggest issue is WET. So, good waterproof shoes, and not that much to worry about frostbite. Uncomfortable... perhaps, but frostbite no.

I've been down to the mid twenties with my Shimano MW series shoes. And, if you're that cold, then there is less of a need for perfect waterproofing (although melting snow could be an issue for some).
Old 01-02-18, 07:20 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Photos would really help with this thread.
Old 01-02-18, 08:43 AM

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
How do you close your shoes with so many layers permanently over top ?
Old 01-02-18, 01:25 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you just roll them down or build a zipper into the back , if you have the skills , but i have a boa dial on the top ... i could take pics once i remake them , oh and they would be perma-attached i messed up the layers will be glued to the plastic ( or ridigid material ) bottom you can then make a weather seal around the cleat hole ..

Last edited by providencebikes; 01-02-18 at 01:39 PM.